IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into one of these as they will provide faster spool up, much cooler underhood temps, etc... but I was wondering... can you "bake" your turbo or overheat it with something like that? I was thinking of useing the DEI or COOLTEC kits, or just the use the insulation I have, but I was wondering how safe this was and if it would be damaging in the long run to the turbo? Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
staticx313 said:
I was looking into one of these as they will provide faster spool up, much cooler underhood temps, etc... but I was wondering... can you "bake" your turbo or overheat it with something like that? I was thinking of useing the DEI or COOLTEC kits, or just the use the insulation I have, but I was wondering how safe this was and if it would be damaging in the long run to the turbo? Thanks!

Robert~
Got a link Robert? The only thing I've really seen is that some people ceramic coat the exhaust side of the turbo.

-st

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used the DEI kit to wrap my T88 on my Supra. It did a very nice job of keeping the underhood temps down. I don't remember if it increased spool up. I only put about 3k miles on the car after wrapping the turbo, so I can't speak on longevity.
Scott

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MY DAD CRASHED MY STI!!!!!!!!!

I orderd 100' of downpipe/header wrap. 1/8" thick x 2 " wide x 100' long. So if anyone needs any I can spare some for a couple bucks or whatever, I'd do it for cheap and mainly to cover shipping.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Yes... in matter of fact coating obviously isnt removable and the wrap is help on by clamps/ss wire ties. So you could remove them whenever you want. For the headers I'd say coat and wrap for the best heat retention... as you need as much velocity as possible. I will probably buy the pre jethot coated headers and then just wrap them with the extra wrap i have left over. More heat = more velocity :).

Robert~

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hey Robert, I would be interested in some extra wrap. PM me with details. Thanks.

I have heard arguments both ways on insulating the turbo itself. I say do it and see if you like it. It should certianly help with IC heat soak.

·
Registered
131 Posts
StI side pictures

Make sure that no water is able to get to the wrap. If it gets wet it will rot and degrade the metal beneath it. This is the reason I didn't wrap my ex. mani. or dp on my Supra....I had the VS hood w/ vents right above the turbo/dp and knew water would get down in there.
Scott

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pmed you xman. Well I wont be doing the turbo I suppose, for now. But I doubt water will hurt the stainless steel. Besides, whats supposed to happen when it rains? They said the wrap was made of out fiberglass.. I wouldnt think it would rot... either way im goin to spray it down with the black 2000degree coolITstuff I have.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stiperformance said:
I wrapped my entire downpipe and its been driven in the rain, no problems with it coming off or anything. Just make sure you have plenty of radiator clamps holding it on. I used 4 on mine.

If you think about it, the exhaust is pretty hot and any water that got on the wrap would evaporate very quickly.
Ya thats what I was thinking... i mean its made for 2000 degree surface (the wrap) (and how could water survive on a turbo being it so hot?), so its gotta get a tad hot for water lol ;).

Robert~

·
Registered
167 Posts
staticx313 said:

Robert~
From what I understand (have read) you only wrap the exhaust side of the turbo to keep the heat insulated, faster spool (maybe its just "measurable" but not any faster really, since I have never seen any true data on this, just hearsay). Like you said hot gas moves faster than cold. Considering the exhaust side of my turbo on my TD06 MR2 used to glow bright red and my roommates TO4R on his Supra does the same I dont belive that you'll bake the turbo or damage it by using these wraps, same for downpipes etc I'm sure all those parts can sustain much higher temps. I thought the reason they werent used more was due to the cost of them and not any real negatives that I was aware of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts