IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Best? I'm not sure.

Best Deal? Walmart. I think Schumacher (sp?) is the brand name. $17.95. Works like a charm. I have 4 of em. (lots of toys I rarely use...unfortunately the STi is one of them). Comes with quick disconnects if you want to go that route as well. You just hook it up and turn it on. It will charge the batt if it needs it, and then provide the small trickle charge to keep it up and healthy. Has a light to tell you what's going on...

VV

[edit]
Here is a pic:

[/edit]

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
any of the units from most stores will suffice...Sears or wallmart...etc...

·
Registered
656 Posts
These are absolutely safe to leave on and untended for months at a time (assuming it's in a dry location). In the wintertime I keep the Camaro on the trickle charger and in the summer I keep the STI on it if it's going to sit more than a week. Easy to hook up and works like a charm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tank said:
These are absolutely safe to leave on and untended for months at a time (assuming it's in a dry location). In the wintertime I keep the Camaro on the trickle charger and in the summer I keep the STI on it if it's going to sit more than a week. Easy to hook up and works like a charm.
^ :)

VV

·
Registered
595 Posts
The battery tender product is the best. We have quite a few motorcycles, trucks, etc. that we keep charged up with these things. Dad has a show H-D that has a 5 year old battery and had not been started in 2 years. A weekago he turned the key and it started right up.

·
Registered
988 Posts
When hooking up the Walmart (Schumacher brand) charger, do you need to take any precautions with the battery.

Do the leads need to be cleaned? What's the best and safest way?

Do the vent holes need to be opened?

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
They recommend disconnecting terminals to the car. I've done it both ways without issue. Good idea to clean battery terminals before charging. Also, get some baking soda, like two tablespoons and 4 to 8 ounces of water, mix and poor onto top of battery. If you have an old toothbrush, brush solution around and rinse off top of battery with clean water. Let dry, then hook up your Battery Tender.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Are the OEM batteries special in any way? I've seen some chargers have AGM or Gel charging rates. I was curious if our OEM battery was a regular car battery or one of these other types.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Batter Tender. Jegs sells them. I have one because I put my STI away for salt season. When I start it up, it's like I just drove the car yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
Are the OEM batteries special in any way? I've seen some chargers have AGM or Gel charging rates. I was curious if our OEM battery was a regular car battery or one of these other types.
Subaru OEM battery is a regular plate battery.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Subaru OEM battery is a regular plate battery.
Thanks. I've never really messed with the car battery before and I appreciate your responses. They warn that your battery can blow up so I'm being overly cautious.

My last question is about the vent holes. What are these used for? Should they be open when charging the battery?

·
Super Moderator
10,725 Posts
Thanks. I've never really messed with the car battery before and I appreciate your responses. They warn that your battery can blow up so I'm being overly cautious.

My last question is about the vent holes. What are these used for? Should they be open when charging the battery?
Yes, if sparks or open flame around the battery, the results would not be pretty. As the battery charges and the chemical reaction occurs which allows it to charge, gases are emitted and "vent" to atmosphere so to speak. You can be overly cautious and loosen them, but remember to tighten prior to driving.
If using a battery tender type charger, you do not have to have the vent caps open (referring only to stock Subaru battery).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

Don't open anything on the battery. The caps are vented as-is. Opening the caps will expose the acid inside which is not nice stuff to have spill on you or your clothes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
With explosive gases venting out, I take it that you want to have the area well ventilated as you charge the battery (i.e open the garage door or charge outside).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts