IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone recommend a turbo upgrade? I’ve spent some time doing my homework, but I’m still not sure what to get. Goal is 400-450hp. I’ve seen the Blouch’s, but there are a few variations. I don’t want to go with a rotated setup, and I don’t plan on running E85 (no one carries it where I live). I’ve had a few people recommend the GTX3071, but it’s a little pricey. Anyway, I’m just gonna copy and paste my setup from an old Craigslist add;

IAG stage 2 (tuff) short block
ARP head bolts
STI 12mm oil pump
Torque Solution pitch mount
Invidia catback exhaust
Tomei UEL(wrapped) header and up-pipe
Grimmspeed catted downpipe
Go Fast Bits hybrid BOV
KStech phenolic spacers
Cusco pulley kit
Kartboy short shifter and bushings
Cobb Accessport V3
Cosworth intake
ACT clutch
Process West Verticooler TMIC
Whiteline tie rods and ball joints
Godspeed lowering springs
Killer B high flow water pump housing
Perrin intake tube
1000cc injectors
AEM fuel pump
Killer B windage tray
Killer B pick up tube
STI oil pan
Defi boost gauge
AEM X-series wideband gauge
Steamspeed turbo blanket
GetADomTune coolant bypass mod
Autometer oil pressure gauge
Cobb boost solenoid
IAG AOS
SMY gauge pod
JCS custom a-pillar pod
Mirimoto LED headlight kit
Mirimoto LED fog lights
IAG TGV delete
Air pump delete
255/40R17 Nitto NT05 tires

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
For 400whp and above on pump 93 octane fuel......id probably say something along the lines of a GTX35

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Blouch, but sold it separately when I was trying to sell the car. As for my budget? I’d like to keep it under $1800

·
Premium Member
See about
6,272 Posts
Regardless of whether it can be done, I expected you would be doing yourself a disservice trying to break 400 on pump with your parts and budget. You have the support and for a (new) good turbo, and that's it 400--- should be easily doable though - with great response.

Reactions: Karlot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So you’re saying unless I go with E85 I shouldn’t bother shooting for 400? I can stretch my budget a little if it really makes a difference. I’ve sunk so much money into this car, and I consider selling it all the time (sucks it’s a lemon law salvage).

·
Registered
878 Posts
So you’re saying unless I go with E85 I shouldn’t bother shooting for 400? I can stretch my budget a little if it really makes a difference. I’ve sunk so much money into this car, and I consider selling it all the time (sucks it’s a lemon law salvage).
you can hit 400 without e85. although personally, i'd go with a bit smaller turbo and aim for 350-370 if you are staying stock location and pump gas. can you hit 400, yes, sure you can. but the car will have a more usable powerband and spool so much faster with a smaller stock location turbo on pump gas, which will make it alot more fun to drive. if you want to strech the budget and go rotated, that's a different story, then you can get a nice 3076r and comfortably make right around 400 or a 3576 and make a little more than 400 but not sacrifice spool because you'd have a much better flowing exhaust housing. with that budget if it were me, i'd get a blouch dom1.5xtr and call it a day. on pump gas it probably wont make 400 (maybe if youre on a dynapack). but on a dynojet i'd guess 370 ish. it'll spool alot faster than a stock location turbo that will net you 400-450 on pump gas and overall be alot more fun while still making good power.

for reference, my old roomate had an 05sti and i have an 06. at the time his was on a built motor with an fp red or fp black (cant remember which). his 05 made 428whp. mine was on a blouch 20g xtr, and i was only making 350whp at the time. we both drove eachothers cars and both of us agreed mine was so much more fun because it came on so much faster. even though his car was faster/more powerful.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
you can hit 400 without e85. although personally, i'd go with a bit smaller turbo and aim for 350-370 if you are staying stock location and pump gas. can you hit 400, yes, sure you can. but the car will have a more usable powerband and spool so much faster with a smaller stock location turbo on pump gas, which will make it alot more fun to drive. if you want to strech the budget and go rotated, that's a different story, then you can get a nice 3076r and comfortably make right around 400 or a 3576 and make a little more than 400 but not sacrifice spool because you'd have a much better flowing exhaust housing. with that budget if it were me, i'd get a blouch dom1.5xtr and call it a day. on pump gas it probably wont make 400 (maybe if youre on a dynapack). but on a dynojet i'd guess 370 ish. it'll spool alot faster than a stock location turbo that will net you 400-450 on pump gas and overall be alot more fun while still making good power.

for reference, my old roomate had an 05sti and i have an 06. at the time his was on a built motor with an fp red or fp black (cant remember which). his 05 made 428whp. mine was on a blouch 20g xtr, and i was only making 350whp at the time. we both drove eachothers cars and both of us agreed mine was so much more fun because it came on so much faster. even though his car was faster/more powerful.
OP listen to all this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
....mine was on a blouch 20g xtr, and i was only making 350whp at the time. we both drove eachothers cars and both of us agreed mine was so much more fun because it came on so much faster. even though his car was faster/more powerful.
Do you still have a dyno plot for this ? I am looking for a stock location turbo that can hit 300 lb-ft on pump gas before 3200 rpm and keep the TQ above 300 lb-ft all the way to redline.... WHP will come with that naturally so I am not worry about WHP numbers..... I want a fun car with excellent street drivability...

Currently considering a TD06SL2-18G but not sure it will meet my goal on spool up characteristic

·
Super Moderator
9,004 Posts
Here is a 20G XT-R on a FXT @ 20 PSI, E85... The dyno is pretty low reading (my car made 40whp less there, than some of the other dynos I use).

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

It moved out pretty well, mind you the car had 110k miles on it at this point. I think it has like 135k now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do you still have a dyno plot for this ? I am looking for a stock location turbo that can hit 300 lb-ft on pump gas before 3200 rpm and keep the TQ above 300 lb-ft all the way to redline.... WHP will come with that naturally so I am not worry about WHP numbers..... I want a fun car with excellent street drivability...

Currently considering a TD06SL2-18G but not sure it will meet my goal on spool up characteristic
lookup my build thread on here, it's in there i think.

link to make it easier to find:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts