IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some ALMS the other day and heard an interesting comment by one of the commentators. The comment led to this question. What are your views on tranny braking? Never in a million years, once in a while or my car has brakes?

I think I fall into the my car has brakes category. Am I going to regret this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Whatever happened to the WRX coupe?

i downshift though the gears when traffic permits and when no cops are around. the new beetle i drive i lot has a borla cat-back that has some SERIOUS snap-crackle-pop. my truck is an auto so i dont even notice the tranny when driving, its all about the noise from side stacks. i did all the time in my camaro til i took off my cat (it melted after a damn good tune-up on a new motor) but its a matter of opinion unless you just cant drive a stick like on of my friends, he dumps it ALWAYS... or horribly slips it. my girlfriend doesnt ever i dont notice to much of a difference b/c i try to shift like butter.

this brings to mind another question, do you keep your car in gear around a turn? not a mountain or twistie road. people up north i know your answer b/c of the climate in winter, im in dallas and its always warm and quite flat. so what would you do on a 30mph entrance to the service road to the highway? i stay in 3rd and downshift if neseccery about a 3rd of the way through, before the apex so i have traction there. anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Technically, you're supposed to do all of your shifting and braking before the turn, and be in the correct gear to accelerate out of the apex. If you're really interested in technique, check out http://www.turnfast.com/. They have a very good overview of driving technique that will get you on the right path.

I always keep my car in gear no matter what. With power going to the wheels, you are in more controll of the vehicle. In many states, it is illegal to "coast" a vehicle. It's considered wreckless driving.

I use tranny braking to an extent. But I'd rather call it engine braking, since I heel-toe most of my downshifts so the engine RPMs are matched to the vehicle speed when I release the clutch. Then the engine is allowed to slow the vehicle.

J.B.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I said tranny braking but also wanted to include engine braking, it's basically the same thing, right? Can't do one with out the other.

I almost all ways keep it in gear. Sometimes on long lights I’ll throw it into neutral. I also try to do all my shifting and braking before the curve so I can pull out of it.

Yeah, I can attest to the coasting thing. I picked up that habit when I was learning to drive and during my test I got marked down for sticking it in neutral and coasting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
jbhebert said:
Technically, you're supposed to do all of your shifting and braking before the turn, and be in the correct gear to accelerate out of the apex. If you're really interested in technique, check out http://www.turnfast.com/. They have a very good overview of driving technique that will get you on the right path.

I always keep my car in gear no matter what. With power going to the wheels, you are in more controll of the vehicle. In many states, it is illegal to "coast" a vehicle. It's considered wreckless driving.

I use tranny braking to an extent. But I'd rather call it engine braking, since I heel-toe most of my downshifts so the engine RPMs are matched to the vehicle speed when I release the clutch. Then the engine is allowed to slow the vehicle.

J.B.

i was referring to daily driving with people in close proximity, and i know about being in gear during the turn, i heel toe downshift and sometimes can go clutchless, but not in a daily driver, no sir. i was just wondering b/c i stay in gear and my girl does not. this is for both turns and stopping, she doesnt stay in gear, i do and i get yelled at for drving correctly in her car.....

if i were "racing/going at a quick pace" id slow down and be in gear before the turn, but under traffic conditions in texas(land of the tailgater) i dont recommend that you slow before the turn ...this is again, in texas, flat uneventful texas and we have NO twisites or harpin turns so people learn to pace off of the car ahead of them, like with cellphone drivers. if i were driving in the kind of enviroment that had twisties id never be in nuetral, id HATE the aftermath of a LSD engaing in a turn and torque steering you into a berm/guardrail. i only say i downshift a 3rd through b/c the bugs' powerband can be a pain at lower speeds, i hate to bog the motor down.

·
Registered
281 Posts
BuDDyLeE said:
...if i were "racing/going at a quick pace" id slow down and be in gear before the turn, but under traffic conditions in texas(land of the tailgater) i dont recommend that you slow before the turn ...this is again, in texas, flat uneventful texas and we have NO twisites or harpin turns so people learn to pace off of the car ahead of them, like with cellphone drivers. if i were driving in the kind of enviroment that had twisties id never be in nuetral, id HATE the aftermath of a LSD engaing in a turn and torque steering you into a berm/guardrail. i only say i downshift a 3rd through b/c the bugs' powerband can be a pain at lower speeds, i hate to bog the motor down.
When I say slow down, I mean slow down to the point where you can take the corner without loosing control. Obviously, in normal driving conditions, you usually don't have to slow down much for most corners, because you don't have the opportunity to get going too fast on most public roads. However, when racing, you are either accelerating or braking. There is rarely a time when you are maintaining speed, because this costs you on your elapsed times. So in a race, you would be accelerating right up to your braking reference point. This braking usually includes a downshift to get you in the right gear to come out of the corner. You hit your apex and accelerate out, and keep accelerating right up to the next corner.

J.B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts