IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had a problem for a year where i have lost oil consistently at a rate of about 1qt/500 miles. I have not found anything to leak, there is no smoke out the exhaust or excessive
pressure from under oil cap when the car is running.
I just recently made the car (03 gdb sti with ej207) a purely hobby car after dailying it for a year so i now have a chance to tear stuff down finally, i noticed this weird PCV connection was very oily and was wondering if that contributes to the issue. I also cant figure out what the part actually is as its just listed as FIG.050 on the diagram so if anyone could tell me what the part is that would be great.

Also could the turbo simply let enough oil seep through to cause this amount of loss even if there isnt any smoke from the exhaust? I noticed oil in the throttle body and the part of the turbo that connects to the IC so it lets a small oil cloud on cold starts every now and then.
Originally i thought the valve covers and cam seals were leaking but after having those replaced it turned out to not be the problem. Plugs were not oily either.

If anyone has any clue to help me it would be great, as i continue to be very confused about this issue. Last resort is to tear the engine apart if there is no other option than piston rings being bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part on the car, right next to the turbo, the hose was also very oily altho not cracked, mouth of turbo was also pretty oily but i had cleaned it up a bit by the time of the pic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is definately oil soot on the tailpipe, and i can see greyish/blackish smoke a bit when flooring it. Oil has a scent of gasoline in it.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
That part is the PCV valve. They are cheap, and definitely replace it if you suspect it's problematic. It can cause all kinds of symptoms.

On the turbo, once you pull the downpipe, you will know if there's an oil seal problem as it will have heavy or wet soot.

On the intake side, some oil accumulation is normal, a lot is not.

How many miles are on this engine? has there been a compression and leak-down test done?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That part is the PCV valve. They are cheap, and definitely replace it if you suspect it's problematic. It can cause all kinds of symptoms.

On the turbo, once you pull the downpipe, you will know if there's an oil seal problem as it will have heavy or wet soot.

On the intake side, some oil accumulation is normal, a lot is not.

How many miles are on this engine? has there been a compression and leak-down test done?
Have not been able to get compression numbers or leakdown done yet as its very recent that i made it a hobby car, checking other stuff i mentioned first.
Engine has only 105k miles on it! (last 10k driven by me 95% 1hour+ highway trips) last owner did bearings for the engine afaik.
Also thank you for telling me what that part is! I for some reason believed that the jdm ej207 didnt have it like the american 2.5l's!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I agree with KB. Some oil in the intake track is normal for a forced induction application. However, you shouldnt have tons of it. I would first start out with replacing the PCV valve. A clogged or faulty pcv valve can cause all kinds of weird problems and lead you to think there is something seriously wrong. KB is correct about inspecting the turbo from the hot side after removing the downpipe. If you see oil in the hotside of the turbo then that is a problem but normally you will be getting alot of smoke if that is the case. If all else fails and you are still experiencing oil consumption, then i would suggest compression and leakdown test to verify engine health.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have not been able to get compression numbers or leakdown done yet as its very recent that i made it a hobby car, checking other stuff i mentioned first.
Engine has only 105k miles on it! (last 10k driven by me 95% 1hour+ highway trips) last owner did bearings for the engine afaik.
Also thank you for telling me what that part is! I for some reason believed that the jdm ej207 didnt have it like the american 2.5l's!
Have you installed an AOS?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with KB. Some oil in the intake track is normal for a forced induction application. However, you shouldnt have tons of it. I would first start out with replacing the PCV valve. A clogged or faulty pcv valve can cause all kinds of weird problems and lead you to think there is something seriously wrong. KB is correct about inspecting the turbo from the hot side after removing the downpipe. If you see oil in the hotside of the turbo then that is a problem but normally you will be getting alot of smoke if that is the case. If all else fails and you are still experiencing oil consumption, then i would suggest compression and leakdown test to verify engine health.
Thanks alot for the help bro! I cannot find a PCV Valve on Amayama which is weird because it has all the diagrams and all the parts etc. Do you really think only a PCV valve could cause THIS big of oil loss tho??
Either way i'll look to order one but I can only find them on the 2.5L for some reason.. When i originally got the car i researched to get a new PCV valve as i thought that might be my problem but came to find they dont have them in the JDM/EDM EJ207, what would the part number be for the 2L engines?
Also im going to be dropping the downpipe and checking that possibility out as soon as my uncle has room in his garage!

·
Registered
568 Posts
i got mine with 112k on it with same oil loss...fixed my PCV, ran seafoam through brake booster hose, fuel and in oil as well as a quart of ATF through the fuel and it stopped any consumption...am currently 176k on stock block with no noticeable consumption...have developed breather and turbo return leaks which will be fixed in the near future tho lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got mine with 112k on it with same oil loss...fixed my PCV, ran seafoam through brake booster hose, fuel and in oil as well as a quart of ATF through the fuel and it stopped any consumption...am currently 176k on stock block with no noticeable consumption...have developed breather and turbo return leaks which will be fixed in the near future tho lol
God damn i need to order this pcv valve right now... i found it 11815AB213 part number! What other symptoms did you have?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually are these the ones i should get together?
11810AA000
11815AB213

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right lads I just ordered:
11810AA000
11815AB213
I will update them as they arrive from Japan within 3 ish weeks and I go slap em on! If this solves my problem i'll be genuinely amazed and relieved and possibly the happiest guy alive!

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
266 Posts
The reason the AOS was mentioned is because it actually entirely replaces the PCV valve.
The PCV is actually due to be "inspected" (replaced) every 40k, so I was due to replace it recently, but I installed an IAG AOS which eliminates the OEM part entirely.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason the AOS was mentioned is because it actually entirely replaces the PCV valve.
The PCV is actually due to be "inspected" (replaced) every 40k, so I was due to replace it recently, but I installed an IAG AOS which eliminates the OEM part entirely.
Oh right, im surely gonna try it down the road, just going to see if this fixes this huge glaring issue of oil consumption so i can drive the car with happiness and slap on a cold air intake, exhaust system, tune and the basic lil stuff ^^ Really hope its not rebuild time as that would mean atleast half a year of the car just sitting there because im not made of money!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RESURRECTION! Parts came yesterday and I installed em last night, put in the whole shabang: PCV Valve and the combination of hoses to go along with it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how absolutely gunked up and clogged the old hoses were, along with being hard as a rock! They seemed like a plastic/rubber mixture but had gone to resemble hard plastic lmao. I am not sure whether the old valve was faulty or not tho, I sprayed a whole lot of WD40 on it to get it out of the car a bit easier so it might have freed it. It did however feel a bit too loose and wobbly compared to the new one, it also felt sounded like the thing inside the old PCV valve might have been spinning when being shook kind of like what you hear when shaking a spray can.

I will put in fresh oil and take some fun drives this weekend and I will update if the oil loss is still bad and/or if the oil still gets a gassy scent. One thing I can already tell however is that the car started up INCREDIBLY well like never before, even though its been sat for a month or so. So if this doesn't solve my problem and I still need to rebuild it, at least this is one problem less to do later on!

For those who are looking to do this PCV job first time on an EJ207 being in the car, it was simple to do but it took me 3-4 hours due to the fossilized hoses and other components being super glued to the car by time itself, also the T Connection piece literally broke in half and got stuck on the ''lip'' of the crankcase connection point so that took a good 1hr+ to get off too. But if your hoses and other components related haven't sat there hardening and getting stuck for almost 20 years and 112K miles this job should take about 1-2 hours!

·
Premium Member
See about
6,139 Posts
All turbo Subies that are in decent shape deserve a full small hose replacement . . . .sometime after 100kmi . . .

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Glad to hear you're back to normal. Colder climates usually suffer clogs in the PCV sooner than later, but even the FSM states that PCV system hoses should be changed at 100K miles.

Always good to hear 'fixes' like this over a blown engine! Great news!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts