IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the inevitable happened. Ring lands. 25K miles on a 2009, with about 10K of those miles earned on a track. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Just wasn't necessarily ready when it did. But who is?

This happened June 2014, but I've been lazy in keeping this journal update to date. So what did I do? What any insane person would do.. go all in. Well, go all in as I could reasonably rationalize/afford. I can't say there hasn't been some buyer's remorse.. did I really spend that much money on a complete build? What was I thinking? Then I drive the car and the smile removes any doubt.

So, from Watkins Glen I had the car towed by a friend to Innovative Tuning in Buffalo. The car was tested (bad) and plans were made. I had a budget and Mike did his best to keep the build near budget knowing the car is put through hell at the Glen. Would I have done more now in hindsight? Probably. The initial dollar amount of a build seems insurmountable until 6 months later and you're already looking at upgrading. I should have opted for a header.

In the end, Innovative came through with a motor I have confidence in. Mike is very patient and designs the builds with the use in mind. Track car ? ... built it right.

So, the car? What'd we do..

Innovative Tuning Stage 2 Subaru Shortblock
Je pistons FSR 99.5mm 8.5 compression
ACL race bearings
Rod upgrade to H Tuff
Balanced and blueprinted

Innovative Tuning Head Rebuild
Manley Performance Extreme Alloy Exhaust Valve Set - WRX/STI stock size
Manley Intake Valve Kit - Stock Size Standard Alloy - WRX/STI
GSC EJ25 Valve Spring w/retainers
ARP Cylinder Head Studs - Subaru EJ20, EJ22, EJ25
TGV delete with porting option
IAG Preformance Air Pump Block Off Plates for 06+ WRX/STI/LGT
ACT SB10-HDSS Clutch Heavy Duty/Street Performance Clutch Kit
Innovative Tuning FPR Kit with gauge - 08-12 WRX/STI
KillerB EJ Oil Pan
KillerB Oil Pickup
KillerB Windage Tray
Innovative Tuning Turbo Blanket
Defi Red Racer 52mm oil Pressure
IAG air/oil separator AOS
Perrin GT3076R rotated kit
Perrin FMIC
Cobb V3
Existing Mocal oil cooler re-routed

So, what's left - like I said, I need a header and believe it or not, I am still OEM on the cat back. She sounds like a turbine engine with the turbo and a silent exhaust. There's more power to be made for sure.

I'm happy with the car now, I'll be taking it back for another round of tuning soon. I only have 1500 miles on the motor since October. Once the salt trucks stopped and the rain washed the salt way, I've been driving it around town, but it's so much car for a daily driver. It's just not comfortable like my daily driver.

------------- end

The upgrades to my STi have been made with an aim to improve balance and handling over power. Reliability and a margin of safety remain high priorities. Some mods haven't been as successful or had as much as an impact as I'd hoped, but with anything you live and learn. This forum has been very informative, as have my friends I've met at the track. Everyone has an opinion and deciding which ones are relevant is part of the learning experience.

I want to thank several companies whom have provided emails and phone support helping me make educated decisions and plans in this build: Innovative Tuning, Racecomp Engineering, Perrin Performance, and Chris Whaley of Merlin Manufacturing. These companies are not sponsors, but have offered tremendous customer support - which is most appreciated.

Mike McGinnis of Innovative Tuning has been a wealth of information with tremendous patience and guidance. He and his team are at the track, testing their builds and gaining more and more experience which they provide their customers. If you are ever looking for a track tune or advice, this is the guy.

Anyway on the mod list:

[Black installed]
[Green to be installed]
[Red to be purchased]
[Blue sold or no longer using]

Cobb AccessPort
Cobb Heat Shield
PTP Turbo Blanket

Perrin Catted Downpipe
750CC DW Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
K&N Typhoon Intake, wrapped in DEI Gold Tape
2005 STi Fuel Dampener
Tuned by Innovative Tuning, 291 WHP & 323 ft/Lbs.

25 Row Mocal Oil Cooler
160° Thermostatic Oil Cooler sandwich plate
Oil Cooler - Braided lines and A/N fittings, all wrapped in fire sheath
Koyo Radiator
OEM TMIC wrapped in DEI Gold tape
OEM hoses and wiring harnesses wrapped in DEI sheathing or tape
Crawford AOS V2

Perrin 25MM Sway bars
Perrin Subframe Lockdown
Perrin Positive Steering Response System (ALK)
Perrin Engine & Transmission Mounts plus Pitch Stop
Perrin Crank Pulley
Perrin Soft Sway Bar Combo
Perrin End Links

Kartboy Endlinks

Whiteline Steering Rack bushing
Whiteline Front Control Arm Bushings
Whiteline Rear Control Arm Upper Inner bushings (camber correction)
Whiteline Rear Trailing Arm - Lower front Bushings
Whiteline Rear CrossMember Mount Insert Bushings
Whiteline Rear Diff Mount in Cradle Bushings
GTSPEC 4 Point Front Ladder Brace

Racecomp Engineering Tarmac IIs 500/500
GT Worx Front Camber plates
Racecomp Brake Cooling Ducts
RCE Yellow Springs

Girodisc 2 piece Front rotors
DBA 4000 T3 Front rotors
CL RC8 F, RC6 R
Stoptech Braided Lines
Motul RBF600
ATE Super Blue

SMY Cluster
DEFI Boost and Oil Temp Gauges
Prosport Boost and Oil temp Gauges

OEM BBS
Hankook RS3s
Conti DWs
Yokohama AC13s

Conti Grand Am Take Offs 275/35/18
Gram Lights 57DR 18x9.5

Sparco Harness Bar
Schroth Harnesses

Other Brake Pads I've tried:
Stoptech, OEM
Hawk DTC60, 30
CarboTech XP12, XP10
Pagid RS29F & RS14R pads

Alignment: -3F, -2.2 R, 0 toe.

Here's a link to my youtube channel, which has some videos from my laps at Watkins Glen.

Thanks.
-------------------
Jun 17, 2013:

A good photo of the car at Watkins Glen May, 2013.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CL RC8 and RC6 Review

Picked up some CL RC8 Front and CL RC6 Rear pads. These pads aren't cheap and well, they didn't last long enough. They have tremendous initial bite, the modulation isn't the best, they never fade, but they only lasted 3 hours of track time at the Glen. The rears faired better as expected, but still wore 50%. I've been running Pagid RS29s for years, with them lasting several events.. I'll be going back to Pagid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Do you know what your injector duty cycle was at the time of your tune

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 09 trackable/livable(?) STi

Do you know what your injector duty cycle was at the time of your tune

I don't recall exactly, but Innovative installed those injectors with head room for upgrading to a larger turbo down the road. I believe we discussed the HTA68 as an option. There are no plans for E85 as it is not readily available near me or the Glen. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't recall exactly, but Innovative installed those injectors with head room for upgrading to a larger turbo down the road. I believe we discussed the HTA68 as an option. There are no plans for E85 as it is not readily available near me or the Glen. Hope this helps.
No e85 stations around me either so might just get some 750's as well. I will be running a killerb header and composite tgvs

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

Watched one of your videos where you did a 2:17.
You need headers and a free-flowing exhaust and push past 300 ponies. Your car is SO quiet!
For a still streetable and livable car you have struck a nice balance. You could/should do coil-overs. That wouldn't necessarily be bad (or have to be bad, if adjustable), for the street.
Have you seen my '11 STi journal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Watched one of your videos where you did a 2:17.
You need headers and a free-flowing exhaust and push past 300 ponies. Your car is SO quiet!
For a still streetable and livable car you have struck a nice balance. You could/should do coil-overs. That wouldn't necessarily be bad (or have to be bad, if adjustable), for the street.
Have you seen my '11 STi journal?
I have RCE Tarmac IIs on there now. They were a big improvement over Yellows with OEM dampeners.

My track tune is actually only about 275WHP, so I'm down even more. I would like a new exhaust, I just have had other priorities. I definitely don't want one that drones, so I'm kinda of stand-off-ish about just buying one I haven't heard. I am interested in the Nameless Exhausts, so I'd likely go with one of those if I did pull the trigger. I want a mix of weight loss and good sound.

I want to drop some weight in other places and add some safety measures next though. Unfortunately, my budget is limited.

My last event in April I managed some 2:16 laps, and I know I can get 2:15, maybe 2:14, if I figure out the grip on the Contis better. Last event, I ended up facing the Armco through the Carousel, which gave me a pucker moment. I was able to correct and continue on, but it slowed me down a bit.

Yes, I've seen you journal.. You have been busy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: CL RC8 Review

What are your opinions on the different track pads you've tried? Was looking at Carbotechs and Pagids. Always ran Hawk and PFC on previous car.
I've tried, Stoptech, Hawk, Carbotech, CL and Pagids. I think the Pagids are the best. I ran the RS29s in the front and RS14s in the back. They are awesome.

I just tried the Pagid RSL1 up front, so far, the best pad I've ever tried. They wear better than any other pad and have just as much stopping power. The higher price is paid back in longevity.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

You should give Raybestos ST41/43 a try.. you'll love it... good modulation and long life! Then again.. the new track I've been frequenting is pretty easy on brakes :lol: (compared to the track I learned on locally which eats brakes like nobodies business..)

This is my personal experience coming from Ferodo DS3000s (the best modulation I've ever had) and Garbotech XP12/10 combo.. (worst ever...) as well using Hawks on other cars..

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

Just a related question since we are talking about pads... Is there anything comprehensive that compares race pads? I get dizzy going from one site to the next trying to compare qualities. Pagid has their spider web-like graph. Others rate by temperature, etc.
Anyone seen a spreadsheet?
FYI, since I don't do enduros; I tend to just look at performance. I'm in a rut, in that I have just been using Hawk DTC 60 and 70. I'm also in a class of user that very good brake cooling is a must.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Some of my friends run the ST-41/43 in their EVOs and swear by them.

I don't think there is really any comprehensive way to compare pads across manufacturers other than trying them. I think a lot of it has to do with the track, your driving style, the way the car is set up, tires, etc. Brake cooling ducts, rotors, fluids, etc all play a role in feel, performance, and wear.

It took me several brands and I'm sold on Pagids. I won't run anything else in the stock Brembo caliper. If I go to a BBK, I may have to go through this process again. But I'd start with Pagid if they had fitment for whatever I decide on.

The guys at KNSBrakes answered a LOT of my questions via email. Can't hurt to bounce some ideas of them. Their prices aren't bad either, I've bought from them in the past and would recommend them to anyone.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

I bought my Stoptech Trophy BBK and Hawk pads from KNS. They know brakes.
I would argue that there are comparables for racing pads. Yes, there are enduro (longer lasting), pads and perhaps pads that work great on light cars with big brakes... However, if you don't leave out street use or mixed use (compromised), pads in my discussion, then we have a bucket of worms.

I was just at a NASA event and there was a Subie guy there, with a really nice street car, who was running racing pads without the necessary brake cooling or DOT 4 fluids. He experienced boiled fluid from very hot brakes as the result of very aggressive race pads. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't crack the rotors. I guess what I am trying to say is anecdotal information is worthless, and data from the manufacturers is about all we have to go on. The wow (!) factor just doesn't impress me. What KNS says probably would.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I would argue KNS is able to provide you guided suggestions by having personal experience with numerous brands and compounds and good customers whom they've built relationships with whose opinions and determinations they trust.

Just like us, they can either try the pads and let us know how they behave or they have to believe what the manufacturers' claim.

You would need a third independent party to compare/measure/test pads to get unbiased ratings of characteristics.

--
I was looking at the Trophy Kit myself. From what I've read they don't fit under the stock BBS right? I still use them as DD wheels.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

I was looking at the Trophy Kit myself. From what I've read they don't fit under the stock BBS right? I still use them as DD wheels.
They do work with my stock 2008 STI wheels. Won't work with 17" wheels.
If nothing else, I'm sure KNS has lots of experiential data or first-hand feedback from their customers. Still, they don't sell all the brands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts