IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desktop themes

OK yal here's the deal... for some new shoes for her when she finaly does arrive... for starters in my opinion it's always good to get some summer tires and then throw some winter tires on the stock wheels..

what do yal think are the best.. and if u do have some of these on ur ride...holla

Summer:

Toyo proxes T1S : http://www.1010tires.com/listtire.asp?page=5&cat=Summer+Tires&subcat=Ultra+High+Performance&brand=Toyo&model=Proxes+T1-S

Yokohama Paradas spec IIs : http://www.1010tires.com/listtire.asp?brand=Yokohama&cat=Summer+Tires&subcat=Ultra+High+Performance&model=Parada&source=brand

The tires are rated , but to my knowledge customer rated so..

I was leaning towards Toyo proxes..the Paradas every1 has them and they don't look like theyd handle better,then again im no pro, but looking for all out, hittin the twisties rain or shine bang that left bang it type of driving
8) 8) 8)

Winter ? suggestions

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have driven on pretty much every major brand of tire out there, and for the price/performance ratio I cannot beat the Bridgestone S0x series tires. I'm running S02 Pole Positions in 215/45-17 as my summer tire and they are without a doubt the best performace tire I've owned. Superb performance, excellent wear, good wet handling, and relatively low noise levels. They've recently replaced the S02 with the S03 and I've heard it's even better. When I get my STi, I'll be running S03's in 225/40-18's on anthracite Prodrive P1's in the summer.

My winter tire of choice is the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 in 205/55-16. I've driven on Blizzaks, and the 2 tires are very comparible. I might give the dry performance edge to the Dunlop. It came down to price for me.

Lastly, I get all of my tires and most of my wheels from The Tire Rack. I have found their price and service to be excellent.

Just my $0.02.

J.B.

·
Registered
281 Posts
On the STi I'll run the stock 17" rims with either Blizzaks or M2s. I believe you are correct about 16" rims not clearing the brakes. What I meant to say is that on my current WRX my winter tire of choice is the Dunlop in 205/55-16 on the factory 16" rim.

J.B.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
jb,
Good deal.. How do you like those as winters? I run some Dunlops..not sure on my 535. I think for the STi I will run winter tires...Europeans do that and I really like the idea..right tool for the right job.
Todd

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got some 225 40 16 khumo's (ecsta supra) on my '91 mkII mr2. I love the way they keep the rear end from coming around as compared to the bfg's i used to have on there. they have a high treadwear rating of like 340 i think, also AA traction, and A for temp. they are quiet, offer lots of grip, last, and they are DIRT CHEAP!!!! also have a raised rim protector thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
91TB78 said:
jb,
Good deal.. How do you like those as winters? I run some Dunlops..not sure on my 535. I think for the STi I will run winter tires...Europeans do that and I really like the idea..right tool for the right job.
Todd
I really like the Dunlops. We had a really cheesy winter this year with almost no snow, but the few times we did get snow, I had to work to get the car squirrely. A lot of people figure with AWD, they can run summer tires year round, but I think they're nuts. We had a freak snow storm in March litteraly days after I got my car, and running around on the SO2's was scarey to say the least.

If I could only run one tire year round, I would probably run the Dunlops. They handle great, are quiet, and have great grip.

As far as the wheel guards go, I agree. The S02s have them, and I (unfortunately) picked up a nail in one of my tires at about 75 MPH. The wheel guard minimized the battering the wheel took while I brought the car to a stop. The tire was trash, but the car remained very controllable the entire time. Since I had road hazzard protection, I got another tire free.

J.B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, and thanks yal 8)
was checkin out those pole positions and i think i finally got it narrowed down to those or the toyo proxes T1s for my summer tires. I Read some reviews on em elsewhere and being both top rated tires im still undecided. Though still leaning towards the proxes ..afterall they just might give my wrx that ...ill run u off the road, then cut across the median, traffic stopping, accident provokin, causing total chaos and head turnin, what the hell is that guys problem... i just don't give a crap attitude that may ...just may...suit ma car..

on second thought eh maybe go for dem pole positions which give me that gran tourismo look if anything
:-?

At any rate i just want nothin but best for my baby

·
Registered
47 Posts
current wrx rims

Well if you don't want anything but the best, and price doesn't matter to you, I'd suggest Michelin pilot sports or Bridgestone's pole positions. But between the paradas and T1s, defiantly the Toyos. I use to have the paradas, and even though they last long they can't handle worth crap in they dry or wet, but these were spec 1s so I don't really know about spec 2.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
99 Posts
oops, my bad, the treadwear on my khumo's is 280, not 340. Also, my bro had some Toyo's (215/35/18's) on his prelude, and he kept having problems with the sidewalls. they would develop a split around the circumference of the tire, looked like the cap wanted to peel off. he had to return a couple for a prorated factory warranty replacement. I'm not sure that I would trust Toyo's for a daily driver anymore based on our experience.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I hear ya

What do you guys think of the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice? I checked the reviews and survey results on tirerack.com and they seemed really good...anyone used them?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I haven't heard much about the Goodyears.

Thanks again JB..

I don't have a ton of experience with tires, but I think that the Toyos really are a good bargain for summer tires..winters...I like Dunlops a lot

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have found that Goodyear tires in general tend to be way overpriced for what you get. I also find that their rubber compound tends to be very hard which minimizes your grip, whether it be asphault or ice. However, I have not tried the Ultra Ice Grip so I cannot say if it is the same.

Just my $0.02.

J.B.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Well, I checked tirerack and the Goodyears are $85 each and Z-rated. Although I can't imagine speeding at 140+ mph on winter tires in the snow...still that's cheaper than the Dunlops which are H-rated.

whoa wait a minute. I could've sworn the goodyears had better traction rating than the Dunlops when i did a comparison yesterday.

What about the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Tire Rack surveys are quite subjective, as each owner will have a different idea of what "good" traction is, or "good" cornering, etc. Additionally, while I have seen several controlled tests of the Blizzak and the M2, I have not seen any on the Ultra Ice Grip. The Blizzak, M2, and Ultra Ice Grip all have similar treads, so they should handle similarly. However, it is a concern of mine that only the Blizzak and M2 fall under Tire Rack's "Performance Winter" catergory, while the Ultra Ice Grip is considered a "Studless Ice & Snow". The non-snow performance catergories seem to bear this out, giving the Blizzak LM-22 and the M2 the nod over the Ultra Ice Grip. Since I drive my car hard when there is no snow on the ground, these properties are every bit as important to me as the snow traction rating.

Just my thoughts.

J.B.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Got my Dunlop Winter M2's installed today...very nice! I'm surprised how quiet and comfortable they are...they seem to be a little stiffer than the stock Potenzas, but I haven't really cornered hard with them either (they only got 4 miles on them)

Will have to see how they hold in snow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts