IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't sport a turbo timer yet, so does anyone know how much time is enough when ideling after a spirited run? And how long after a normal drive? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This the best I could find:
"General rule of thumb should be 1 minute for every hour that your are driving the car for cool-down period. "

·
Registered
347 Posts
Spoiler

why would your car be any hotter after driving 3 hours than 2? HOW you drove the car in the last 10 minutes or so before you park it will have much more to do w/ that. and ambient temp. if you're at a track day, a cool off lap is good, then let the car idle for a couple of minutes. at track days, i usually open the hood, too. as for normal driving, take it easy for the last 5-10 minutes before you park it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
D.D. said:
I don't sport a turbo timer yet, so does anyone know how much time is enough when ideling after a spirited run? And how long after a normal drive? Thanks guys.
You'd be best off to buy an alarm, that has a turbo time built in.

1) The alarm and timer will work in harmony.

2) You get a much needed security upgrade, and you can enjoy the extra benefit of a turbo time, at your discretion.

3) Bunch of other neat feature, like violation pager, remote start etc...

I bought the compustar 2wss-as. By way of the remote, or by how I exit the vehicle, I can choose to use or not use the turbo timer each time I get out.

There is talk about how it might not be needed w/ today's sophisticated turbos, except under hard driving conditions. We'll drive my STI hard almost everytime I drive it. How can you not?

I'd rather be safe (than sorry) when it comes to the preventative maintenence of expensive parts. Run the timer and be safe!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I scoured the owners manual on the STi looking for any little tidbit on this, and all it says is to shut the car off at idle. You'd think if this was an issue, they would have put something in there.

I mean, they tell you not to rest your hand on the shifter, why wouldn't they tell you this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
DrEvyl said:
why wouldn't they tell you this?
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but..
Maybe they don't want you to avoid long term (post-warantee) wear; thus, once the warantee is over, you are certain to be in to replace worn parts at their service centers.???? :-?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If that was the case I don't think they would say anything about resting your hand on the gearshift...

That's certainly not going to cause any problems in the short-term.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with FIA-WRC, a turbo timer is not really needed. If I'm not mistaken, the turbo on the STI is water cooled. Once you shut off your engine and your turbo is still hot, it will vaporize any coolant still in it, increase the pressure in the cooling system, and force liquid coolant from the right cylinder head into the turbocharger. Here's a quotation found on www.nasioc.com, from FHI:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE:FHI's posistion regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual.The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

Still, it's not a bad idea to cool down your engine before you shut if off, just so oil won't coke anywhere else in the engine. My $0.02.

JDiesel

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
norcal-sti said:
why would your car be any hotter after driving 3 hours than 2? HOW you drove the car in the last 10 minutes or so before you park it will have much more to do w/ that. and ambient temp. if you're at a track day, a cool off lap is good, then let the car idle for a couple of minutes. at track days, i usually open the hood, too. as for normal driving, take it easy for the last 5-10 minutes before you park it.
Good Advice.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Stikya said:
There is talk about how it might not be needed w/ today's sophisticated turbos, except under hard driving conditions. We'll drive my STI hard almost everytime I drive it. How can you not?

I'd rather be safe (than sorry) when it comes to the preventative maintenence of expensive parts. Run the timer and be safe!
It certainly doesn't hurt. But for me it doesn't make sense. I drive 27 miles to work everyday and I get to open it up a ton on the way to work - in the city, highway, even some decent turns. By the time I get to work I let it cool down at 3000RPM in 4th coasting on a back road that always has consistent traffic. I have a similar drive on the way home. You will never cool a car like this as well sitting still. Airflow is essential.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Stikya said:
DrEvyl said:
why wouldn't they tell you this?
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but..
Maybe they don't want you to avoid long term (post-warantee) wear; thus, once the warantee is over, you are certain to be in to replace worn parts at their service centers.???? :-?
No way that is a strategy man. Not to insult you or anything, but when you look at that in terms of the company in 10 years, they simple won't be around. While I was waiting in this dealership, an older couple were talking about how this was there 4th straight Subaru and not one of them had ever been in for unscheduled maintenance. That is DAMN impressive even for an ordinary car.

-st

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just wondering, will a turbo timer be NEEDED if you get a new turbo? I.E. one offered by APS or some other aftermarket company? Seems like they wouldn't have the water cooled property built in. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the "funny smell" that several STi owners(meself included), after turning the car off, are experiencing is the vaporized coolant as the result of turbo cool-down. I'm pretty familiar with the burned clutch and hot brake smell, this is different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts