IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently been running the Toyo RA1 as my track tire, at full depth. I would really recommend anyone who get these tires to have them shaved the 4/32nds prior to mounting them on you car. I did not do this and the tire is very squirmy under braking and turn-in. Now that the tires have worn down significantly about 2/32nds the tire grip is as good as any R-Compound that I have ever run. All in all though I would say that the Nitto NT-01 is a much better track tire, if they make it in your size.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah, full-tread RA-1's suck. They have way too much tread squirm and howl like crazy on the corners, somewhat like mediocre performance tires. I learned this the hard way driving on my rain tires in a dry race. I was down 1-2 seconds off my normal pace and chunked up my rain tires. I bargained on rain and lost. I guess it was better than bargaining on no rain and having it pour. That's the problem with not having a full race team ready to swap tires on for you 5 minutes before you go out. Someday... (dream on). :p

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
seattle sti said:
I have just recently been running the Toyo RA1 as my track tire, at full depth. I would really recommend anyone who get these tires to have them shaved the 4/32nds prior to mounting them on you car. I did not do this and the tire is very squirmy under braking and turn-in. Now that the tires have worn down significantly about 2/32nds the tire grip is as good as any R-Compound that I have ever run. All in all though I would say that the Nitto NT-01 is a much better track tire, if they make it in your size.
doesn't toyo reccomend this?

just out of curiousity, were these properly heat cycled and stored?

Have you tracked the NT-01 and the Toyo RA-1 on your STi (same suspension setups)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts