IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came on this article tonight and thought I would share with you folks. Since most of us will be using two sets of tires, why not know how to store them :)

It's from http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1068160208250&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196

Q I would like to know the proper way of storing tires. Some say that the tires should be on their sides, one on top of the other. Others say that they should be stored right side up, one beside each other. Also, should they be kept inside the house, or is it all right to put them in the backyard?

A In the tire industry, the storage term used is "stove piped." To the rest of us, that means stacked up. They should never be stored on their tread face.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has put out an excellent bulletin on tire storage. To maximize tire life, Goodyear stresses that tires must be stored in a cool, dry and dark area away from dirt and dust. If indoor storage is not available, a foundation of wood must be laid, the tires placed on it and covered with an opaque waterproof tarp.

Tires must not be exposed to solvents, oil or grease. These can damage the tire and must be washed off immediately. The tires should not be within 15 metres of volatile solvents. Vapours can damage the rubber and seriously damage tire components.

Electrical devices are another problem. Tires should not be within 15 metres of electrical motors, generators, heavy-duty meters, switches or transformers. These devices are active sources of ozone, which is bad for tires.

For this same reason, tires must never be stored in direct sunlight. Sunlight will oxidize the exposed area of rubber. The tires should be clean when stored, but only with soap and water — never use petroleum-based tire cleaning products.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow, how timely. I just had Conti Extreme All Seasons put on my car last night! Thanks for the info. I had planned to research this as my RE070's have only 1000 miles on them and I will need to store them over the winter months.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yup good info. I am going to try and make this a sticky, for now, in the handling/braking section since most tire related threads are usually posted there.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Cool! I'm glad my common sense is exactly how they should be stored...I store my stock tires in the stove pipe fashion in my apartment in the corner furthest away from the window and away from the heater too. I didn't know about the electrical devices but that's not an issue in that corner either...I guess the only problem could be when I cook (which isn't too often) and the oils get on the tires...I need some sort of cover then...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Gee, and my car's just sitting there on them - at least it'll only be for a matter of months, though!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it bad that mine are in black garbage bags?
I put 5000 miles on my RE's and put ContiExtremes on my BBS's.
I want to get new cheaper rims and take the ContiExtremes off the BBS's and put them on the new cheaper rims.
I plan to mount the RE's back on the BBS in about 8-10 months or soon after.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: canadian STi insurance

Are we talking about tires or tires and rims? What about air pressure if storing tires and rims? Should some air be let out?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I thought the guys who store their classic rides slap some vaseline on the tires to keep them from dry rotting is this not true? Then they throwem in a plaswtic bag or just tarp the entire car... On jacks of course

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put Meguiare's tire conditioner on the tires after cleaning them and letting them dry. I then stacked them on top of each other as per the article. I have them in my spare bedroom in a dark corner.

·
Registered
694 Posts
ss3homer said:
So that's why you have an ex-wife? :lol:
"Either the wheels go or I go!"

"Okay."

(See above picture.)

:wink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have to say that I'm extremely skeptical of the "need" to store tires in a stovepipe stack. (The other advice, avoiding solvents and ozone and sunlight and so on, is common sense.)

Maybe unmounted tires should not be stored on the tread, but pressurized tires on wheels are designed to support 800 pounds or so each for years. Surely they can easily support their own weight for a few months. Saying this is damaging defies the same common sense that says to avoid those other things. HPH

·
Registered
694 Posts
HPH said:
I have to say that I'm extremely skeptical of the "need" to store tires in a stovepipe stack. (The other advice, avoiding solvents and ozone and sunlight and so on, is common sense.)

Maybe unmounted tires should not be stored on the tread, but pressurized tires on wheels are designed to support 800 pounds or so each for years. Surely they can easily support their own weight for a few months. Saying this is damaging defies the same common sense that says to avoid those other things. HPH
Actually, if I park my STi for a couple of days, the tires are slightly out-of-round when I first start driving on them. Once they warm up they're fine, but that's only after a couple of days. I parked my STi all winter, on the tires, and it took the better park of a week for the tires to feel right again. Stacked on their sides, if one has the means, would prevent that.

I don't like unnecessary work, etc., but in my opinion this would be one way to keep the car pristine.

On the other hand, these durn tires wear out so fast, why bother...? ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
ZenBoy said:
Gee, and my car's just sitting there on them - at least it'll only be for a matter of months, though!
It would be best if you took them off the car and put the car on jackstands. That is the best way to store a car for a few months. I would disconnect the battery also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts