IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sti is my first turbo car and a buddy of mine said to let it idle for a minute after driving to let the turbo cool down. He has a turbo saab and someone told him to do it so his turbo would last longer. He has 185k miles on his with supposedly no problems. I was just wondering if this was true.

thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes, very true. Oil runs through the turbo for lubrication and cooling. If you run the car hard and immediately shut it down hot oil can bake in the turbo which is bad. Turbo's get extremely hot under boost, by letting the car idle for a minute or so the turbo can cool and hopefully no oil will bake.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not realize that the engine oil had anything to do with the turbo? I would think the high temps of the turbo and exhaust would fry the oil anyway. Does the sti turbo have "ball bearings" as some versions claim?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Not necessarily true these days. While oil still runs through the turbo, that isn't the primary means of cooling as it was with the first turbos that people remember having so many problems with. With a coolant line running through the turbo and a system designed to continue to flow the coolant after the car is shut down, you don't need to worry about cooling the turbo under normal driving conditions. If this was the case, SOA would have something in the manual about it.

However.....

If you are out racing your car, track day or otherwise, and you've really been into the boost, then you should let the car idle down for a minute or two before killing the engine. But, outside of that situation, you don't have to worry about it.

This is the reason why turbo timers are a waste of money these days.

·
Registered
804 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
With a coolant line running through the turbo and a system designed to continue to flow the coolant after the car is shut down, you don't need to worry about cooling the turbo under normal driving conditions.
Hmmm, how exactly does the coolant run through the turbo when the engine is shut off? Isn't the water pump moving all the coolant?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the turbo a little closer last night and it does have tubes coming from the little radiator tank on the upper left by the intake and another one going down to the block. Cool huh.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Scuba_Steve said:
CloNeGTS said:
With a coolant line running through the turbo and a system designed to continue to flow the coolant after the car is shut down, you don't need to worry about cooling the turbo under normal driving conditions.
Hmmm, how exactly does the coolant run through the turbo when the engine is shut off? Isn't the water pump moving all the coolant?
Here is your specific answer but do read all of the pages here. This site is one of the best informational about Subies.

http://www.spdusa.com/turbo_timer.htm

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah, I asked at the R&D and they said that it would be advised to idle the car for 30 seconds to a minute.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The reservior for the coolant is purposefully higher than the turbo. When the car is stopped and the coolant begins to decrease in volume (from cooling), the coolant continues to trickle down through the turbo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
so why are people still selling these useless turbo timers?

seems like a waste of 100$ if all u have to do is idle ur car for about a minute -.-V

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
bi11y said:
so why are people still selling these useless turbo timers?

seems like a waste of 100$ if all u have to do is idle ur car for about a minute -.-V
ppl will sell anything to make money! :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's exactly right!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Uh, because there are people who still have cars with only oil-cooled turbos. Like me! 8)

Having a Turbo Timer in my 98, I can tell you they come in pretty handy. I can start the car in the morning to warm it up, get out with the key, lock the car, and go inside to grab something that I forgot. Stuff like that.

My STi doesn't have a timer, but I've had situations where I've thought it'd be nice to have one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts