IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
On the STI, you can use your ebrake as its activates the drum brakes only. Typically you don't want to use your ebrake cause the heat still left in the pads and rotors can cause the fluid to boil while sitting in the pits. But Porsches and STI's and a few other cars have drum in disc parking brakes so it's not an issue.
If your drum brakes are hot enough after coming off the track that it's melting pads, you've got MUCH bigger problems.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Why don't you want to use your ebrake in the pit? I'm guessing that your rotors might be hot enough that the ebrake could cause the pads to stick? What sort of ebrake is on the STI, is it an axel brake (I don't see how it could be) or does it actually engage the rear disk brakes manually?
In the case of the sti, I've been warned that the parking break pads will get stuck to the inside of the rotor as the rotor cools down and you won't be able to move your car or will damage the shoes. Not sure this is in any way true, but it's an easy practice to learn to never use the parking brake at the track. Most paddocks are pretty flat and a chock can be a scrap of 2x4 that you should probably bring anyway in case you are jacking the car.

Frank

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
In the case of the sti, I've been warned that the parking break pads will get stuck to the inside of the rotor as the rotor cools down and you won't be able to move your car or will damage the shoes. Not sure this is in any way true, but it's an easy practice to learn to never use the parking brake at the track. Most paddocks are pretty flat and a chock can be a scrap of 2x4 that you should probably bring anyway in case you are jacking the car.

Frank
Good advice. NEVER use your ebrake. Park where it's flat to let your motor run and cool down, when done, turn it off and leave it in gear.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
This memorial day weekend I'm brining a kiddie pool to VIR and a skateboard to get around on. I might bring a football too. :)

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
^ Now you my friend know how to enjoy the track! Haha, to many people get all anal about what to bring, and when they get there realize its not that serious, unless your in a race:lol:

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I'd like to add a few things to this list:

- HPDE insurance. Do it. You will regret the first time you crash.
- Download Harry's laptimer or any other lap timer. You will learn a lot about how you are driving.
- Extra memory card for your go pro, because it's very easy to fill it up in just 3 sessions. You don't want to miss that Z06 pass in your last lap. ;)
- Lap top to hook your video up to and watch with an instructor for instant at track feedback.
- Something to get around on (skateboard / scooter). You will get VERY tired from walking around.
- Windex. Is this on the list? Yes - you will want this. Your windows will get decimated with bug juice.
- A pad to kneel on when you are working on your wheels / brakes.
- Extra clips for the fenders, and under garments on the STI. These pop off easily and can get you black flagged if they see it flapping around.
- Canopy tent. Bring a tent for the summer. You will regret not getting it.
- A Cot. You can get very tired. Along with that... a pillow.
- A hot GF to attract people to work on your car if something goes wrong. Otherwise, you are just another dumb ass.
- An exit plan in case something happens to your car. You will eventually crash or have mechanical issues where you can't drive your car home.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Lots of good input this far. This is my first year doing HPDE. My 2 cents that I'd like to share:

- Drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated throughout the day. I drink enough water that I have to take a piss everytime I come back from a driving stint. Staying hydrated helps you to stay focused on the task at hand. Being dehydrated takes away from your concentration and it only takes the smallest blips in your concentration to have an "incident". STAY HYDRATED.

- Seating position is EVERYTHING. Find that perfect seating position so that when you are driving at the limit you are "one" with the car. If your position isn't perfect, you are constantly thinking about the deficiency and that takes away from you concentrating on the technical aspects of going fast.

- Check your oil every time you pull back into the pits. I do. I'm surprised at the number of people who I NEVER see check their oil level. Wow.

Have fun out there, HPDE is the funnest thing you can do with your pants on :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
Something that needs to be repeated, check lugnut torque after every session and prior to the first session. I had an incident where I worked on the car, loaded it on the trailer and headed to the track. Decided to check lugnut torque and all four wheels were loose. I failed to torque them after swapping from street tires to track tires!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Something that needs to be repeated, check lugnut torque after every session and prior to the first session. I had an incident where I worked on the car, loaded it on the trailer and headed to the track. Decided to check lugnut torque and all four wheels were loose. I failed to torque them after swapping from street tires to track tires!!!!!!
This is so very true.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
- Extra clips for the fenders, and under garments on the STI. These pop off easily and can get you black flagged if they see it flapping around.
This is they type of thing you should carry zip-ties and tape for. Universal tools that can be used to fix more than a couple parts on the car are far more desirable when you don't have room or desire to bring a full toolbox and spare parts. Those clips may be small, but I certainly wouldn't bring a lot of little specialty parts if there is a simple way to fix it with something generic.

- Drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated throughout the day. I drink enough water that I have to take a piss everytime I come back from a driving stint. Staying hydrated helps you to stay focused on the task at hand. Being dehydrated takes away from your concentration and it only takes the smallest blips in your concentration to have an "incident". STAY HYDRATED.
Drinking lots of water is good, as dehydration can make you lose concentration. But so can needing to relieve yourself while on track. Trying to get in the last couple of laps in the session while thinking about having to go will split your attention. Also, full bladder during an accident can be very bad if it ruptures. So, drink plenty of water, but don't overdo it, and try to relieve yourself before heading out.

Something that needs to be repeated, check lugnut torque after every session...
Check, double-check, triple-check before your first session. Check again after your first session if you like. But do not continue tightening them up after every session when that area is too hot to touch. you can stretch and fatigue the studs over time this way.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I am seeing a lot of people bring sandals now. Wearing your driving shoes all day can be a bit much in the heat especially when you are stuck in jeans or suit all day.

Had a great day at NHMS today. First time in advanced. I did better than I thought I would. I did a 1:20.4 today. Then, my brakes over heated again.

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
Check, double-check, triple-check before your first session. Check again after your first session if you like. But do not continue tightening them up after every session when that area is too hot to touch. you can stretch and fatigue the studs over time this way.
Never had this issue, numbers usually stay the same over course of day.:confused:

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
I am seeing a lot of people bring sandals now. Wearing your driving shoes all day can be a bit much in the heat especially when you are stuck in jeans or suit all day.

Had a great day at NHMS today. First time in advanced. I did better than I thought I would. I did a 1:20.4 today. Then, my brakes over heated again.
Time for some brake ducts! :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I must.... once again.... post this vid...

:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Never had this issue, numbers usually stay the same over course of day.:confused:
On my very first track day I ruined a wheel and some studs on my LGT wagon because I didn't think to check the lug nuts. I unknowingly drove home with the loose wheel, thinking the faint noise was a suspension problem I could sort out later. By the time I realized what it was I had damaged most of the studs and the lug nut seats on the wheel.

So no, don't overtighten, but DO check the tightness of your lug nuts. I suggest doing so before the first session, at lunch, and after the last session.

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
On my very first track day I ruined a wheel and some studs on my LGT wagon because I didn't think to check the lug nuts. I unknowingly drove home with the loose wheel, thinking the faint noise was a suspension problem I could sort out later. By the time I realized what it was I had damaged most of the studs and the lug nut seats on the wheel.

So no, don't overtighten, but DO check the tightness of your lug nuts. I suggest doing so before the first session, at lunch, and after the last session.

To be clear, what I'm saying is my experience has been once torqued and checked repeatedly throughout the day - the torque values tend to stay the same. You should always check the torque multiple times on any track day. IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree 100%. Check, then check after cooling down from 1st session, then they should be good for the day or until wheels removed/rotated.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts