IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go apply some touch-up paint to a small area on my bumper that has a rock chip on it. After I let the paint dry for 24 hours... I read that I should wetsand the area to remove texture, but wouldnt that remove the shine from the paint as well?

Anyone who has done this before, give your input step-by-step.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd be interested to hear about this too.

Also, would it be better to apply clear coat and than wet sand? I have never done it so I have no idea; I have just been touching it up with paint and leaving it that way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
+1 on wanting to get some info, and where to get some aspen white touch up paint from...

·
Registered
314 Posts
after you apply the touch up paint, you would color sand it and it will appear dull looking. after the wet sand you need to buff and polish the section and it will look like new again.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
what grit sandpaper should one start and end with? i want to try this, but i'm nervous about screwing up

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I just wetsanded the touch-up paint spot and it actually turned a darker white once I started sanding it. The paint also started turning the color of the sandpaper. I let the touch-up paint dry 24 hrs. before I started wetsanding it. What am I doing wrong??

·
All Day Everyday
1,665 Posts
I am assuming if you wet-sand something, you'll be stripping off the top coat of paint on the car. Wet buffing deals with using wax compounds to smoothen out and stretch the newly coated paint to match the rest of the body paint. I'm not a paint expert but what I think you should be doing is wetbuffing and not wetsanding. There is a thread here that trnkmnky made in rebuilding and repainting his v-limited lip. He used wet sanding to prep the part for paint and not for touch up. Here is the link:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58461&page=5

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I would let it dry for more than 24 hours, the paint may not be fully cured yet. I would give it a week then wet sand it from 1500-3000 til its butter smooth. Then use some finecut polishing compound and polish it up and seal it with a sealent or wax.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
ive done this. Let the paint sit for about 3 days to a week and then start off at 1500 grit moving up to 2000 and 3000 if desired. It will become a slight white dull ish color. buff that section wash the car and wax the rest and it should blend in pretty well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts