IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV

I got my STi about a week and a half ago and haven't driven it too much yet. When I bought it from the dealership I also added on a GReddy turbo timer to the price of the car, which the dealership installed. Just recently I realized that when the turbo timer is on and the car is idling, I can't set the alarm! :x This was fairly disconcerting at first, but then I realized that I can lock the doors still. But even then, what's the use of having an alarm if you can't set it? Or what's the point of having a turbo timer if you have to wait around anyway to set the alarm? Very disappointing.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
if you insist on having a turbo timer get a complete alarm system that has the TT included. The compustar systems have TT, alarm and a lot of other nice features.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Python, Viper and DEI alarm brands should be releasing a unit like the Compustar with a built in TT in the very near future. I will be getting one of these units installed when it comes out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
there are two wires that you snip off to make the car alarm arm while the turbo timer is running. below are the instructions.

Step 1: After installing your turbo timer with the under dash panel off, locate the black relay box on top of the fuse panel. Unbolt 1 (10mm) bolt and cut the Green with Black wire. Tape both ends of the wire and reinstall relay box. Reassemble under dash panel.

Step 2: Remove the panel in front of the armrest by pulling up on the cup holder. Disconnect the power mirror terminal. Locate the wiring terminal for the security system. Cut the Grey Wire. Tape both ends. Reattach power mirror terminal and cup holder panel.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
WRX_STi_04 said:
I got my STi about a week and a half ago and haven't driven it too much yet. When I bought it from the dealership I also added on a GReddy turbo timer to the price of the car, which the dealership installed. Just recently I realized that when the turbo timer is on and the car is idling, I can't set the alarm! :x This was fairly disconcerting at first, but then I realized that I can lock the doors still. But even then, what's the use of having an alarm if you can't set it? Or what's the point of having a turbo timer if you have to wait around anyway to set the alarm? Very disappointing.
A friend of mine has a TT on his evo and the same thing happens... he said that he needed a relay of some kind *shrug*, maybe that will help? Its only like $1 so it'd be worth a shot wiring one in.

Robert~

lol nm xman seems to have it covered well enough

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gear ratios

Hey thanks a lot for all of your suggestions. I think it should help a lot. When it comes to not having a turbo timer at all...I don't know, I just don't quite feel right about just shutting the car off after driving it for a while. A lot of people have told me that you don't really need a turbo timer for the WRX STi, but I guess I'm just too skeptical. I think it's better to be too careful though. I'd rather have a turbo timer than have to replace a turbo down the line. ($$$)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
One of these days I'm going to write up a "Why you don't need a turbo timer" page with pictures of the elevated coolant reservoir and the coolant line running right into the turbo.

Good luck with it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a great idea. I say go for it. The thing for me is that I believe you, but I'm just too much of a pansie to not idle it. I don't know why. It's probably because I've owned other turbocharged cars in the past and I'm just used to it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My local Subaru master tech told me that if you've been flogging the turbo then let the turbo cool by running the engine below 2000 rpms for about 90 seconds. After that you can shut it off and let the coolant reservoir do its work. But for daily driving you should be fine. Really it's a pretty ingenious system. Too bad if we want an aftermarket turbo we won't be able to use this feature :wink: . Not that I'm replacing the turbo anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That is a different case, yes. If you've been out on the circuit or running it really hard, you should let it just idle for a little bit. But for 95% of situations, you are just fine.

Can you really not use the stock coolant hookups with a different turbo? I don't know anything about turbo swaps.....so I'm curious.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Greddy TT I bought a few years back included instructions to wire it
up to work with an alarm immediately- problem was, the instructions
were ni Japanese. I had a friend of a friend look at it and he said that is
definitely what was described, I just never got it translated as the car it
was in didn't have an alarm as it was a track-dedicated race car.

-Sporty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts