IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to installing tunes into my 2004 STi. Alpine CDA7894 tuner, MTX Thunder304 amp, MTX Thunder 500D sub amp, Infinity Kappa 6.5" seprates up front, MB Quart 5.25" rears, and an Infinity 10" Perfect sub. Also did the bulb color change on the rest of the dash. Looks and sounds awesome. Completely gutted the inside of the car. Both front seats, rear seat, all plastic trim, console, etc. Deck was a piece of cake. Ran a 4ga power wire inside to a distribution block. Amps are mounted under each of the front seats. The 6.5" kappa's fit perfect using a 1/2" spacer. I originally wanted to use 5.25 kappa's in the rear doors as well but the tweeters stick out too far. The tweeters hit the inside of the door panel. Off to the stereo store to find a 5.25" coax with a flush mount tweeter. The MB Quart fit the bill perfectly. Sub is in the trunk and fits great undter the rear strut bar. The sound is incredible. Also installed lots of sound deadener in all four doors (Brown-Bread). Big project but glad I did the work myself (with help from a friend) rather than have it installed. I learned a lot about my car doing the hands on myself.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Sounds good but is under the seats a good location for an amp since we have heating ducts there that would blow hot air onto the amps? Since amps generate heat and can overheat I did not think under the seat would be a good location.

·
Registered
575 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
Sounds good but is under the seats a good location for an amp since we have heating ducts there that would blow hot air onto the amps? Since amps generate heat and can overheat I did not think under the seat would be a good location.
XM Tuner and other non Amplification things are about the only things you want to put under the seats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good but is under the seats a good location for an amp since we have heating ducts there that would blow hot air onto the amps? Since amps generate heat and can overheat I did not think under the seat would be a good location
I originally had the same concerns. I spoke with a local Rep from MTX. He checked out the mounting area in my car gave it the thumbs up. He said that there is enough space that they will not over heat. The air moving over them will only help in the cooling. Even if the air is heated it will still aid in the cooling of the amps. Summer when it's hot the a/c will really aid in the cooling. According to the rep hot air is much better than no air. The air coming from the vents may feel hot but it will be lower in temp than the inside of the amp. Bottom line MTX says it's a fantastic location. I took their word and that's why I installed them there. I am completely audio ignorant so I relied on professional advise on where/how to mount everything.

Side note: Subaru's carpet is the absolute worst I have ever seen in a car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts