IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frustrated with all that brake dust build up on your OEM BBS wheels. Tired of scrubbing 10 spokes per wheel? Then check this stuff out. Prestone wheel cleaner with brake dust repellent. You can pick it up at your local auto store or any Walmart, K-Mart, etc.

All you have to do is spray it on the wheel, let it sit for 1 minute, and the spray off. All the brake dust will be gone!

Here's an extremely clean wheel as you can see :D :) ;)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
yeah, good stuff, personally soares Im a big fan of DUST OFF, its great stuff, the prestone doesnt do the best job on a fairly dirty rim

but it is nice how it has the break dust repellent

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scubadiver424 said:
yeah, good stuff, personally soares Im a big fan of DUST OFF, its great stuff, the prestone doesnt do the best job on a fairly dirty rim

but it is nice how it has the break dust repellent
I've never heard of Dust Off, I'll give that a try sometime also. My wheels were pretty dirty, and this stuff did a good job imo, of removing all the unwanted crap. It makes my life easier so :tup: to that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I personally never trust those spray on hose off wheel cleaners. A lot of times on the back it will say not to get it on the brakes, but thats basically impossible. They are fine for wheels but usually they are bad for the brakes. I tried some stuff like this on my brembos on my nsx and it etched into the disks where it sat. The only stuff I trust now is the griots wheel cleaner. Its just strong enough to help get the dust with a little agitation and more importantly to me it is safe for the brakes.

Honestly I dont understand why people complain about these wheels being hard to clean. These are some of the easiest wheels to clean that I have ever had. Try cleaning a multi piece bbs meshwheel and all the tiny bolts, crevices and spokes. With these wheels it is really easy I just spray on the griots wheel cleaner, use a wheel brush to clean the lip and faces of the spokes. Then use a small sponge to get the sides and inside of the lip. It takes like 1 minute max per wheel and they look great.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll 2nd the Mothers. Two bottles from Sam's club are about the same price as one from an autoparts store. I might look into this Dust Repellant.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Meh, my local source for Meguiar's was out, again, so I just used simple green in teh big spray bottle. did just as good of a job and biodegradable to boot. Plus, you can clean just about anything around the house with it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
+1:tup: on mother

soares and twistes- ur wheel is beautiful :D

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
simple green is good stuff, make sure to use wheel wax, if you are regularly spraying wheel cleaner on your rims.

the wheel cleaner may even strip the wheel wax, hell if you smell it you can get high

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
simple green- it pretty strong "soap"

my bro use that for his jeep's soft top

it make black soft top look new and more dark color black

me likely it :-D

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just wash the rims like the rest of the car and use the quick detail spray to clean em up a bit and rub a bit harder.. i dont really trust the spray on cleaners, like someone mentioned before hand, they all say dont get on the brakes etc etc but its impossible, even the tire shine foam that you spray on i saw said dont get on anything but the tire... how the hell is that possible?! Plus im afriad that these wheels can become very easily damaged due to the chemicals which detach this brake dust...

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
STidriver12 said:
soares and twistes- ur wheel is beautiful :D

Thanks bro! :D

On the other hand though, I just noticed one of my rotors is getting some rust on the surface.. Is there anything i can do to take care of the rust?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts