IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nope, not my thing. I dont like it at all. Looks like a snowboard bolted to the back. Oh well, as long as you are happy with it thats all that matters.

I like your rims though. :)

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
not my thing either, just doesnt look right in any way to me. but as sha zapple said as long as your happy with it!

M

·
0 Posts
Wow, looks totally unique.

You got a picture from directly behind it, kind of what people would see as you flew past them?

How did you detach the tether that connected the upper element to the lower one?

mist

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Finally Back...

Looks weird to me...if somehow you could get rid of the ends there then it'd look better. It either needs a wing...or none at all, not half of one. :-? To each his own I guess

·
Registered
284 Posts
have you considered the effects on your aerodynamics?! it looks as if it would cause "upforce" instead of downforce to me.... anyway, its not one of those things I would tamper with unless I knew what it was doing. but its your car in the end, and thats what matters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st I will respond to the techincal side of the install

1) Wing removal- Remove nuts, then using a special Snap On tool specifically designed for this aplication the safety strap was removed. (IE Death Wheel)

2) The caps are made from billit Aluminum that was drilled & countersunk for the flathead internal wrenching fasteners. The lower elemnent of the wing was drilled & rivnuts installed for the fasteners to thread into.

Simple

These were only prototypes to see how fisable it was to make caps for the lower element since none are currently available commercialy. I am in the process of getting a quote to have some done up at a CNC shop in polished & color coded. Check back for details.

Now I shall respond to the visual critasism-

1) No matter what bull you have been fed by SOA, the upper element is functionless, even at high speeds. Trust me, I've worked on enough winged racing cars to know what works and what dose not.

2) I was pulled over in a group of traffic where everyone was going 15mph over the limit in a 40 zone, after taking it in the shorts, I asked the officer who was quite candid, why me? "That huge wing you bolted on makes you a target" enough said. Now at least I'll be able to see him comming before he parks in the trunk

3) Trunk swapping. As is I can always reattach in the future when it comes time to sell. If the time ever comes.

4) New Trunk - $250 + New Spoiler - $350 + Paint - $300.
My fix cost me less than 3 Tanks of Gas.

5) The look. While I will be the first to admit it is far from ideal, it is a far cry better than the 'handbag handle' look that the car was originally equipped with. (Hows that for a masculine look)

All of the people I have come in contact with, most of whom are in the custom car or motor racing buisness agree that I have improved, but not prefected the overall look of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1. to each his own
2. for an engineer, you sure don't spell too well ;)
3. you were speeding, regardless of your status as 'target'
4. try not to defend yourself so much. you changed it, you like it, move on with your life - it's not necessary to justify your statements with claims of working on winged race cars, knowing people in custom car and racing businesses, being a "target," or that SOA is feeding us BS.

i'm ok with your decision to do it. are you?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have to agree with what Lightning is saying. To each his own.....we've kindly said "eh" after you asked....and yes, KINDLY. I've seen the replies to your posting on NASIOC. They are rude folks over there. We did nothing of the sort. So now....while we didn't take shots and name your car's look (referring to your handbag statement), don't turn around and fire at us, knocking our preference of the stock, traditional look. Respecting decisions should work both ways. If you can't take the criticism, don't ask for people's opinion.

I also respect your racing experience, but I have to disagree with your statements on the wing being non-functional. Look it up on NASIOC if you'd like...I'm not getting into all of it. In a nutshell, the wing isn't for downforce, but for anti-lift. By putting the wing in the laminar flow coming off of the cab, you reduce the lift effects caused by the turbulence created by the sharp slope of the rear window. Studies on similar wings have been done to show this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So those aluminum caps arn't permanent? I think those are the ugliest part of it. Maybe gwt a cap that looks more like part of the car and not an add on. I think there was a thread around talking about haveing a F-16 style wing, or whatever plane has the dual fins.

·
Registered
983 Posts
WOW!!! I can't believe someone can/will come up with this mod!

I like the original look of my wing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sha_zapple said:
I think there was a thread around talking about haveing a F-16 style wing, or whatever plane has the dual fins.
current US military inventory:
f-15
f-18
f-14
f-22

on the f-16, they have these little "canard" type winglets on the underside of the tail section. it is to help stability during turns...

·
Registered
87 Posts
HKS Turbo Timer type 1..?

"What the.. :eek: ..hmmm..."...was the first thing that I said when I looked at the pics...but I have to admit...at first, the back of the car seems incomplete (prolly because we're all used to seeing a big wing there)...but then when I looked a it again...it seems to grow on me...I'm actually liking it! :D It's very unique...but if I were you I'd paint the silver part (the cover you put) body color....to make it look stock and not stand out....good job!!!!!!! 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
it looks like you backed into something, cracked the wing, and then cut it off to make it even. or it just looks broken. not a fan, but whatever floats your boat... you ask for our opinions and we will give them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is an idea.. cut off the sides of the top element and mount it back on. I think it would look nicer if that wing wasn't so damn high.
In a way, I miss the wing on my MR2.. it was lower profile and yet functional.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts