IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen anything on here about this yet, but does the STi suffer from torquesteer? I was quite surprised when I heard about this, given the 3 active diffs. Has anyone experienced this, does the problem get worse on a modded car (more HP) and if so how bad is it? Does changing the DCCD setting help?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've never felt any, and it doesn't seem likely with symmetric AWD and three LSDs. How exactly could torque steer occur with our setup?

·
Registered
454 Posts
At least from my experience, it's when one axle is longer than the other than you get torquesteer... but Subies aren't like that. The axles are equal length.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Right, that's what "symmetric AWD" means. Subaru has started emphasizing it in their marketing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it is the Suretrac front diff that in fact causes the torquesteer. Well it is reassuring to know that you guys say there is none, but my buddy did say he remembers reading one test drivers comment that, "the wheel was tugging left and right in my hands" or something to that effect.

I'll do some digging and see if that refers to the 04 USDM STi or not.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i remember reading that the symmetric AWD basically does away with torque steer. Torque steer is generally only a problem is above average powered FWD vehicles. i do know if you really get on the gas while accelerating from a dead stop into a turn, like if your pulling into traffic from a parking lot, you'll get some steering input that will make you pay attention in a hurry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any AWD car really shouldn't have any torquesteer at all.

The EVO 8 has no LSD at all in front and is devoid of any torquesteer. Thats why I was so suprised to hear the Sti might.

Apparantly this problem is talked about in the new Sports Car International Magazine, with the Mecedes SLR supercar on the cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was out in fresh snow 2 in. last night , Accel at 3/4 thottle upto 70- 75 mphand yes it does wrench at the wheel when you hit dry or ice below the snow . Try it out if you are capable driver just start out slow,Don't white knuckle the wheel as some do, relax and just maintain a firm hold,try it out and make it happen so you will know what to expect if you are ever caught out. Enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blitz DD bov...questions about idle

Yes, the car has pretty sever torque steer, it is one of the few faults of the car. Love the car, but hate the feeling. Comming from a rear drive platform, it is dramaticly naticable.

Michael

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would agree it is caused by the LSD. I guess if that is thedrawback of having one up there, I can certainly live with that! However, having said that I expect that that is something they will work on for future models.

Please dont get me wrong, I Love the car. Really really fun to drive, perhaps more fun to drive than any other car I have owned, and is amazing on the track as well.

Like I said, the one issue I have with it, and its certainly not something that really bothers me, I just drive around it. But it could be better.

Thanks for the link.

Michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
i dont know if i would call it torquesteer, but ive noticed my sti drives just like my truck did in 4x4 on the street

all four tires want to go straight, when turning you get resistance, wheels wanting to go straight, dccd in manual open (all the way back) will lesson this effect

it is completely the front lsd, which is the reason i chose my sti over the evo, which is also the reason i fell in love with this car

"you think that stock truck of yours is four wheel drive, huh?" :wink:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
OK, traditionally the term "torque steer" has referred to high-torque FWD vehicles that would pull to one side when accelerating in a straight line. I don't believe the STi suffers from this phenomenon because of the front LSD and symmetric drive shafts.

I do think the STi exhibits other behavior due to the front wheels being driven and the front LSD, but I wouldn't call it torque steer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm..very interesting stuff. I think that answers my question.
So this is only happening when cornering aggressively? Or also when drag racing or in a straight line?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Never felt any torque steer at all. You can feel the power in the front wheels when going around a corner fast in the wet and letting it find the best grip (DCCD in auto mode), but that's not the same as torque steer. Torque steer is having to fight to keep the wheels pointed in the direction you want. With the sti, you can feel through the steering you are powering the front wheels and have a slightly stiffer steering feel as a result, but there is no issue whatsoever with it affecting the steering.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with slowride. No torque steer in a straight line. If I have the wheels turned at a stop (such as turning onto a street) and floor it, I really have to hang onto the wheel, the front tires want to pull the steering wheel right out of my hand(s). Makes even harder to do with one hand because the 1-2 shift comes so fast. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts