IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks

Hola.
I just found a grrreat new 6min STi comparison on Kazaa Lite. Jeremy and ‘the stig’ pitted the STi against the EVO VIII and the results were close. Amazing grip and power from both rides. They mixed in both real road testing and track times. They rate the STi better overall for some unanswerable reason but the EVO better for a mental handling track car. Both cars are sick, no doubt... And they almost split the vote. Watch the vid and let the chat commence.

Track times:
Paganni Zonda (mental super car) 1:23.8 :eek:
Evo VIII (301hp FQ spec) 1:28.9
Lambo Murcielago 1:29.0
Alpina Z8 1:29.0
STi (300hp) 1:30.1
Aston DB7GT 1:30.4
MY 03 Audi S4 1:30.9
BMW M3 1:31.8
Lotus Esprit V8 1:32.5

File Name: Top Gear - 2003 06 15 WRX-STi-TUK vs EvoVIII

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Both the STI and EVO in that vid are upgraded (factory upgrade i think they said) from the UK standard 280bhp versions. I think the STi was upgraded to 300 and the evo to 301 bhp.....

But the times were biased IMO, because the driver's first run was in the STi, and he blew the biggest corner.... then in the EVO he took it way tighter, which was why the STi had a higher time.....

Obviously if he was driving the car right, he would've hit the corner correctly and had no problem...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand they don’t take the first track run and make it the final lap time. The driver has a few goes of the course and they select the best time of all his runs. This doesn’t seem unreasonable, being that it takes time to get use to each car. I do know that their driver is a professional and wouldn’t want to pick his worst run to set the time. I duno…

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm...

FQ Evo VIII:
Track time:1:28.9
Price: $49,000usd

Lamborghini Murciélago:
Track time: 1:29.0
Price: $270,000usd

Let’s just compare the track ability and not the elitist Italian super car factor…

I know the Evo is a tenth of the quality and that it gets no “whoa, check out the lambo” factor, but why Ummmm waste the extra $220,000 on a car that’s slower. Yeah, I guess if you can afford it what the hell. I’ll go build a cottage with the money I save.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: lmbao

Can someone host the video file?
FTP it to ftp.awdfever.com username and password freehost / freehost

-dp

·
Registered
350 Posts
The link in that thread don't work :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I can't help out because I don't know how to host the movie... Meh, If you have a cable connection it should take about 10mins or so to download. Its about 35 megs.

Dude, your archive is sick. I'm gonna grab all those flicks off ya.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that some people have seen the vid, what’s with the Evo VIII always beating the STi in the handling category? Every car magazine so far has ranked the Evo higher then the impreza, boooo-urns… However, it’s always pubic hair of a margin.

It’s not like a +2% higher rating will make me think about getting another car, that with the fact that the Evo VIII wont be coming to Canada. And the only other car I will consider is an Audi S4 or the upcoming 2005 Volvo S40.

Anyway, my friends STi handles like its got glue on the tires and without those sweet buckets I would fly out of the window, BUT after hearing about the Evo’s handling supremacy I REALLY wana’ take a test drive.

So far I just keep inhaling all the write-ups the car rags are publishing, anyway if I’m lucky enough to actually drive an Evo then my (future) STi back to back, I’ll post my amateur seat of the pants critique and get the low down on the handling differences. Not like everything under the sun on these cars hasn’t been said already…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts