IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual says 2000 lb with proper equipment. Anybody have any experience towing with the STI.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Not yet, but I would eventually like to be able to pull a small trailer to autox events so I can bring a second set of tires and some tools.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I tow a 2001 yamaha 1200 3 seater waverunner. I have a hitch for a 2004 Impreza in my sti that can handle 2000 + pounds. I have had not trouble, in fact, this car can pass up hill when I am towing. Installation is a breeze, took less than 1 hour to install and clears the factory exhast with no issues. Mounts directly to factory bolt locations.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Yes, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thorn said:
You trying to tow something with your STi. :eek: I'm trying to find something to tow my STi from track to track. It just doesn't sound right to tow something with the STi.
It doesn't sound right to tow your STi around instead of driving it, either...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Flynlow said:
Installation is a breeze, took less than 1 hour to install and clears the factory exhast with no issues. Mounts directly to factory bolt locations.
Any chance at all of getting pictures of that? Is there any way at all to make it somewhat "stealth"?

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is a drawtite hitch, all that you see is the reciever, everything else is hidden under the car behind the bumper and over the exhaust. I am sorry but I do not have pics of it yet. It Was about $150 dollars and I installed it myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: light mods for new STI owner....

I thought it would be a good idea to put a cargo rack into the receiver of my Drawtite WRX hitch to carry my summer radials to solo2 events. The hitch was installed by a local shop and fit just fine. When new, the cargo rack looked fine, tires cleared the trunk lid, platform was level, etc. After driving to Colorado Springs and back to Western Nebraska, the cargo carrier is now trimmed a few degrees by the stern. I assume that the firm suspension of the STi is a bit too much for the cross beam of the hitch, as it has obviously taken a permanent set. Not sure if a trailer would have hammered the hitch as much as the carrier, but I can't really see why it wouldn't. I'm thinking that this (supsension stoutness) is why Subaru doesn't recommend fitting a hitch to the STi. My plan is to continue using it unless it continues to droop farther, at which point I'd look into some sort of reinforcement of the cross beam. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i've got a friend who tows his kart w/ his wrx. i towed mine for a yr and a half w/ my old civic si. no problems w/ either, yet. i got my hitch installed at "sports rack", which is a great way to go if you are in the sf bay area. they mounted the hitch, and did the wiring for the lights on the trailer in about 1hr and 15 minutes. worked out really well, and if flynlow hasn't had any problems, well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts