IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Type of oil from the factory?

"At idle, your turbo is turning thousands of RPMs per minute; after running your vehicle, even for just a few minutes, you want to let the motor and turbo “idle down” with cool oil circulating through it; failure to do this causes the turbo to remain spinning (after the vehicle is switched off), with no oil supply circulating through it, causing “coking up” of hot oil on the turbo parts, leading to turbo failure. Oil line(s) feeding the turbo will also coke up, much like stopped up arteries of the heart. This is why, after we rebuild your turbo, we ask that you replace oil line(s) that feed the turbo. "- http://www.majesticturbo.com/glossary.html

Will we have to build in some cool down time before shutting off the car? Would a pre-oiler for the engine solve this problem, however install it opposite so that it runs post engine shut off?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first thing you want to do is get a good oil temperature gauge. Under most normal driving, the car will not need a "cooldown lap". However, by watching the gauge you'll know what's normal operating temp, and if you go above that, you can take it easy for a few minute before shutdown to prevent coking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A turbo-timer is also a option, it leaves the car running (usually 2 minutes or so) after turning off the car. I assume a aftermarket company will be offering them for the STi.

Jeff

·
Registered
67 Posts
Add a turbo timer. HKS or Greddy and others make them for about $100.00. It allows you to let your car run after you turn off your car and remove the key. You can set how long it runs for. Then it shuts off the car. A definate must with any turbo car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
2003STI said:
Add a turbo timer. HKS or Greddy and others make them for about $100.00. It allows you to let your car run after you turn off your car and remove the key. You can set how long it runs for. Then it shuts off the car. A definate must with any turbo car!
beat you by a minute :D

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Take a look here: www.spdusa.com

The notion of not needing a turbo timer is mentioned and why. Apparently the newer designed turbo-charged engines are more efficient at cooling and turbo timers are generally gimcky and just another $100 spent. Fairly normal driving no large cool down is necessary. During spirited driving and/or lap driving just sit with the car on for a minute or two.

Conversely, always warm up your engine, but especially so before getting on the boost hard.

Doing these two will save you at least $100 in a tt, and keep your car uncluttered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fun & games: so what's your personalized plate gonna say

91TB78 said:
Take a look here: www.spdusa.com

The notion of not needing a turbo timer is mentioned and why. Apparently the newer designed turbo-charged engines are more efficient at cooling and turbo timers are generally gimcky and just another $100 spent. Fairly normal driving no large cool down is necessary. During spirited driving and/or lap driving just sit with the car on for a minute or two.

Conversely, always warm up your engine, but especially so before getting on the boost hard.

Doing these two will save you at least $100 in a tt, and keep your car uncluttered.
I will start off by saying I do not have a turbo timer for my turbo car. But a turbo timer would be nice, it is a pain in the butt when I drive my car hard to work then got to wait 1-2 minutes for the turbo to cool. I guess I am just impatient american :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the looks of the Greddy turbo timer the most (vs. Apexi and HKS), but I haven't seen a Greddy harness kit for the WRX. Anyone know if it exists? If not, do you just hard wire them?
I think turbo timers are a smart / cheap investment. I have a bad habit of driving hard then just shutting down as soon as I park. From what I understand, the turbo timers override the ignition switch and keep the car running. Is this correct?
(Obviously this is my first turbo-charged car)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hummer
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:38 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synthetic oil would also help prevent coking.

Subaru says that you don't need a tt because of the design.
I know! The dealer told me the same thing. Instead of an immediate shutoff, just wait for 10 to 20 seconds if you don't drive hard. if u drive hard, just sit for a min or two.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Our turbos are also cooled by the coolant, so a cool down is not needed like it was back in the day. I would still let it run a bit after a hard run but it is not as big an issue as it was on older turbocharged cars that only relied on the oil for cooling.

·
Registered
133 Posts
VENDORS WISHING TO POST IN THIS FORUM, PLEASE READ

I have a Blitz turbo timer installed on my STI. It works great. If anyone is really considering it, i would totally recommend the blitz. because unlike other turbo timers, this one actually calculates how harsh and long you been driving, and then when you turn off your car, it will idle for the best time. Or you can even set manually how seconds/minutes you want it to idle. Great investment, and a MUST for turbo cars. I have had many turbo cars in my life, and turbo timer is one of the very first aftermarket upgrades that i do.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
2003STI said:
Ya thats an easy fix too. Anyone know of a plug in harness for the Blitz or Greddy or Hks ... turbo timers for the STi? Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Amsoil Synthetics - TurboXS Performance - Race Fuel

For my 2 cents worth, I buy the logic of using synthetic (doesn't burn at higher temps) and the improved turbo cooling design to prevent any overheating problems. My buddy had an aftermarket turbo in his Dodge Omni, definitely could have used a timer (he used the 'finish the song' technique'). If I drive it hard, I try to coast home to get more cool down time, and maybe let it idle for 30 seconds MAX after spirited street driving. A timer adds uneeded cost and complexity. I'd rather put the $$$ into brakes, tires, 93 octane.... :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I agree. I had a turbo timer on my old Supra and put one in my current Supra but don't think I will waste the money on one for my STi. Both my Supras and even my old Chrysler Conquest TSI had warning stickers and mentioned it in the owner's manual about letting it idle to cool down a bit after hard drives. The STi has no such sticker or even a mention of a cool down in the owner's manual. I let it idle a bit after every drive but once I switch to synthetic will probably only do it after hard drives.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Valvetrainengineer, i agree with you. But i also look at it as, if your going to spend 30k for a ride, spending a extra 100 bucks isnt a big deal. So my 2 cents is, im waisting this much money on a car, then im doing both. there is nothing better then having a turbo timer, AND synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's just it....there's no reason to have a turbo timer. Not needed.....why buy stuff you don't need?

I have a chrome plated cup holder for sale....interested?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You do know that each piece of chrome you add increases horsepower to the wheels by 5. :lol:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I got this reply from SOA:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding cooling down the turbo engine in the WRX STi. Our position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a 'cool down/idling' procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current turbo engine has far greater cooling capacity and coupled with technological advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about a cool down is not included in the Owner's Manual.

To further explain, the heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant in the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. The hot vapor will enter the coolant reservoir tank, which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time that the vapor exits that turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows in to the charger. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down.

I think this explains it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts