IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to align the trunk on our cars? Mine has a larger gap on the passenger side then it does on the drivers side. I tried loosening the bolts and having someone push the lid toward the side with the gap, then tightening the bolts, but no luck. Is there something else I can try? It's a OEM trunk so it shouldn't have any fitment issues like a carbon fiber trunk might. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Its all in the latch. Loosen the top latch and adjust it left/right/up/down according to the gap to see if what gives you best results. After that if it is still gapped wrong like my OEM wingless was then its time to move on to the bottom latch, move it the same way as the top and that should fix it all up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
is this front bonnet? if it is.. there are two rubber spacer just above the headlights.. u can screw bith spacers to ideal heights.. not to high.. the bonnet might not close.. please ignore if u mean the rear one.. just trying to help..

cheers

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crystal_Imprezav said:
Its all in the latch. Loosen the top latch and adjust it left/right/up/down according to the gap to see if what gives you best results. After that if it is still gapped wrong like my OEM wingless was then its time to move on to the bottom latch, move it the same way as the top and that should fix it all up.
Thanks, but what do you mean by upper and lower latch? Isn't there just one latch...the one with two bolts?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I've got two trunks I swap back + forth and I have always been able to adjust the gap by loosening/shoving/tweaking the four bolts. Not sure what else you would do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My trunk has chipped the paint off down to the primer on the drivers side of the car right on the edge of the fender. I cant get the dealer to warrenty it, they say the trunk is within factory specs, thats BS. I would also like to find out how to adjust the trunk myself.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gohrsepwr said:
can you adjust the striker part that it locks to?
I just tried that. There seems to be only up and down movement, no horizontal movement. I tried it all the way up, no difference...all the way down, no difference.
I'm stumped. :confused:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EDIT: I see what you mean now by upper and lower latches...I tried adjusting both of them but still no luck. There only seems to be vertical adjustment on the latches as well, no horizontal movement.
I really don't want to start drilling but it will drive me nuts if this doesn't get aligned correctly.

·
Authorized Vendor
2,885 Posts
Mine is off as well, figured I'd address the many other issues I had before I got to that though :)

If I find a way, I'll chime back in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
loosen latch [ the part on the trunk] so you can jiggle it around. since you want to close the gap on the pass side, push the latch to the drivers side to get all the play you can out of it. retighten.. close the trunk slowly to check to make sure you didnt go to far and chip the paint..

just did mine and had the same prob. fixed it this way.. but there isnt much ajustment..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Guys, I'll bump this old thread, seems to be the issue I have.
I test fitted my new wingless trunk, but need to shift it a little to the left to get better alignment.

It only needs a couple of mm, but I've tried fiddling with the trunk latch, no cigar.
Question: Before I start taking out the rear seat and shelf, how much adjustment, if any, is available by loosening the trunk hinges? Anyone know?

Second question regarding the catapult I now have when opening the trunk...
I know different trunk springs are available, also removing one spring will distort a CF trunk lid. Mine wingless trunk is steel, I still can't find out for sure if one spring will work OK with this set up. Anyone know for sure? I searched.....thats why I ended up here;)

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts