IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a day off yesterday so i thought i'd go look at some new seats. don't get me wrong, i like the stock seats, tons better than the seats in my old WRX, but i find them a little lacking in lateral support during heavy cornering.

anyway, i sat in a set of JDM seats and a couple of sparcos, the milano and the new one, can't remember the name. i'm about 6' and weigh 170 with a 34" waist. i thought the JDM seats were the best of the bunch, they fit me very well and seemed to have marginally better shoulder support, not sure if the upgrade is worth the money though. the milano was way too tight for me, which surprised the sparco guy quite a bit. the new sparco seat fit very nicely, but a set would cost me more than the JDM seats and they only come in fabric, no fake suede (which i like).

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about upgrading the seats? i guess i could always put in a 4 point harness, but i don't really like looking like a poser.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I changed my seats and I would never go back. If you are dissatisfied with your seats and you do canyon driving or auto crossing, these are a must do item before any other performance mod. Be aware though that chances are aftermarkets seats will not have the side impact air bags. Besides the safety issues this raises, you may have a problem with the air bag light being on all the time. I have not done anything to eliminate it, but I have heard that a simple resistor will tell the computer that everythign is ok and the light will go away.

Also, if you are spending big money and not getting airbags, pay attention to teh weight difference between the new and old seat. Obviously, a heavier one is a bad idea, but this is an easy way to drop weight to go for the lighter seat if it provides the kind of support that you seek. Should be good for 10-50 pounds weight loss depending on teh seat you get, but that will also be part of the price you pay too.

M

·
0 Posts
Actually, I just bought the black JDM STi seats. The cost is really minimal, because you can pretty much turn around and sell your current interior for 1k, so you are looking at a fairly cheap upgrade.

At first, I planned on putting aftermarket seats in (I didn't like the stock seats at all), but after I broke them in properly, I realised I really liked them, they were just not bolstered enough. So, I went with the JDM seats. When I talked to Rallispec, they had 2 sets available, 1 blue and 1 black. I decided on black, :).

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Cobra seats. I forget which style. Cost = 1400 with the proper brackets. I have already been to the track (Willow Springs) with them and I still think they were worth every penny. I drove my friend's STI with stock seats while at the track and it seemed so much harder to drive well because I slid from bolster to bolster.

At that price, these seats are not for everybody, but they are definitively racing seats and grip you as such. They are comfortable for somebody like myself 6.1. 175 pounds; skinny as a pole basically, to sit in for short or long drives. THey form to my body and hold me in place.

Now if I can find the right resistor for that air bag everything will be perfect.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I'm still seriously considering putting a set of blue Sparco Milanos in the front come springtime. Much better for autocross. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I looked into seats back when I first got my STi in early July. It turns out that I ended up just getting 6-point 3" Schroth harnesses and left the stock seats. What I found is that with the harness on, I am not going anywhere. So it makes the seat purchase a bit less critical. On the other hand, going to a good seat would give me (1) weight reduction (42 lbs to ~15 lbs -- each), (2) better fit for the harness shoulder straps -- the stock seat opening is too narrow for comfort, (3) better holding, even with the stock seat belt, (4) sitting lots lower, reducing CG.

Note that I'm ruling out seats like the Milano. While they're cool seats and all, they're not competition seats, and they're incredily heavy -- almost the same as the stock seats (38lbs vs. 42lbs -- a Sparco Evo weighs 15lbs). Why bother -- you're losing the airbag and not really gaining anything (but spending $900 per seat!). I found the Sparco Evo feels really nice, but is just a whisker too tight in the waist for me -- too bad since the Evo 2 will be an inch too wide I'm sure. The Pro 2000 fit better in the waist, but doesn't fit quite as well overall. I really like the look of the Recaro GT3 seats, but at $1800 each I think I'll pass.

For now, I think I'll stock with the stock seats, use the harness when I want to get held tight, and leave the race seats for when I can convince my wife to allow a full roll cage in the family sedan.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i have the same thoughts about the sparco evo - and will do it sometime within a couple of months. gotta convince my girlfriend too. :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts