IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is hoping y'all could ease my mind, I have an Fp Blue turbo with 58mm stock housing, (about 10 months old) on a 2016 wrx sti, I noticed a smell of burnt oil and when I diagnosed the issue I noticed the vaccuum hose that goes from electronic boost control solenoid to compressor hosing was busted (torn), before noticing this I had just done an oil change and when I noticed this issue I noticed oil was half qrt low, Is that much oil leak from that hose in just 4 days, should that much oil be seen at the compressor housing? I havent checked the charge pipes to see how much oil is in there. I also have a catch can that I noticed filled up quick in those 4 days (about 100 miles before I noticed I was loosing oil and that the hose was bad. Was just wondering what I could diagnose on the turbo itself to see if its damaged. I'm protuned for flex fuel and normally reach 23.8 to 24.2psi but currently only hitting 21.5psi. No smoke out the exhaust while driving and have not done a boost leak test. I've been staying off boost until I find the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Your loosing a lot of oil. Sounds bad. Not going to go into it except that it mat or may not be a turbo issue.

Good on staying out of boost - cept how do you know what "it is hitting" then.

Get assistance.
The hose from you EBC unit is not an oil line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your loosing a lot of oil. Sounds bad. Not going to go into it except that it mat or may not be a turbo issue.

Get assistance.
[/QUOTE
I believe the oil was coming from the nipple on the compressor housing, but I don't know if that normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only went wot once, with these issue, I took off the inlet tube to check for shaft play and there was none, also removed the downpipe and looked like no oil there so turbo seals look fine, the oil was coming out of the nipple on the compressor housing, after speaking to forced performance they believe I have a lot of blowby, I'm going to set up a second catch can as per what they recommend and go from there, what are everyone's thoughts on breathable catchcans. Also found a tear in my stock turbo inlet and replaced it with a tomei.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
AOS - especially if you have a lot of blowby for any reason whether its driving hard, high boost or a loose/aged build. It is convenient as it cut oil usage and will greatly help prevent you from running with low oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18 months ago I installed a grimspeed AOS but I live in Colorado (should have done more research) due to cold wether I was getting milky oil building up and going back to my oil pan so I uninstalled it immediately and went to a catch can. I'd like to get the iag heated competition AOS but it's very expensive. (if I would have done more research about using grim speed AOS in cold weather I would have used that $300 for the iag AOS) lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Get assistance.
I agree with this. Unfortunately it sounds like it could be bad. Drop it off at a mechanic have him take a look at it. I suggest a compression and leak down test 😢.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts