IW STi Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
And here I am contemplating a wing delete. I get revved on daily lol. My biggest concern is handling. How much would I loose versus a 4 inch duckbill?
you may lose a little bit of handling from the downforce it creates, however, if you arent tracking the car, it will be minimal, and only super noticeable at higher speeds (90+mph)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine the factory wing produces an observable amount of downforce. Especially on a street car.
they dont provide all that much, but it's enough that at higher speeds you can notice the stability it provides. i'm talking speeds a street car would be incredibly unlikely to see. but it's there. in a straight line if you drive back to back with/without the wing, when you are going well over 100mph with slight steering input you can feel it, but it's not significant. especially not when compared to an aftermarket wing.

·
Registered
2020 STI
34 Posts
I ended up taking the wing off of mine. I like the wing only when the car is lowered. At stock height something about it doesn't look right to me. Looks about 10% too big. But since I have no intention of changing the stock suspension and lowering the car, wingless for me. With mud flaps and 18s it looks great. The STI badge on the trunk means more to me than the wing :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
they dont provide all that much, but it's enough that at higher speeds you can notice the stability it provides. i'm talking speeds a street car would be incredibly unlikely to see. but it's there. in a straight line if you drive back to back with/without the wing, when you are going well over 100mph with slight steering input you can feel it, but it's not significant. especially not when compared to an aftermarket wing.
I'll take your word for it. I mean, it is a big object on the back of the car so it's probably doing something, hahha.

I'd love to see some lap time testing.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'll take your word for it. I mean, it is a big object on the back of the car so it's probably doing something, hahha.

I'd love to see some lap time testing.
i would too. i'd assume it would be an ever so slight difference. but on track it should make a slight difference. i read an article on them a few years back that explained how much downforce it actually made, and that it was minimal but noticeable, but i dont remember if there were any lap times associated with the article. i'll try and find it but i doubt i can at this point lol. it was a few years ago. I can also verify from driving a before/after of a friends car who removed his wing (cant speak to the duckbill portion though), and i could feel the difference around 100mph or so. it was barely there, but there.

for a track car, keep it, or go with higher quality aero, pending the class rules,
on a street car, do what you think looks better, it's not enough of a difference to really worry about it on the street.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
299 Posts
And here I am contemplating a wing delete. I get revved on daily lol. My biggest concern is handling. How much would I loose versus a 4 inch duckbill?
Practically zero. You will literally lose no functionality or handling. Unless you are blazing 100mph constantly, the wing will do little or nothing for you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There’s this video that I found pretty interesting done by people who are smarter than me. If I were to guess Subaru most likely improved the aerodynamics in the newer chasis instead of making them worse, but who knows?
Awesome find and the first piece of real evidence I've seen from someone who seems to have legitimate credentials. If the data is correct No wing equals lift starting at 20mph and the smaller spoiler and large wing creates downforce starting at 20mph.

I'd like to see the same test on the effects of front lip spoilers.

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Personally, I like the wing. I think its one of the things that makes the sti what it is. Its iconic to the car come to think of it. Granted it does get annoying when every wrx owner has a wing on their car trying to mimic the sti. Kind of gives us a bad name.

Anyways, I cant say if removing the wing will have a negative or positive effect but one thing to consider, the car came with it for a reason.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts