IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the itch bad! Love the power, torque and technology. Was wondering though how old is too old to own an STi? Have owned everything from a 66 Fastback Mustang to a 250hp Mitsubishi Starion, to a V8 CJ5 that would pull the front wheels off the ground through first gear. Have the money, plenty of cars to choose from, just wondering "am I too old".
How about sharing some ages, and how old is too old....

Rick

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My dad is gonna turn 53 on Friday- he owns a Silver/Silver... :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're too old for an STi if you have to ask. :p

But really, my dad is almost 50 and he has an Evo VI T.M.E. Mods it and drives it like a maniac at times, which almost made me pissed in my pants... :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 56. Bought my dealer's first wrx in 2001 and their first Sti in May. Also play in a rock band (geezerrock.com)

·
Registered
348 Posts

If you "have the money" and are worried about being too old for an STi, check out an E46 M3. Fast as an STi, but more refined.

·
Registered
32 Posts
PT Cruiser steps up?

34 here with two kids at home and another on the way. My other car is a 68 Shelby that hasnt been touched since I bought the STI.
Go for it, have fun, drive fast!

·
Registered
65 Posts
JIC and TEIN Sale Is On

You're NEVER too old to enjoy a car that has great power, great handling, and some interesting technology. Been a gear head since i was 12 years old. Out in the garage taking my fathers tractor apart just to see how stuff worked. (Good thing i was able to put it back together).

I'm 31, do software development for a living, and feel that i am past the age of wanting an import tuner type car. Money aside, I may have bought an Audi S4. Then i drove both.

There is NO comparison. If your a car nut like me any really enjoy a car for its performance, there's only one choice. The STi is nothing more than a 4 seat go-kart.

So i bought an STi, and the only change i'm making is removing the wing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Kafn8td said:
I've got the itch bad! Love the power, torque and technology. Was wondering though how old is too old to own an STi? Have owned everything from a 66 Fastback Mustang to a 250hp Mitsubishi Starion, to a V8 CJ5 that would pull the front wheels off the ground through first gear. Have the money, plenty of cars to choose from, just wondering "am I too old".
How about sharing some ages, and how old is too old....

Rick
Dead is too old.

-st

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm 39, but I'll be 40 when I get the car.

Age-appropriateness is actually one of the reasons I'm getting it. Subes are all over the place out here, and the STi is certainly not without its practical merits.

I can understand how you might want to modify or replace the stock wing, but other than that I don't think the STi has a particularly juvenile flavor.

All things considered I think the STi looks more sedate than it is... especially with a few power/handling mod's and a wing tuck. It's also a car that can be lived with as a daily driver year round on pavement, snow and dirt.

·
Registered
240 Posts
just got 250 miles on my Blue/Gold STi!

when i die strap my body in my sti and drive me around by remote! :D
your never too old.the cars a greta balance of power and handling. oh yeah 33 :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not 40 till March! Already made up my mind to buy. Thinking either White or Silver - a little more conservative ;') Perfect car for a California "kid" now living in Minnesota! Thanks for the responses.

Rick

p.s. if I go white, I think my license plate will read WHTRICE

·
Registered
21 Posts
I turned 46 two weeks after I got mine. You can't be too old to have a good time. You're just a little wiser when you risk certain things.

Fred R.

·
Chuck taught me everything I know
504 Posts
Has anyone installed the xcelleration 430hp kit???

39 here, I just got rid of my 420hp modified 2002 Audi S4 for an STi and I don’t regret it one bit. As for M3’s and S4’s The refinement of Germen cars is great but German cars tend to leave you with an isolated driving experience at times. With so much refinement I find there is less feed back. Sometime less is more. The STi communicates the driving experience quite well providing constant feedback when driven hard. Yet docile enough to use as an every day ride. The wing grows on you and is fitting given the purpose of the car. Anyway just buy what pleases you.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts