IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these turbos spool up faster and has better performance? The FP Green or the APS SR56 ball bearing?

Let me know,
Monarch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
I know the greeen spooled faster than the SR55, but i dunno how the SR56 is, i haven't seen any charts from them yet, but i have heard that it is an improvement.. I still think the Green will spool faster, but the SR56 might make a bit more peak HP..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
Call Doug at Topspeed - IIRC, he's tuned the SR56, and I know he's tuned a ton of Greens. And if not, search over on NASIOC for a tuner that is familiar with the SR56.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Why not the sz49 or sz55 i think the sz49 is a little better then green
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
SZ49 = Green, except now you can purchase a Green with an 8cm^2 exhaust housing now.

Personally I would take an 8cm^2 Green over an APS SR55/56 anyday, they just seem overpriced to me and never seem to live up to their hype.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
No SZ49 doesn't = Green if the SZ49 has the fatboy wheel. I had a Green for about three months, and I hated it. The car felt flat. I don't know, maybe it was the tune or something, but I switch to a SZ55 and I love it. My SZ55 with the fatboy wheel will out spool my old Green setup all day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
The fatboy wheel is nothing but a gimmick that Deadbolt uses to sell their turbos. When it all comes down to it the Green, SZ49, GT49, and Blouch Dominator I, all put down the same amount of power with the right supporting mods and tune.

Unless you can provide me with some charts that show the almighty Fatboy wheel outspooling the Green and producing more power, I fail to see its advantage.

BTW the reason I say the Fatboy wheel is nothing but a gimmick, is because its nothing more than a T31 turbine (80s technology).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
05_STi said:
The fatboy wheel is nothing but a gimmick that Deadbolt uses to sell their turbos. When it all comes down to it the Green, SZ49, GT49, and Blouch Dominator I, all put down the same amount of power with the right supporting mods and tune.

Unless you can provide me with some charts that show the almighty Fatboy wheel outspooling the Green and producing more power, I fail to see its advantage.

BTW the reason I say the Fatboy wheel is nothing but a gimmick, is because its nothing more than a clipped T31 turbine (80s technology).

If it's such an old technology, then explain why Deadbolt is the only company offering it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I said 80's technology meaning its nothing revolutionary. As for the reason behind Deadbolt's decision to use the "Fatboy" wheel, a marketing ploy to give them an advantage over FP. If you remember FP released the Green first. If you're second or third out of the box, you got to provide customers with a justification with for chosing your product over the original. Nothing but marketing 101.

In the end for all the hype behind the Fatboy wheel, no one has been able to conclusively prove that an SZ49 outperforms a Green with the same supporting mods and tune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
Here are some graphs of the SZ55 with the "gimmick" fatboy wheel, and if it is such a gimmick, then why would it be patented by Deadbolt, and if they wanted to out do FP, they would already have that in the bag by offer the lifetime warranty. I've had an FP green and I can honestly tell you that my SZ55 (a bigger turbo) will out spool it all day. I wouldn't go back to a green even if you offered to install it, tune it, and give me cash on top of that.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41477&highlight=SZ55+dyno
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
ninjaboy76 said:
Here are some graphs of the SZ55 with the "gimmick" fatboy wheel, and if it is such a gimmick, then why would it be patented by Deadbolt, and if they wanted to out do FP, they would already have that in the bag by offer the lifetime warranty. I've had an FP green and I can honestly tell you that my SZ55 (a bigger turbo) will out spool it all day. I wouldn't go back to a green even if you offered to install it, tune it, and give me cash on top of that.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41477&highlight=SZ55+dyno

Ninja, were your mods with the Green similar to that of the SZ55? I have always been a Deadbolt supporter, and hopefully future customer, but this would help the FP demons telling me to saving money on the FP Green over that of the SZ49 + fatboy wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,966 Posts
ninjaboy76 said:
Here are some graphs of the SZ55 with the "gimmick" fatboy wheel, and if it is such a gimmick, then why would it be patented by Deadbolt, and if they wanted to out do FP, they would already have that in the bag by offer the lifetime warranty. I've had an FP green and I can honestly tell you that my SZ55 (a bigger turbo) will out spool it all day. I wouldn't go back to a green even if you offered to install it, tune it, and give me cash on top of that.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41477&highlight=SZ55+dyno
does page 7 work on that thread?, I still want to see waht 4th gear data logging looks like. I have a regular SZ49 w/ 2.4" outlet, thinking about upgrading if the SZ55FB can outspool AND outpower my current turbo.

Do you have dynos of your green and SZ55? I'm just curious, and did you get a 3" for your SZ55? I assume this is NOT the 8cm housing... wonder if they can custome build one, I'm throwing my ideas around so let me know what you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
My SZ55 is the 2.4 inch. My green was not the 8cm hotside. I don't have the dyno charts anymore. How much boost are you running with your SZ49? You could probably trade in your 49 plus some additional $ for the 55.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
The reason for my calling the "patented" Fatboy turbine a gimmick is because is most cases spool up and power produced are identical.

Case and point:

SZ49
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Images/gallery/Ryan/dyno.jpg

Now the Green:
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Images/gallery/Levy/dyno.jpg

Notice they both produce about the same amount of power and spool nearly the same, yet an SZ49 costs about $1700, whereas now you can get an 3" Green with an 8cm^2 exhaust housing can be had for about $200 less. As for the "lifetime warrantly" notice how it coveniently leaves out the parts that will more than likely need to replaced:

-Wastegate flapper
-Compressor wheel
-Compressor housing
-Turbine wheel and shaft
-Turbine housing
-Compressor wheel retaining nut
-V-Band clamp
-Snap ring
-Wastegate actuator
-Coatings

So where's the advantage that I'm failing to see? In the end its all a matter of personal preference and what you think is justified in terms of price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
Are you comparing a 3" Green to a 2.4" SZ49? SZ49's have the option for 3" first of all, and is that SZ49 with the fatboy wheel. You need to make sure the comparions are valid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Are you comparing a 3" Green to a 2.4" SZ49? SZ49's have the option for 3" first of all, and is that SZ49 with the fatboy wheel. You need to make sure the comparions are valid.
I am fully aware that both offer a 3" inlet and no I am not comparing 3" Green with a 2.4" SZ49, if you look at the charts I posted both turbos have 2.4" inlets and 7cm^2 exhaust housings. The only reason I mentioned a 3" Green with the upgraded exhaust housing was to highlight difference in price between the two. So is my comparison still invalid?

Personally I could care less what turbo you or anyone else for that matter chooses to purchase, I don't have anything vested in either company, my sole purpose was to trying and provide the original poster with some options that's all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
05_STi said:
The reason for my calling the "patented" Fatboy turbine a gimmick is because is most cases spool up and power produced are identical.

Case and point:

SZ49
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Images/gallery/Ryan/dyno.jpg

Now the Green:
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Images/gallery/Levy/dyno.jpg

Notice they both produce about the same amount of power and spool nearly the same, yet an SZ49 costs about $1700, whereas now you can get an 3" Green with an 8cm^2 exhaust housing can be had for about $200 less. As for the "lifetime warrantly" notice how it coveniently leaves out the parts that will more than likely need to replaced:

-Wastegate flapper
-Compressor wheel
-Compressor housing
-Turbine wheel and shaft
-Turbine housing
-Compressor wheel retaining nut
-V-Band clamp
-Snap ring
-Wastegate actuator
-Coatings

So where's the advantage that I'm failing to see? In the end its all a matter of personal preference and what you think is justified in terms of price.
Yes those things might need to be replaced, and when they do all I have to do is ship my turbo to deadbolt and not have to worry about a headache. I've already seen a few Garrett 30Rs crapping out on people. That right there is >$1000 just for replacement. I to am here to offer options and opinions and I too could careless which turbo they choose, but I can at least chime in about my personnal experience having now owned both turbos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
It's well known that ball-bearing turbos are more prone to failure than thrust bearing turbos, not exactly earth shattering news. Once again you failed to see the point I was trying to make, the warrantly only covers parts that are not not going to fail anytime soon, while conveniently leaving out parts that will. Paying for something that I'm never going to need doesn't make any sense.

I like Deadbolt's turbos they are proven performers, I just don't see the reasoning behind their added costs, that's all.

I'm glad that your setup is working out for you.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top