IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing the video section and watching some track videos that people had posted and gets me thinking.

How is it that you get involved in these "races" or track events. I am not talking about auto cross, but I would love to get my STI out on a track. I wouldnt even have to compete, but have a safe place to stretch the cars legs and have some fun on some turns etc.

I have looked into SCCA a bit, but havent gotten too much info. So for those of you that run your cars on the track, how do you get involved in something like this?

Edit: for an example of a track that I am talking about that is near it would be Watkins Glen.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Here in NJ we have a few clubs (im still new to this too)

www.pdadrivingschool.com

^^ just as an example... from this site I can sign up for HPDE (High performance driver education ) and choose from atleast 3-4 local tracks. The clubs have their own track days also. Some clubs rent out a track, you pay a certain amount, and you can run on the track with other drivers.

Your first step is in the classroom. If you are famaliar with how it works, you may or may not need an instructor, however its good to get one if you are not famaliar with the way things work.

Once you go once, you will want to go over and over again. Its one of those things....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'd find a track you want to run at and look at their calendar/schedule to see what groups regularly rent it out. Then research those clubs and find one that has a good, safe record and doesn't charge an arm & a leg. I took my STI to Laguna Seca within a couple months of purchase - best decision ever! :)

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Check out www.opentrackaction.com they have a little directory you can have a gander at.

NASA is a club worth looking at, they are pretty cheap and when I was @ midohio with them earlier this summer I enjoyed myself.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Audi car club and BMW car club have excellent HPDEs. They have top instructors and most local clubs orginize events. I did my first event with the Chicago Audi club this year and it was great. I am doing my 7th day at the track this Monday with AMS (the EVO shop), I can't wait.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
Irishsti said:
www.scda1.com <---- nuff said. Check them out, they go all over the country, great guys, a lot of fun. They were very organized and ran a smooth show.

Yep, i was at limerock with Tim and a bunch of other iwsti guys and it was amazing. you just print out their form, send it in with a check, and show up at the track.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
Nasa, Audi, Bmw, Porsche, mazda, etc are all clubs that can have track events.

I started by finding the nearest track, and just signing up for a track weekend though the clubs website. Most of the time the track has hyperlinks to the registration page! Once you do that the orgonizers will send you emails and before you know it you'll be out on track.

I did my first event less than a year ago, but this year alone i have 22+ track days under my belt, bought a race car and next year i hope to race wheel to wheel!

good luck!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Finding a Track Event

All the previous advice has been spot on.

Find a track you'd like to drive on; take a look at the track calendar; find an event hosted by the BMW Club, the Porsche Club or the Audi Club. They will provide classroom and on-track instruction in a safe setting.

Hope this helps!

Gary

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Also check out, comscc.com.

They go to Watkins Glen twice a year, just like SCDA. Comscc has a bit more competitive enviroment and a drivng school, but still a great time. There is a lot of STi owners involved.

Abdi

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info, I have been checking out the BMW chapter in my area and Comscc. I like the idea of the BMW classes etc. It is basically what I was looking for. Not there for compitition, but for some fun and learning. Looks like Ill be waiting until next year though. Gives me time to save for some fun next summer!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Aren't you guys afraid of voiding your warranties by going to track events? That's the one thing holding me back from doing anything fun like that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
why would it void yuor warranty!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
LogicalXtremes said:
why would it void yuor warranty!!
SOA considers track days "abuse" and if you ever have anything go wrong with your car, they'll just say you abused it and won't honor the warranty. That's what i'm afraid of.

·
Registered
690 Posts
how would they find out !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts