IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i figure since there is a lot of people running lots of different setups here I would ask maybe some to chime in. I am looking to replace my turbo with an 1.5XTR but i know there might be some "better" suggestions out there. Basically this car is my daily driver and track rat, it needs to make some serious low end jam. I am open to options but it cannot be laggy. I was 1 click from confirming payments for the 1.5XTR(yes i know its not sub 4k spool) but got cold feet and figure I would ask for input before it was writen in stone.

Needs: 410tq at the wheels capable with low end grunt (sub 4k? dare i say?)

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
But you need a lot more than just a turbo to fully support it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But you need a lot more than just a turbo to fully support it.
Not really what i was looking for, I know whats needed I was looking first hand experience for turbo commendations that is all.

My current list after speaking with some people is

- FP Red (a bit laggy i know, but cheap)
- Blouch 1.5XTR
- STX71
- 71HTA

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
For faster spool and not as much holding power in the high RPMs go with a 1.5xtr with a 8 cm hotside.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You can get a drop in, with an OEM style hotside. It will not perform as well as what you're seeing here since the OEM style hotside, but it is "drop-in".

This plot comes off our Spoolinator kit that uses a V-Band Tial hotside, which is really the heart of the kit and why it performs as well as it does IMO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went with the 2.5 Xtr, also have killerB header/up/ewg w/ swaintech coating. I was worried about spool but now that I have it I'm glad I went with the 2.5. I have the 2.5" inlet and 10cm. It spools so fast that I think I could have went with even a bigger turbo and be satisfied. I'm sure the headers/up/ewg from killer B helps alot.

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Not really what i was looking for, I know whats needed I was looking first hand experience for turbo commendations that is all.

My current list after speaking with some people is

- FP Red (a bit laggy i know, but cheap)
- Blouch 1.5XTR
- STX71
- 71HTA

Even with this addition, my reply was dead on. You wrote as if replacing just the turbo was goings to (assumedly safely) net you power only achievable with a lot of other parts/work and or money.

Here's what you wrote:

Hey guys i figure since there is a lot of people running lots of different setups here I would ask maybe some to chime in. I am looking to replace my turbo with an 1.5XTR
. . .
Needs: 410tq at the wheels capable with low end grunt (sub 4k? dare i say?)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Go rotated or with Killer B's setup. Using the stock style hotside just leaves too much on the table. For reference, my rotated 3076r with front mount hits 300 ft lbs 200rpm later than(and peak torque almost exactly the same RPM as) a dom 1.5 with a tmic on the same dyno, but makes a good 50whp/50wtq more. A rotated GTX or EFR of the right size will give you more headroom for power and spool as fast or faster than the dom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts