IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to see it for the mits guys but they are starting to see quite a bit of problems due to the build quality.

the Tranny problems, Must dismissed it as normal noise, read the last page and you will see it's not normal.

People are reporting Tranny problems, at first mits was replacing the trannys cause of the deceleration noise that some thought were normal. Most found metal in their trannys. Mits now says they have no fix for the problem and have stopped the replacements till they figure something out.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17829

There are also alot of people complaining about problems with thier carbon fiber wings. Bublling and such. Now Mits says blemishes are perfectly normal on their TSB below.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23529&highlight=wing

Plus the TSB from Mits

http://www.mitsubishitechinfo.com/data/TECH_DOCS/2003/52003473/html/520034737.htm

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Wow that sucks...guess it's true what they say about Mitsubishi quality!

Regarding Carbon Fiber processes...I work in an aerospace company and we manufacture many carbon fiber parts, some of which are larger than a billiards table. It can be difficult to build a perfect part, sometimes parts get wrinkles or delaminations (layers separate from each other) and depending on the defect, it is either repaired or scrapped. If the part is cured at the correct temp, and the layers or plys weren't either resin-rich or resin-thin, the part should come out perfect. Alot of the problems are either due to operator error, or someone let the raw materials sit out too long and they began to dry out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SnowbordrWRX said:
Wow that sucks...guess it's true what they say about Mitsubishi quality!

Regarding Carbon Fiber processes...I work in an aerospace company and we manufacture many carbon fiber parts, some of which are larger than a billiards table. It can be difficult to build a perfect part, sometimes parts get wrinkles or delaminations (layers separate from each other) and depending on the defect, it is either repaired or scrapped. If the part is cured at the correct temp, and the layers or plys weren't either resin-rich or resin-thin, the part should come out perfect. Alot of the problems are either due to operator error, or someone let the raw materials sit out too long and they began to dry out.
Yep, I am sure it was operator error. Mits contracted out the wings to be made by another company. they got over whelemed I am sure and were trying to rush the wings out the door. I am sure one of the main reasons mits is not warrantying these wings now is due to cost, since they are not done in house.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The carbon fiber wing is more or less a cosmetic flaw but the tranny failure is unacceptable. I am glad that in some cases Mistu has replaced the tranny but it makes you wonder what else will break and when. This is one of the reasons I stayed clear of the Evo. Hopefully Subaru didn't do any cost cutting in their tranny design which it sounds like Mistu did. The quote from one of the Evo owners below is very enlightening:

"For anyone who has had a chance to pull off the under chin spoiler and look at the tarnsmission. . . .

My trany case looks like it was cast by a buncth of neandetahls - - the case is very very roughly finished and it has cracks in the metal - its just a really poorly made casting - - no where near as professional looking as the suby transmissions

I do not know if this is par for the course with or if this is something new to the evo - - but with that type of poor casting work its clear that they did not take great care with these transmissions "- Alfriedesq

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i'm anxious to see how they resolve that tranny problem. one of our own (wojo) went with the evo. i hope he doesn't encounter this problem. how is it possible that the magazines beat up on evos and none of them had this problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ebay Auction: Waiting Spot

Here is my take on it:
The problem isn't as big as some may make it. There has been an issue with a total of 5 trannys out of the first batch of Evo's. It seems to be isolated to first allocated cars...same with the wing. Also, some hearing noise such as 3/4 gear whine now think there is something wrong with their tranny because of the post talking about it. The whine is perfectly normal on decel because of straight cut gears for extra strength..some people have no experience with stout built trannys that usually make a little noise. I have had a Tremec TKO and a T56 that both made whining noise, etc. Keep in mind that this 5-speed is the same 5-speed that was used in previous j-spec Evos..but are actually improved for extra strength with double/triple synchros. They are proven to handle a bunch of horsepower.
As for the wing, I think it is just a matter of Mitsu trying to get the cars out in time and the wing manuf. rushing the first ones a bit. All the Evo's I've seen have had perfect wings.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
broeli said:
Here is my take on it:
The problem isn't as big as some may make it. There has been an issue with a total of 5 trannys out of the first batch of Evo's. It seems to be isolated to first allocated cars...
You can sugar coat this all you want. The fact is people are having legitament problems and are not having their problems taken care of. I expect to see a TSB on this soon.

·
Registered
866 Posts
dlowman, you need to chill a bit. Maybe it's just me but I didn't read any "sugar coating" in broeli's post. Although I don't know the exact number of problems not everyone is having problems. You laid out some facts and so did broeli. And he didn't deny the existance of problems did he? As for not being taken care of, that's all on Mitsubishi. They'd just be shooting themselves in the foot if they started denying legitimate claims on legitimate problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can sugar coat this all you want. The fact is people are having legitament problems and are not having their problems taken care of. I expect to see a TSB on this soon.
:lol: What did I sugar coat? I explained it. There have been 5 issues nationwide and two of the people on evolutionm have a legitimate issue..the others are hearing a perfectly normal noise. What is hard to believe about that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Straight cut gears???? Since when is the Mitsu tranny straight cut?

If that was true, it would whine like a WRC car.
Here is a post from the owner of one of the Evo's that have an issue(turns out it may not even be an issue with the tranny at all):

"UPDATE-

Took the car into a different dealer (props to Walkers Renton Mitsubishi and Joe in the service dept). They found no metal in the tranny or transfer case, but after he got the car up on the racks, he gave it a start and checked the tranny whine with an oscilliscope (sp?) and we heard some vibrations coming from the tranny going into the transfer case. This being said he got on the phone with Mitsu Techline where the first rep told him that 5 trannys across the country have been replaced so far so it sounded like I would be the 6th~!~

BUT.... about 5 min later we get a call back from a Mitsu engineer who explained to Joe that out of all 5 of those trannys that were swapped, the decel noise was still there. He also explained to Joe that the reasons for the decel noise was 3rd and 4th gear being cut Straight, for heavy duty use. As of know, there is no fix for this and they dont even know if its a real problem even. This is all coming from a Mitsu engineer, not some person that answers phones.

This at least puts me at ease, and the fact no metal shavings or chunks were found. If you do find metal shavings take it in RIGHT AWAY. Those of you with the decel noise, just keep an eye on your tranny fluid. Also - the oil in the transfer case WILL BE DARKER due to an oil cooling additive that was placed in there (Mitsu engineer explained this as well) "

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
broeli said:
Straight cut gears???? Since when is the Mitsu tranny straight cut?

If that was true, it would whine like a WRC car.
Here is a post from the owner of one of the Evo's that have an issue(turns out it may not even be an issue with the tranny at all):

"UPDATE-

Took the car into a different dealer (props to Walkers Renton Mitsubishi and Joe in the service dept). They found no metal in the tranny or transfer case, but after he got the car up on the racks, he gave it a start and checked the tranny whine with an oscilliscope (sp?) and we heard some vibrations coming from the tranny going into the transfer case. This being said he got on the phone with Mitsu Techline where the first rep told him that 5 trannys across the country have been replaced so far so it sounded like I would be the 6th~!~

BUT.... about 5 min later we get a call back from a Mitsu engineer who explained to Joe that out of all 5 of those trannys that were swapped, the decel noise was still there. He also explained to Joe that the reasons for the decel noise was 3rd and 4th gear being cut Straight, for heavy duty use. As of know, there is no fix for this and they dont even know if its a real problem even. This is all coming from a Mitsu engineer, not some person that answers phones.

This at least puts me at ease, and the fact no metal shavings or chunks were found. If you do find metal shavings take it in RIGHT AWAY. Those of you with the decel noise, just keep an eye on your tranny fluid. Also - the oil in the transfer case WILL BE DARKER due to an oil cooling additive that was placed in there (Mitsu engineer explained this as well) "
That was posted by boostedwrx on May 17th and he is still persuing this issue. He still doesnt believe his problem is normal.
On the 19th he posted this.

"yea im ready to go back to the dealer again and tell them to bring out a rep to look at my car. One of the dealers I took it to (the tech works on DSM's and has a 1G w/water injection) wanted to replace my tranny because of the noises he heard from the oscilliscope. But told him that the noises where normal. They are NOT normal.

Mad VIII ill get you my info asap. My dealer has it. We need to all have a rep look at our cars. There HAS TO BE a bearing bad. Thats the only thing I believe. This is NOT gear whine, or gear chatter"

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I promise you there is something lost in the translation in that explanation. Being an engineer and having spent half a semester going over gear design, I can promise you that would make one hell of a sound. You would go from normal road noise to "SHREEEEEEEEEEEE" as soon as you hit 3rd and 4th.

They may be more straight cut than normal, but they are still helical gears. With an entire gear tooth surface engaging at the same instant, as a straight cut gear would, you would know it.

And if that was true...the sound would be there at all engine speeds....not just a certain range.

·
Registered
410 Posts
SIGH......... So the Evo's may have some problems. Who cares. Are we buying evos? NOPE!! This thread is turning into an evo vs. sti flame war. I thank dlowman for informing us of things like this. And broeli as usual jumps on his soapbox to defend the evo, which i don't mind. But this thread needs to stop. I guarantee you there will be little problems with STI's too. Such as oh i don't know.......delivering sold order cars with the wrong color wheels and options. Or my favorite, not sending any cars at all to some dealerships for months. I just went to my dealership today. They checked their june pipline report, called their subaru rep and called the head guy in the district and they foung out they aren't getting my STI(#1 on list) until late July at the EARLIEST!! Why do some dealerships get cars on May 16th and some(mine) not get them for another 2-3 months. Its bull***!! My sold order was placed in early december and subaru should send me a car earlier than late July. I am so close to saying screw it and taking the money for this STI and combining it with the money from 2 of my cars im selling and just going all out and getting an R34 skyline. Peace!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
dlowman,

For the last several months, you have taken on the role of "imbedded" reporter relative to the EVO and dutifully reporting EVERY negative comment in at least 5 forums. Your dedication seems more than casual. :)

I own an EVO and am still #1 deposit here on a white STI and hope to be one of a handful of owners who will have the best of both worlds. I hope to be test driving the STI in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

Speedlimit..... :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speedlimit said:
dlowman,

For the last several months, you have taken on the role of "imbedded" reporter relative to the EVO and dutifully reporting EVERY negative comment in at least 5 forums. Your dedication seems more than casual. :)

I own an EVO and am still #1 deposit here on a white STI and hope to be one of a handful of owners who will have the best of both worlds. I hope to be test driving the STI in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

Speedlimit..... :)
Someone has to keep you EVO guys in check so you don't run a muck
:lol: And its only 4 forums for the sti and 1 for the evo thank you very much

I am agressive passive, comes from too many years of martial arts. And yes my style is better than your style :roll:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts