IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo. This is my first post, but I'm big at clubwrx.net...

I'm thinking of trading in my '03 PSM WRX with about 13k (by that time) in for an STi.

What do you guys think I could get for my car? And assuming we could get the STi at MSRP, how much would I have to pay? (if I traded it in)

Would it be a BETTER idea to try and SELL my car? It's in PERFECT condition... I clean it every week.

It's modified now, but I'll be putting it back to stock (mostly), except for the uppipe... unless you guys think I should replace that too...

Any suggestions you guys have for me before I head to the dealer? I won't be going through with this until early december or so, but I thought I'd get a good idea now, and maybe start on the reverse modding early. :D

Should I get on a wait list, or do you think that the STi's will be more readily available by the time I am ready to purchase?

Thanks in advance guys, and I can't wait to join the STi crew :lol:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Check Edmunds for your WRX value, KBB, NADA, etc... Create a relationship with dealer.. Also, STIs can be found for $1000 over invoice now-a-days...
U bought a car form them before, they made money on u, and they see u as a long term customer, see what they offer, if nothing that u can match with offers from kbb, nada, etc, then try autotrader, ebay, local papers, forums, etc..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
amdmaxx said:
Check Edmunds for your WRX value, KBB, NADA, etc... Create a relationship with dealer.. Also, STIs can be found for $1000 over invoice now-a-days...
U bought a car form them before, they made money on u, and they see u as a long term customer, see what they offer, if nothing that u can match with offers from kbb, nada, etc, then try autotrader, ebay, local papers, forums, etc..
Alright, I'll do that. But I'm curious what values people are getting for their WRXs... mainly the '03s...

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't want to dampen spirits but keep in mind that most new 2003 WRXs are being discounted by dealers. If you sell it privately you should try for $18,500. As far as stock versus modified, most of the engine mods could not be used on the STI.

Good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
roger said:
Don't want to dampen spirits but keep in mind that most new 2003 WRXs are being discounted by dealers. If you sell it privately you should try for $18,500. As far as stock versus modified, most of the engine mods could not be used on the STI.

Good luck
Stock vs modified?

Engine mods CAN be used on the sti... like my turboback exhaust (TXS), and my Samco hoses, and my hks bov, and my blitz intake, yatta yatta yatta...

I guess I just have to go to the dealer to get a REAL quote :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
OK. I just picked up my STI yesterday (PICS soon in the Got Mine forum) and I had to deal with the same problem. Here's the deal:

1. Dealers are trying to get rid of their 03s as fast as possible so on average they will go as low as 750-1000 under invoice. They can do this because they get cash back from the manufacturer every time they sell one.

2. It's a tough market out there. Right now if you get 17,500 - 18,000 for your trade in consider yourself lucky. If you're planning to sell it to a private party a fair price (depending on milage) is around 20,000 (with say 15k miles). Even if KBB tells you its 22,500-23,000 that is simply not the case right now with all the deals being offered on new ones.

3. Put your WRX in a garage (read keep milage low) and wait till '03 stock dries up (at least a couple of months) you should be able to sell a hell of alot closer to bluebook by then.

4. Mods will further depreciate the car in the general market. Most people will prefer the subaru limited warranty and the ability to extend that warranty over you mods.

Good luck man, personally I kept my 03 in the family, I gave it to my lil bro for around 20k didn't mind losing the money to him.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'll be going back to stock completely before I traded it in or sold it.

Thanks for the info!

I'd be in the market near or around the end of october and the beginning of november.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I traded in my 02 PSM WRX on an STi at a Suby dealership very close to you. I got $19,500 for it with my Rota SubZero's(they wanted my wheels). My car was back to stock and had 12000 on it. I guess if you deduct the cost of the wheels and tires ($1000), I got $18,500 for it. However, given the fact that I would NOT have gotten $1000 for the wheels and tires if I sold them out right, I feel very good about my deal.

Not to tease you or anything; I was a stage2 TXS car (309 HP) but the STi is so much more. This engine just sounds so much more healthier than the 2.0L WRX engine. I will be putting my TXS turboback back on next weekend. I am not sure how much your Samco's will help on the STi, I thought their hoses were a high flow version already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts