IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi cool people of IWSTI, wish you a wonderful Friday! :cool:(y)

I'm conservative when it comes to modifying/tuning my 2016 STI. My application is simply and straightforwardly to extract as much as possible of car's hidden potentials while maintaining its stock internals/turbo (mine has bolt-ons), I want a daily-driving, fun car with some spirited-driving every now and then, yet keeping a decent level of reliability, longevity and MPG.
That being said, what do you recommend me to install TMIC or FMIC, knowing that where I live temperatures could reach +37 degrees Celsius or more during summer. Do I NEED to install a FMIC to guarantee the intercooler gets as cool air as possible to protect my engine? if so, how to avoid that from blocking air stream into the radiator? OR a good aftermarket TMIC is enough to do the job?

Thanks in advance,

Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
^ What these guys said. We tested a bunch of TMICs and the stock one outperformed several aftermarket units. The VA TMIC is very good. We're currently making 550whp on the stock TMIC and temps are still decent.
Would love to hear that setup please? ;).

Registered
How we test intercoolers? On the dyno, we do a 'normal' power pull and then will do 1-2-3-4 pulls as well. Feedback is pre/post temp and pressure so we can measure temp drop and pressure drop. Plus all the other standard parameters: IAT, ambient, etc...
The first go around we were shocked at how some "performance" intercoolers were terrible, worse than stock by a lot. SO we've repeated the test a couple of times and even did it backwards to eliminate any engine heat soak variability. We are pretty thorough when we test things :)

Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
How we test intercoolers? On the dyno, we do a 'normal' power pull and then will do 1-2-3-4 pulls as well. Feedback is pre/post temp and pressure so we can measure temp drop and pressure drop. Plus all the other standard parameters: IAT, ambient, etc...
The car setup that is making 550 whp with stock intercooler. The mod list! lol.

Super Moderator
The stock intercoolers recover so much faster, it's not even comparable. I've always recommended staying with a stock intercooler (preferably 08+) if you're staying with a TMIC.

If you appropriately size your turbo, an intercooler has less heat to pull away as well. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, at least talking about intercoolers might calm us a little bit from the outgoing rants over the new 2022 WRX 馃槃

I hope I won't seem repetitive but from what I understand, staying TMIC or even stock is totally fine, despite the excessive heat the car undergoes most of the year (April all the way to October) temps can range from late 30s - to late 40s Celsius, depending on my commute from a region to another.
Wouldn't that excessive heat (over the time) lead to the possibility of "knocking" happening in the engine? This is my main concern. My pro-tuner advices me to go FMIC solely to avoid 4th piston malfunctioning, saying the climate here differs a lot from what it is in other geographical spots.

Registered
The car setup that is making 550 whp with stock intercooler. The mod list! lol.
19 STi Spoolinator kit (catted) with a GTX3576-R Gen 2 on E85. Sleeved, built engine, stock cams, bowl blend, Killer B Header, Cobb intake, and Killer B Turbo Inlet should sum up the power mods. Our dyno reads super low, this setup previously made 597whp on another shops Mustang Dyno. It's our top tier KBM spec engine, but for this car it's primarily a dyno mule. Has a couple hundred dyno pulls on it so far; more dyno miles than street, lol

Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
VA TMIC, oh, what's that?
VA as in the chassis on 2015+ STI.

The TMIC is fine. I live in California and have sat in LA traffic with temperatures of 110F / 43C before. I wouldn't track my car in that temperature but for daily driving, it is totally fine. If an OEM car component couldn't handle 40C+ temperatures, thats a different problem and it has to do with the manufacturer lol.

A FMIC is definitely more efficient and should have been standard, my opinion. But youre wasting your money if you just daily drive with stock turbo/internals. I recently installed my FMIC because I plan to go bigger turbo and built motor soon. Unless you have future plans for more, stick with OEM TMIC.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
VA as in the chassis on 2015+ STI.

The TMIC is fine. I live in California and have sat in LA traffic with temperatures of 110F / 43C before. I wouldn't track my car in that temperature but for daily driving, it is totally fine. If an OEM car component couldn't handle 40C+ temperatures, thats a different problem and it has to do with the manufacturer lol.

A FMIC is definitely more efficient and should have been standard, my opinion. But youre wasting your money if you just daily drive with stock turbo/internals. I recently installed my FMIC because I plan to go bigger turbo and built motor soon. Unless you have future plans for more, stick with OEM TMIC.
Very true but maybe (just maybe) factory intercooler becomes compromised in exceptional climate conditions, Subaru builds great cars but still not ideal; thus there's room for improvement.

Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
It kinda seems like you have your heart set on installing a FMIC. Either way, it is an upgrade over OEM TMIC. You can do it for show or for performance, whatever your reasoning, it is fine. But you asked the question and you have your answer.

If you look at my recent thread of my dyno, I basically did what you wanted. Full potential without upgrading motor and turbo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It kinda seems like you have your heart set on installing a FMIC. Either way, it is an upgrade over OEM TMIC. You can do it for show or for performance, whatever your reasoning, it is fine. But you asked the question and you have your answer.

If you look at my recent thread of my dyno, I basically did what you wanted. Full potential without upgrading motor and turbo.
Thanks bro, yeah, I might've sounded as if though hovering around the idea me wanting FMIC, but in fact, I just wanted to emphasize on the issue of heat, so that I can put my mind at ease (I want my car to last as long as possible - despite performance or looks). You answered me perfectly 馃槈

1 - 20 of 46 Posts