IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone got experience with Toyo tires? I did some search on the forum but couldn't find an real answer. Would Toyo 245 40 ZR 17 tire fit ok on 05 STI with pink springs?

thanks,
all

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
we need a little more info.

What wheels are you running (size, offset)

What alignment settings are you looking for

which Toyos are you speaking of?

hopefully not the T1R b/c they are terrible.

the RA1 is a very good track/lapping tire but not very good for street duty due to it's soft compound.

for us to give you straight answer we are going to need more info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

The tires are PROXES T1-S, I will be running the stock 05 STI rims and whatever the pink spring lowers the car.

Thanks,

T3h_Clap said:
we need a little more info.

What wheels are you running (size, offset)

What alignment settings are you looking for

which Toyos are you speaking of?

hopefully not the T1R b/c they are terrible.

the RA1 is a very good track/lapping tire but not very good for street duty due to it's soft compound.

for us to give you straight answer we are going to need more info.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
yikes those are worse than the T1Rs.

and yes they'll fit fine considering 255/40 RT615s fit on stock BBS wheels and STi Pinks

(they'll fit assuming you're not running some crazy alignment).

·
Registered
581 Posts
I disagree. The T1-S and T1-R are awesome street tires. I wouldn't expect them to perform well at the track or an autocross because they are not directly competing with Falken Azenis RT-615, Hankook R-S2, or Yokohama Advan Neovas. Their soft sidewall makes them great for street driving since they soak up bumps much better. They are also ultra light weight (better for fuel economy and acceleration) and take a lot of rotating mass off the car compared to the stock RE070's (27 lbs. a tire versus 20.9 lbs. a tire for 225/45R17 T1-R's).

That said, they are fine for most street driving including canyon carving. Look elsewhere if you want a track day lapping tire (RA-1, Advan Neova, etc.). I run 255/40R17 Azenis RT-615 and they are overkill for (sane) street duty.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
smurfm3 said:
I disagree. The T1-S and T1-R are awesome street tires. I wouldn't expect them to perform well at the track or an autocross because they are not directly competing with Falken Azenis RT-615, Hankook R-S2, or Yokohama Advan Neovas. Their soft sidewall makes them great for street driving since they soak up bumps much better. They are also ultra light weight (better for fuel economy and acceleration) and take a lot of rotating mass off the car compared to the stock RE070's (27 lbs. a tire versus 20.9 lbs. a tire for 225/45R17 T1-R's).

That said, they are fine for most street driving including canyon carving. Look elsewhere if you want a track day lapping tire (RA-1, Advan Neova, etc.). I run 255/40R17 Azenis RT-615 and they are overkill for (sane) street duty.
they aren't very good in the rain (as street should be), they feel squirmy.

but then again I'm used to more "autox" type tires (RE070s and RT615s).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about Toyo PROXES 4 245/45ZR17 99W? I just pick them up for $190 + some gas money to pick them up from like 120 miles round trip. They are used but almost new 9/32nd.

smurfm3 said:

·
Registered
581 Posts
miwxq said:
How about Toyo PROXES 4 245/45ZR17 99W? I just pick them up for $190 + some gas money to pick them up from like 120 miles round trip. They are used but almost new 9/32nd.
Proxes 4 are good all-season tires. Every person that I've spoken to that has them likes them. In terms of dry grip and steering response, they can't compete. However, in daily use, they are much more practical than maximum performance summer tires like the Azenis RT-615 or Potenza RE070. Not only will they last a lot longer, they will also absorb the Bay Area's many road imperfections much better than tires with extremely hard sidewalls. This is a welcome relief if you use your STi daily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts