IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
4.4 inch thick core? will that even fit under the hood?
I couldn't find any pics of one actually installed in an sti.
The welds are visibly bad in the pics from that ad, so I would worry about this thing leaking.

For a top mount, I've been considering these options...

A big TMIC

A cheap TMIC

EDIT: Okay, maybe they're not the fly-by night I thought they were.

Here's their website. They make performance parts for ski doo's mostly.

There's even a group buy on nasty sock from a few months ago.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Both the Torx Racing and CNT TMICs are going to be very poor choices. Both are going to be highly inefficient at what they were designed to do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone used one of these intercoolers and has real experience with them? To me, they look quite ok. I could pick just as many faults with most of the big name brands.

I can remember seeing photos from a user installation a few months ago so will see if I can track that down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I personally would go brand name... I have a Process West TMIC and my first one was found to be defective from the factory, leaking from the center of the core (Smoke test found it prior to being tuned) Process West air freighted me a brand new core from Australia, I dont see this company doing that.

Dom 1.5XT-R, DW850cc,DW300 fp, Grimmspeed up-pipe and BCS. Invidia TBE, Perrin inlet, Cobb short ram and APv2. 3080 pounds. 363whp on a heartbreaker mustang dyno, tuned by Akuma motorsports. All on 124k mile stock bottom end!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Has anyone used one of these intercoolers and has real experience with them? To me, they look quite ok. I could pick just as many faults with most of the big name brands.

I can remember seeing photos from a user installation a few months ago so will see if I can track that down.
Go ahead and try.

EBay TMIC tests - NASIOC

Some people's stubbornness will be the death of them. :lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will be getting the Torx TMIC in a few weeks and a tune in mid December. I will see if I can get my garage to run a dyno run with the stock 08 Sti cooler and the Torx both with dedicated tunes. This way we will have some accurate comparisons.

I like the design of the back tanks on the Torx as it looks like it would throw air more evenly trough te cooler. Time will tell.

Cheers
Ps- hopefully haven't wasted money. But it does look cool.....

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
You can buy the same intercooler under a different brand name for $95 shipped. Of course it's a waste of money. I've already posted the testing on it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The test intercooler that you used is significantly different to the Torx. If you look at the back of the Torx there are twin bulges.

My deal is done now. I will share some dyno'd numbers in a months time.

Cheers for your responses.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dyno won't really show much with the intercooler, the airflow going through the core wont be there like the open road.

Good luck with it!

Dom 1.5XT-R, DW850cc,DW300 fp, Grimmspeed up-pipe and BCS. Invidia TBE, Perrin inlet, Cobb short ram and APv2. 3080 pounds. 363whp on a heartbreaker mustang dyno, tuned by Akuma motorsports. All on 124k mile stock bottom end!

·
Registered
310 Posts
My thoughts are that the Torx TMIC should have less restriction and therefor create more power but for low air flows, like on a dyno, that it should heat soak quicker than stock. The additional airflow pressure when out on the road may give enough to bring the cooling factor back down to where, not only does it flow more, but keeps just as cool as a stock unit.

Time will tell.

If I am wrong...I am going to have a heap of people saying...told you so! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi guys. Put on the Torx TMIC last week. Seems to run well and doesn't appear to heat soak as much as stock. The intake tanks get pretty hot but the throttle body side is much cooler.

I only have CAI, TBE, BCSV and a DW65c pump. With the tune set to 1.3 bar I am getting 292hp atw and 460Nm. The turbo seems to be the weak link with the peak power down at 5250rpm.

My graph is at the bottom of the following link. You can also see the TMIC in place.

Dynapack Dyno Power runs --- A$80 P.WRX / ECU Tuning service---- A$POA - Page 40 - Perth-WRX.com

Fitting was relatively straight forward. My only gripe was that the TMIC wasn't 30-40 mm wider like the Process West unit as that would have easily fitted. For the money though. Very happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.