IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this past saturday me and 2 buddies of mine (one who is a subaru tech in raleigh) were working on putting the gt30r kit on my car and everything was going fine. we mounted the turbo, uppipe, downpipe, and wastegate (which was a pain in the arse) then we had to bend the oem oil feed line that goes from the back of the head to the turbo...well its only about 2" long and if bent too far ....it will break....very very easily. so off the intake manifold came along with the TGV's and the coolant crossover so we could get this line off. my buddy is getting one overnighted so it will be here tuesday... so now shes sitting in my extra bay at work looking pitiful ...so the moral of this story is

IF YOU HAVE TO BEND OIL LINES TO PUT A TURBO ON.....be careful....

ill post pics of the install asap.
-corey

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my car over the winter when the 35r went on. Fortunately it was relatively inexpensive ~$50 and I got it the next day. I also used this as a good time to replace the screen filters and bolts that hold down the line. There is a Subaru TSB on this and I figured why not. I also noticed that the original line was a lot harder to bend than the replacement. I think the heat from the stock turbo makes it more brittle.

John

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Anyone upgrading to a larger turbo should just get the braided oil line from the get go. It's relatively inexpensive & makes life soooo much easier. My stock line started to leak not long after the install & it was a major PITA after the fact.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
something also to consider that I have yet to see discussed in any posting here. If you are upgrading your turbo and running 20+ lbs of boost. I would seriously think about upgrading your power steerling line as well. We changed mine out to a 350 Psi line that not only looks good but will hold the increased boost from the new setup. The stock line is not rated for the higher boost we are using and is a fire waiting to happen!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why would the boost the turbo makes affect the power steering line pressure?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i went to a local parts store and they told me that a stainless line (with 2 banjo fittings and the turbo fitting...all the way from the avcs to the turbo would be a little over $300!!!!!!!!!!!!) so anyway im getting one from subaru along with somekind of hondata??? tgv gaskets ... my buddy has them on his ej257 swapped forester and he has seen the intake temp graphs and they do work on lowering intake temps so he says so i figure ill give them a try.....anyhow im kind of wondering how the turbo boost affects powersteering pressure???? i mean i did wrap them with pyrosheild along with all the wires and stuff....anyway i think that the heat from the oem turbo does make the line brittle...the powersteering pressure hose is made of almost the same thing and it bends super easy....anyway my parts will be here soon and maybe i wont break anything else....

-corey

·
Registered
508 Posts
The power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt connected to the crank shaft. It has NOTHING to do with boost pressure, only your rpms. Boost all you want... the pressure coming out of your PS pump won't change one iota.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gesundlich said:
The power steering pump is driven by the serpentine belt connected to the crank shaft. It has NOTHING to do with boost pressure, only your rpms. Boost all you want... the pressure coming out of your PS pump won't change one iota.
you know i knew that...well i thought i did...after 4 years working for chrysler, dodge, jeep and 3 ASE tests passed i thought i knew alot about cars...but somedays i just think im dumb and i should throw all reality out of the window cuz it doesnt mean squat...so i just thought i would check....

-corey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts