IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I feel like I need a checklist every time I go to a track day because no matter how much I prepare in advance I always seem to forget something different each time. The goal of the list below is to present a comprehensive checklist of things one should consider taking with them before going to the track. The list is intended to cover all aspects of track events, so if you do not see something on the list please include your tips below and I will update the list as frequently as possible. If you use the checklist, please realize that some of the point may not apply to your particular track event so not everything is mandatory.

1. 2 quarts of Motor Oil (minimum)
2. Tire Pressure Gauge
3. Wheel lock & Torque Wrench (or remove the wheel lock before the track day)
4. Helmet & possibly Gloves
5. rain/sun/thermal wear & sunscreen & hate & sunglasses
6. Cash/CC (you might need gas at the track)
7. Basic Tool Kit (dont forget the right tool to adjust your rear sway bar if adjustable)
8. Pyrometer
9. Folding Chair
10. Jack/Stands
11. Log Book
12. Food & Drink/Cooler/Lunch etc.
13. Magnetics
14. Remove Spare
15. Air Pump/Air Tank
16. E-Z-up
17. Adquate clothing for extreme temperatures & climates like rain, wind, humid, or high heat levels(i.e. long sleeve and short sleeve shirt at a minimum).
18. Power Steering Fluid

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Are we talking about HPDE sessions?

If so, let’s see: Do a basic tech review of the car, remove take-off items like spare, lose the wheel locks, swap wheels (?), jack/stands, torque wrench, pyrometer, magnetics, helmet, hat, rain/sun/thermal wear, water, lunch, log book, basic tool kit, folding chair (?), driving shoes, sun glasses, cash, remember to take your wallet out of your pocket if you’re using a harness and don’t like your chiropractor, lol.

There’s a lot more, it depends on the type of event and travel distance.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of general track days thrown by different organizations because I was familiar with those, but if you have an item specific to a particular type of organized motorsports flag it with a * and put the type of motorsports it is specific to in (...) and I will still add it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
You forgot an air pump. Two of the tracks I've been two don't have them available during HPDEs (go figure.)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Wheel chocks are nice to have as well as a long sleeve shirt(depends on how strict the group you run with is about the rules) and a short sleeve shirt.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
atc5 said:
why should you remove your wheel locks at the track and replace w/ regular lug?

curious...
IMO, wheel locks are too much of a PITA when swapping wheels and checking torque – which certainly should be done between sessions. They’re just one more thing to contend with. Actually, two things: The locks and the key.

I don’t really have a need for wheel locks around home, although I do have a set that ‘came with the car’. If I were using them, I’d just take them off the night before the event when I prepped the car.

I try to keep the tech stuff as simple and as organized as possible, so I can focus on driving the car at events. A wheel lock on my car at a race event would be more likely to result in an improperly-torqued lug than in the prevention of a wheel theft.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
atc5 said:
why should you remove your wheel locks at the track and replace w/ regular lug?

curious...
in addition to what sciolist mentioned i've had instructors tell me it's a good idea in the event you get stuck off line or in the weeds at the track. i guess they view having to swap in a donut as a PITA if you also have the wheel lock lugs to deal with.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is what I use for my autocross trips: autocross list. One thing I like about it is that I've tried to organize it into sections, so I check all the things that go in the race bag, close it up and they're all done. Load up the trunk and it's done. I just draw a line down the left as I've packed things. After everything but the bottom (water, snack, coffee) is done, I prepare those and I'm ready to go.

I didn't list a tire gauge because I keep my race gauge in the glove box where it never leaves. I carry a cheap spare in the race bag. Some things I don't always take -- air compressor, camera, chair, and so on. I don't take extra clothes or a book to local events. Now that I've bought some race gas to get above 91 octane I'll have to add that.

If I was doing track days I'd probably want to include a few extra things like oil and brake fluid. A roll of race tape or gaffer's tape is nice to have, and I've heard some people wrap a bit around a prescription bottle to make a smaller package. For karting I'd add rib protector, neck brace, kart suit, closed face helmet. God knows what a full list would be like for all the stuff to keep a kart running for an hour.

One addition I might make would be some to-do items that may need to be done. For instance: get air, get gas, get money, check weather, feed trunkmonkey, check oil, check street tire pressures, wash car.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Fire extinguisher, usually for somebody else's brakes. Extra set of front brakes why I'm talking about them. Tarp to put all your stuff on. Little tuperware container for all the stuff in your armrest and glovebox. The right attitude.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't forget wheel chalks as you don't want to use your ebrake when you pit in. Also, as a note, bring water. I know it's already on your list, but ensure you bring more than what you think you will need. It's easy to get dehydrated when you out there. Brake fluid, spare brake pads, coolant, shop rags, painters tape (if you want to tape up your headlights, etc.) window cleaner, paper towels, and an open mind. :D

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
Might sound abit stupid. However I would have the # of a friendly tow service in your cell phone incase you break your car.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts