IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having a problem with the inside trunk release?

I havent taken it back to the dealer for a check yet, but 75% of the time the release latch doesnt work and I have to use the key.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My trunk release has worked 0% of the time since I bought my Sti (lol)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealer fixed it so that the key turns like in butter and the inside latch now works 100% of the time. (Bianco Subaru, Corte Madera, CA).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Silver with silver in East Brunswick

Just need to loosen the bolts from inside the trunk. Raise the catch plate a little and test it. Make sure it's high enough so that it isn't too tight, but make sure the trunk lid isn't too loose, or it will rattle.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
holy crap this is annoying... everytime someone asks "how big is the trunk" Im actually excited to show em (roadsters and hatchbacks dont have but like 3 cuft lol). Then I remember... o ya the thing wont open 100:101 times. I gotta get it fixed, thanks for the link!

Robert~

also is there a way to test it for rattles without driving? So you dont have to adjust... drive... adjust ... drive... and so forth? Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I left it alone and now it works alot better. I guess the cable streached a bit and its working fine now. It depends if you can live with it for about a month. It will fix itself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: Should I get it?

I was having trouble with my trunk release as well. The dealership loosened it up for me when I took the car in for its first oil change and it always works now.

If you're having trouble opening the trunk with the key, a little down pressure on the trunk lid helps....

Sue :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya its really easy to fix this (as I just did in 5 minutes). Grab a 12mm socket, undo the 2 12mm bolts slightly, slide the plate up a little, tighten, then to test if its done correctly, push on the trunk and if it has any "play room" and you can feel movement, move the plate down some til it sticks firmly. Thank goodness for this... I Was goin to go crazy not being able to open my trunk.

Robert~

·
Registered
536 Posts
I too suffer from the trunk release problem. I've had my STI for about 2 weeks now. Don't fret though it's not a big deal, I use to have a WRX and it had the same problem. Actually a body shop fixed it for free while I was having badges taken off, so I plan to take my STi to the same place to correct the problem. Take it to a body shop or your local dealer to fix it:) It's just another little Subaru kink, like the drivers side window squeaking, etc..

Drive Safe :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It's an adjustment boys and girls. Just like you need an alignment once in a while.

Temperatures affect materials. When hot, a cable like this will elongate more than if it was cold.

If the trunk lid rattled because it was too loose...people would complain too! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts