IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of changing all the bushings on my car over to whiteline/TIC/Kartboy components. It’s been a real pain in the ass, lots of seized and rusted parts.

I originally wanted to run my existing Tein flex coilovers for the year, but they are blown and the top hats have literally started to fall apart.

I’m deciding on going full out on racecomp tarmac 2 coilovers or something else someone can recommend. Not a daily, mainly my toy / getting into the track days

·
Super Moderator
10,722 Posts
I've been running RCE T2's on my 2004.7 STi and love them. But the hot trick is Fortune Auto coilovers. Eric Dewey Dewitt from 6 Star Motorsports in Illinois can get them valved for your specific needs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've been running RCE T2's on my 2004.7 STi and love them. But the hot trick is Fortune Auto coilovers. Eric Dewey Dewitt from 6 Star Motorsports in Illinois can get them valved for your specific needs.
is dewey on here? he needs to update his videos for his racing page.

that being said, cygnus performance is my suggestion. although, it's basically what got2boostit2 suggested too lol. Geoff owns cygnus performance and works with fortune auto to build coilovers valved and spec'd to your specific needs. he has quite a bit of experience with subaru (although, so does dewey). I previously had tien flex coils and flatout suspension st52 coils, the cygnus (made by fortune) out performs both of my old setups. my cygnus coils run hyperco springs, 9k fronts and 8k rears. for reference, both of the previous setups had 7k fronts and 5k rears. not only do the cygnus outperform on the track, they ride smoother. it really is amazing how much better they are. and at a setup that was within my budget. On top of that, both cygnus and fortune have an outstanding warranty as well as the availability to be rebuilt/upgraded down the line. so say you get the basic set based on the fortune 500, but want to upgrade to a 2 way 3 years later, you can do that. i could rant all day about them. they are fantastic and i personally wouldnt suggest anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always thought of fortune auto as a “less then” company, not sure where I learned this…. But I’m definitely interested now, I’ll send emails to both and pick my favorite answer haha. Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
fortune is definitely not a less than company. i cant say enough good about them. i havent even completely dialed mine in yet and they out-handle both of my old setups.

·
Super Moderator
10,722 Posts
Tons of winners in Gridlife classes all models running Fortune Auto coilovers. Definately a consideration in my mind.
Dewey spends tons of time in the Facebook group Track Subies. Not much time here if any.
Ohlins are my dream setup just for nostalgia but out of budget atm.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tons of winners in Gridlife classes all models running Fortune Auto coilovers. Definately a consideration in my mind.
Dewey spends tons of time in the Facebook group Track Subies. Not much time here if any.
Ohlins are my dream setup just for nostalgia but out of budget atm.
i havent been on fb since shortly before christmas. I need to make another account legit just for the track subarus group haha. so much good info there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I ended up going with the FA/X-1 setup through Cygnus with their triple bolt camber plates front and rear, 11k front and 10k rear hyperco springs. Should be pretty solid, can’t wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I came here to say Ohlins.
My buddy yelled at me and said that too, but after digging up reviews from other makes and models outside of the STI, I don’t think I will be disappointed. With the options I was able to stay under budget, with the other companies I would of been closer to 3k maybe more.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So I ended up going with the FA/X-1 setup through Cygnus with their triple bolt camber plates front and rear, 11k front and 10k rear hyperco springs. Should be pretty solid, can’t wait.
Not far off from mine. I did the same thing with 9k front 8k rear springs. With aero I may have to go up 1-k though lol. Let me know how that rides

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
My buddy yelled at me and said that too, but after digging up reviews from other makes and models outside of the STI, I don’t think I will be disappointed. With the options I was able to stay under budget, with the other companies I would of been closer to 3k maybe more.
Ohlins didn't make them for my STi (GD), so I had KW's. For my tack car, I've been very happy with Ohlins. I've upped the spring rates to 13k/10k, but will be upping again to 15k/13k as I am plowing up front on the slower stuff and my front bar is set full soft. My S2000 actually came with KWv3's, which were decent and I had upped the spring rates on that as well. I could not seem to dial them in as well as I would have liked and tried the Ohlins.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OMG, wow those top hats! it is borderline unsafe. I have never seen them corrode like that before. I had 2 sets of Tein Type Flex.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG, wow those top hats! it os borderline unsafe. I have never seen them corrode like that before. I had 2 sets of Tein Type Flex.
I was very surprised when I saw it, it’s like the grain of the aluminum is breaking free…. I’ve never seen such a thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
lol not borderline. that's 100% UNSAFE
I know, I just didn't want to come across as completely harsh....I would never drive a car like that. I had Tein Flex in my '99 Eclipse GSX for a lot of years and they never did that. I live in NJ and we gat horrible weather with too much salt. My strut towers were rusting all to hell, but not the hats.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know, I just didn't want to come across as completely harsh....I would never drive a car like that. I had Tein Flex in my '99 Eclipse GSX for a lot of years and they never did that. I live in NJ and we gat horrible weather with too much salt. My strut towers were rusting all to hell, but not the hats.
yeah i had tein flex coils on my original setup (on my third set of coils lol).....they were nice, and even when they were used enough that a strut blew they didnt have rust like this, i think one of the springs had super mild surface rust, like sandpaper by hand with like 10 seconds would pull it off. i used those for probably 30k miles, no clue how long the previous owner used them for, then i had a set of flatout suspension coils, they were used probably another 30k-35k miles and they were BAD. but not as bad as these, but bad enough i didnt sell them for someone else to rebuild, i just threw them in the trash (really the shop's scrap metal bin lol). now i have cygnus/fortune coils. best set performance wise thus far, but only like 4k on them if that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to do coils and thinking of either Fortune or Cygnus X-1
I will say Cygnus has been great to work with so far, phone calls and text messages… I definitely feel like we are on the same page, and understanding of what I’m looking for. I can’t say many other companies actually put the work into customer service like this. As a business owner myself (side hustle) I believe that the customer connection is better then anything else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I want to do coils and thinking of either Fortune or Cygnus X-1
cygnus is made by fortune to geoff's specs. and geoff cygnus has been wonderful to me in terms of customer service. talked me through everything and all options and had alot of knowledge and was able to explain things that i didnt know. i went with x-1 motorsport coilovers. i have one trackcross day, so the things are barely dialed in. and i already see and feel a performance benefit to both my old sets of coils (old ones were flatout suspension, and tein flex). the x-1 has stiffer springs than either of the previous setups and still rides better because of the valving. between the product being awesome, and Geoff being super customer oriented, i'd suggest these to ANYONE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts