IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Here's my list - note that it is for my 911, but nearly everything should transfer over to the STi:

Things to Pack for the Track

General
Cell phone
Wallet
Cash
Event Paperwork
Directions
Tech sheet
Licenses (driving, instructing, racing)
Track map

Safety
Helmet
Driving suit
Driving shoes
Driving gloves
Car numbers
Fire extinguisher

Tools
Jack plate
Factory toolkit
Baseball bat
Racer’s tape
Bra - hood section only
Oil
Paper towels
Shop rags
Tire gauge
Wheel chocks
Torque wrench and socket
Breaker bar
Drill and socket
Windshield cleaner
Stopwatch
Tire pyrometer
Plastic trash bags
Zip ties
Latex gloves
Hand cleaner

Brake bleeding
Open-end wrench set
Empty glass bottle
Tubing
Brake fluid
Motive bleeder
Vice grips
Turkey baster

Swaybar adjustment
Allen head wrenches
Hammer
Loctite blue

Comfort
Sunglasses
Cooler
Mints / chewing gum
Gatorade
Food
Hat
Sunblock
Change of clothes
Folding chair
Rain jacket
Saline solution
Extra contact lenses
Eyeglasses
Aspirin

·
Registered
127 Posts
May I recomend that prior to going to the track you look it up at www.trackpedia.com get a good track map and watch some videos....

·
Registered
127 Posts
In addition to the above suggestions, I bring fuel jugs. I use so much 100 octane in a track day that it's a pain going to the pumps every other run session so I fill up the tank and all the jugs first thing in the morning, and then I can refuel wherever I'm parked.

Also, bring a extra set of properly gapped spark plugs and a gapping tool (don't know if anyone already mentioned that).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Add chalk to that list. You can use the chalk on the tires to determine whether you are rolling over on the sidewall

agreed. chalk or white shoe polish to get your tires to the right pressure.

i would also add a note to the spare tire removal...if you're driving to the track in your track car, you should still bring your spare to the track. just remove it when you are there, so that you have it in case one something happens to one of your wheels. of course, if you are bringing a second set of wheels, this is probably not necessary.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds stupid, but getting a large plastic bin at walmart always helps to keep your stuff together and dry. When its not in your car when you racing.

I always forget getting this when autoxing and I use dumb plastic bags :/

That was the other thing I was thinking was chalk for the tires. Great for regulating tire pressure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
3 more:

-LED headlamp for when you have to work under the car

-tools like keys or allen wrenches specific to adjusting your shocks

-extra brake pads, and possibly rotors depending on your setup

Frank

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi,

I am a complete track novice... And will be starting in a couple months tracking my 08 sti and learning how to drive it better.

These lists seem very long. Where do you store all of this stuff while on the track? What are absolute musts for the first time on a track. Do the tracks supply anything? I do not want to go unprepared but at the same time, I do not have all of that stuff. Where is a good place to start, or should I wait till I have all of those tools?

I appreciate all and any answers.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
3 more:

-LED headlamp for when you have to work under the car

-tools like keys or allen wrenches specific to adjusting your shocks

-extra brake pads, and possibly rotors depending on your setup

Frank
Extra rotors are a great idea. It'd suck to have a track event ended early with a call to a tow truck because you cracked a rotor.

That said, if you're going to bring extra rotors make sure to have a Helicoil kit handy just in case your calipers don't cooperate with you.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi,

I am a complete track novice... And will be starting in a couple months tracking my 08 sti and learning how to drive it better.

These lists seem very long. Where do you store all of this stuff while on the track? What are absolute musts for the first time on a track. Do the tracks supply anything? I do not want to go unprepared but at the same time, I do not have all of that stuff. Where is a good place to start, or should I wait till I have all of those tools?

Honestly at this point, I've learned to bring almost all the things listed in this thread to almost every event, and I've learned this the hard way for some things. You will go through some of this as well.

I pack everything in a big rubbermaid bin. Most of the stuff on the lists here fit in one bin. The jack, jack stands, track tires, helmet, and wheel ramps are the only things that are loose in the car. I keep all the hand tools and some of the smaller parts in a tool box that fits in the bin (actually an old fishing tackle box). Here's a picture of the bin in my car:

There's a tire stuffed in it because I was running out of room. I was picking these tires up- there were not something I would ordinarily bring as spares! :lol:

One last thing- can't remember if its been mentioned, but you should print your list out and check stuff off just before you leave. I routinely forget something, and last week it almost cost me a track day when I had to turn around because I realized I had left my wheel lock tool in a backpack that was back at my house.

Frank

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Another item to add on the checklist is your contingency plan if and when you crash. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when due to mistakes and others on the course.

One more thing, read the fine print on your insurance policy and understand it thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hi,

you probably want to bring oil, water, and brake fluid. spare front brake pads are also a very good idea, and a few minor tools. if you need a jack in a jam, you can probably borrow one. there are a lot of things you might be able to borrow, but if you have to, it may take you longer to fix any problems, since you will have to ask around.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
+1 wondering too
Removing locking lug makes it easier and less complicated if you need to remove the wheel/tire (or track folks need to remove- God forbid). Also, less tools to look for if you need to torque lugs after each lapping session ala KISS......you know keep it simple. IMHO of course.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
1. Awesome 12-month bump!
2. Agreed on +simplicity w/o locks
3. A good tire pressure gauge and a logbook.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I suggest a cot to take a friggin nap!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't forget wheel chalks as you don't want to use your ebrake when you pit in.
Why don't you want to use your ebrake in the pit? I'm guessing that your rotors might be hot enough that the ebrake could cause the pads to stick? What sort of ebrake is on the STI, is it an axel brake (I don't see how it could be) or does it actually engage the rear disk brakes manually?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Why don't you want to use your ebrake in the pit? I'm guessing that your rotors might be hot enough that the ebrake could cause the pads to stick? What sort of ebrake is on the STI, is it an axel brake (I don't see how it could be) or does it actually engage the rear disk brakes manually?
Your pads could melt to the rotor. Saw it happen at Watkins Glen. Not a pretty situation.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts