IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating buying a set of coilovers for awhile now. I've done quite a bit of research, but I thought I'd like to see if anyone has a good setup for my driving conditions.

Current Setup
100% USDA Bone stock :)

Daily driving conditions
27 mile commute one way to work, 90% freeway, 10% street.
Freeway is pretty smooth and devoid of major potholes, bumps, etc etc.
Streets are fairly smooth, with a few avoidable potholes. Not too rough and bumpy.

Expectations
Outstanding canyon and track use
Not too stiff (and I certainly know that stiffer doesn't always mean better in this case)
Smoothness
Ease of adjustability

Now naturally I started off wanting a set of the TEIN's with the EDFC module, but I am starting to hear now they are pretty stiff. After further research, the Euro coilovers seem to have a certain smoothness to them that is not attainable with JDM coilovers. However, there are supposedly some stellar JDM coilovers (Cusco, TEINs, etc). I must be honest though, I am not too familiar with the Euro coilover lines.

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for comfort, albeit as minimal as possible. The stock STi suspension is so bumpy on the highway. I'm tired of feeling like I am driving a cargo ship that feels like it wants to tip over in turns and feels like a waterbed at times on the highway.

Maybe coilovers aren't even the answer in my case, but I would like to explore the posssibility.

So.... any suggestions? :)

My car is an 05.
P.S. I'll also take suggestions on other suspsension components.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Well ALOT of people once theyt find "THAT SETUP",..they dont change it. So the EDFC IMO(not that that matters) is more marketing than anything else....DEPENDING ON YOUR NEEDS.

AS for the JDM brands, most are bouncy and after a while(4-8 months) take its toll on the driver and occupants.

So you may want to take notice of the Euro brands as their valving is better suitable for the USA roads than the ultra mistiqued JDM brands , and their SMOOTH GLASS tracks and some smoother roads.

IF you need any advice, let us know. We carry many brands and I personally have had about 16 sets of JDM and EURO brands on my STI in the past 24 months.

Myles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RaceComp Engineering said:
Well ALOT of people once theyt find "THAT SETUP",..they dont change it. So the EDFC IMO(not that that matters) is more marketing than anything else....DEPENDING ON YOUR NEEDS.

AS for the JDM brands, most are bouncy and after a while(4-8 months) take its toll on the driver and occupants.

So you may want to take notice of the Euro brands as their valving is better suitable for the USA roads than the ultra mistiqued JDM brands , and their SMOOTH GLASS tracks and some smoother roads.

IF you need any advice, let us know. We carry many brands and I personally have had about 16 sets of JDM and EURO brands on my STI in the past 24 months.

Myles
Thanks for the info. I'll look in to the Euro brands some more. Could you make any recommendations? You've had so many brands on your car! Maybe a low/med/hi budget package?

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
^ i do not, but from what i have read it seems they preform great without the japanese bounce that the teins etc will have.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
for coilovers i would suggest the KW Variant 3's. they are very comfortable, but great on the track. The Ohlins Sportline coilovers sound amazing, but at $3k they are pricey (the KW's are around $2k).

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I have no experience with the KW V3's but I have heard great stuff about them, and I agree - germany design sounds much more attractive to me, as it is valved for less than glass roads.

If I had the $$$ to spare I would go for a set of zzyx coilovers though :D but thats another story.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a set of Tein FLex coilovers that I am looking to sell if you are interested. I am getting rid of them because they are not stiff enough for my purposes (BSP prepped car for autox). They are stiff but when I lived in east TN where the roads are good I did not suffer from the ride like some people have complained of but I will admit that they are pretty stiff. Good luck with your search, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have STANCEs which are awesome for daily driving. With the damping set to 6+ it gets a bit stiff for the street (Chicago roads FTL) but when I set it at 5, it was perfect. The damping seems to match with the 8k/6k spring rate perfectly and soaks up the bumps. It's still stiff, but no stiffer than the stock suspension, but because of the spring rate, there's no more over-damped bobblehead effect. Plus it's about the same price as the FLEX, which is way cheaper than Ohlins which is just overkill for a daily driver. To adjust the rear dampers you'd have to probably jack up the car since the dials are on the bottom.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
STI-Bryan said:
Thanks for the info. I'll look in to the Euro brands some more. Could you make any recommendations? You've had so many brands on your car! Maybe a low/med/hi budget package?
Two recommendations would be the Ohlins Sportlines and KW Variant 3's. Whiteline Group 4's would be recommended if they were still offered, and Bilstein PSS9's if they were available in an 05 fitment.

Ohlins are a bit more expensive then the KW's but come with camber plates in the front and pillowballs in the rear. A very simple and easy to set-up street/track coilover. Very impressive ride quality AND performance. A very good compromise/all around coilover.

KW Variant 3's aren't as expensive, but tops are extra. Definitely going to give a bit of an edge on the track as they are 2 way adjustable. These will ride very well too. That extra tunability allows you to set them up exactly the way you want them to....if you're into fiddling with the 2 different damping adjustments per corner. OR you can have us do all that for you....;)

The Ohlins will feel like the KW's on a very good setting, and with the ability to go harder or softer with it's adjuster with just 1 knob.

So in your case, since it sounds like you are more of a street driver, the simplicity of the Ohlins may be the way to go. But both are very good and will suit your needs well, so you can't really lose.

Feel free to give us a call. :)

- Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts