IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to this forum, I just had a question about my center differential on my 2007 STI. I recently was at the Subaru dealership for a service and was told that my wheels were locking in reverse and with turning at slow speeds. I had not previously noticed anything of the sort. I was told it would be around $4,050 to have the center differential replaced. When I picked up the car after getting it serviced, I noticed that the DCCD was in auto and the dial setting was in the locked position. Is it possible for the center differential to be locked when the DCCD is in the auto mode or is it only locked when in the manual mode and in the locked setting? Sorry probably a dumb question. After watching some YouTube videos, it seems that when the center differential is locked, it would cause the binding. I asked if the mechanic at the dealership would be able to show me the sound he was talking about. (Because when I got home, I took the dial setting out of lock and tried to replicate the sound, but did not notice anything) the DCCD was left in auto while I tried changing the setting to replicate the sound. I just want to make sure the center differential actually needs to be replaced and the binding sound is not due to setting the DCCD to lock before I spend over $4k getting it fixed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,385 Posts
price isn't unexpected - but certainly get a second diagnosis . . .

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
if it does need to be replaced i can see it being that expensive, but from what it sounds like it may not need to be. i'd see if there are any subaru performance shops in your area and have them check it out. where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m in LA. If it does need to be replaced, then I was going to see if I could find a cheaper center diff. Regular price is $3199. The dealership said if I can find a cheaper one then they can install it for me and just charge me for labor. I requested to have a master mechanic show me the binding sound that the other mechanic heard when I took the car in last time. I’m going to take it back to the dealership next week. It seems to drive fine with no binding when the DCCD is in auto. Maybe the other mechanic had it in manual and in the locked setting when driving it? I don’t know. I wasn’t able to reproduce the sound when I was driving it and had the DCCD set in auto.

if it does need to be replaced i can see it being that expensive, but from what it sounds like it may not need to be. i'd see if there are any subaru performance shops in your area and have them check it out. where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on taking the car back to the dealership next week and requested a master mechanic show me the binding sound while driving. If it makes the sound when the DCCD is not locked, then obviously there is something wrong and I’ll need to have it replaced. But I was unable to reproduce the binding sound after I took the car home (and the DCCD was in auto) and it seems to drive fine to me.

price isn't unexpected - but certainly get a second diagnosis . . .

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
Depending on how you're driving at the time, there is always the chance you'll get some sort of knock or binding sound when the car is in anything other than auto. For example, if you're close to full lock and you make a hard right/left turn you may get the sound.

The DCCD seemed to be a nice feature but other than needing it full rear (5/95 or whatever they claiim) or full lock (55/45) for a brief moment there is zero need to drive (in general) in anything other than auto.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,385 Posts
dont think there is full front or full rear. The range is small - like 41/59 - 50/50

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
dont think there is full front or full rear. The range is small - like 41/59 - 50/50
I thought full rear was greater than 41/59 but it's been 5+ years since i've had my 06 and even then I rarely used the feature so it was quickly forgotten. Full lock I do believe is a more consistent 50/50 though.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,385 Posts
to me its always interesting that such small differences in ratio make such big differences in traction . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.