IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pics of sti's wit sti lowering springs??

well..i got my Blizzak LM-22's today. took my STi to a local place thats been in business for a long time and have a decent reputation with my family to get them mounted and balanced. thats when things turned really ugly. i give the lady at the desk my keys and my wheel lock. i tell her i have 4 tires i want mounted. two are in my trunk and two in the backseat. after about 10 minutes this guy comes up to me and gives me this lecture about how the tires i have have to be the exact same size and that he can put them on but he's going to write down on the sales slip that he warned me that my tires were going to cause my tranny and transfer case to blow. i'm thinking to myself WTF is this guy talking about? eventually he gives me this speech about how Subaru says to you have to run 4 tires of the same size and at about this time i mention that i do have FOUR tires and that the other two are in the trunk!!! he just shut up and went out back. then about 15 minutes go by and this other guy comes out and tells me they can't mount my tires. i'm thinking why? apparently alot of shops don't have the right machine to mount tires with a really stiff sidewall, like the Potenzas or the Blizzak LM-22's. BOGUS!! to top it all off the KID who pulls the car into and out of the garage decides that my STI is his personal play toy and goes ahead and revs my engine to the moon. i now know one shop i will never go to or recommend to anyone. if you're ever in Greenfield Massachusetts don't go to ART's tire.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I never go to small local shops w/o a recommendation for the types of reasons you describe here. Too bad, there are some great ones, but I have been ripped off or treated horribly too many times.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
well..i got my Blizzak LM-22's today. took my STi to a local place thats been in business for a long time and have a decent reputation with my family to get them mounted and balanced. thats when things turned really ugly. i give the lady at the desk my keys and my wheel lock. i tell her i have 4 tires i want mounted. two are in my trunk and two in the backseat. after about 10 minutes this guy comes up to me and gives me this lecture about how the tires i have have to be the exact same size and that he can put them on but he's going to write down on the sales slip that he warned me that my tires were going to cause my tranny and transfer case to blow. i'm thinking to myself WTF is this guy talking about? eventually he gives me this speech about how Subaru says to you have to run 4 tires of the same size and at about this time i mention that i do have FOUR tires and that the other two are in the

trunk!!! he just shut up and went out back. then about 15 minutes go by and this other guy comes out and tells me they can't mount my tires. i'm thinking why? apparently alot of shops don't have the right machine to mount tires with a really stiff sidewall, like the Potenzas or the Blizzak LM-22's. BOGUS!! to top it all off the KID who pulls the car into and out of the garage decides that my STI is his personal play toy and goes ahead and revs my engine to the moon. i now know one shop i will never go to or recommend to anyone. if you're ever in Greenfield Massachusetts don't go to ART's tire.
That sucks, but man it could have been a lot worse. I've had so many problems with places screwing up tire mounting and/or damaging the wheels.

-st

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Well, I can assure you that's not MY tire shop you went to. :p

Try a local Discount Tire or American Tire. They're usually very willing to take 30 seconds to llisten to your concerns about wheel handling, and half the time they have ME drive my car into the service bay without me even requesting it.

The Lynnwood, WA Discount Tire will forever have my business as a result of how they've treated me over the years. . . even when I drove just a Corolla with steelies and hubcaps. :p

Hmm, okay. Just checked and they don't have stores anywhere in your state. :( At any rate, I'd find a good local chain store and establish a good rapport with the management. I personally know the manager of the DT that I frequent, and it certainly makes things nice when there's even a question about something . . . they're so wanting to please that they're extra careful and mindful of everything.

·
Registered
422 Posts
STi brakes bad???

Some shops need to learn what customer service is. After an 1,800 mile trip to Montana I noticed a nail in my tyre. Took it to the local Firestone dealer. They didn't have any problem and fixed it for free. They did try and sell me road hazard insurance for the tyres, and a $236 dollar lifetime alignment. That's good business on their part. It wasn't a hard sell. They said the wear was a little "Funny". Gee, the tyres only had 3 auto-X's, 4 hillclimbs, and a track day. Their tech did drive it into the bay, may be 100' total, and he did put down a sheet of disposable plastic to protect the seat.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
crashsti said:
well..i got my Blizzak LM-22's today. took my STi to a local place thats been in business for a long time and have a decent reputation with my family to get them mounted and balanced. thats when things turned really ugly. i give the lady at the desk my keys and my wheel lock. i tell her i have 4 tires i want mounted. two are in my trunk and two in the backseat. after about 10 minutes this guy comes up to me and gives me this lecture about how the tires i have have to be the exact same size and that he can put them on but he's going to write down on the sales slip that he warned me that my tires were going to cause my tranny and transfer case to blow. i'm thinking to myself WTF is this guy talking about? eventually he gives me this speech about how Subaru says to you have to run 4 tires of the same size and at about this time i mention that i do have FOUR tires and that the other two are in the trunk!!! he just shut up and went out back. then about 15 minutes go by and this other guy comes out and tells me they can't mount my tires. i'm thinking why? apparently alot of shops don't have the right machine to mount tires with a really stiff sidewall, like the Potenzas or the Blizzak LM-22's. BOGUS!! to top it all off the KID who pulls the car into and out of the garage decides that my STI is his personal play toy and goes ahead and revs my engine to the moon. i now know one shop i will never go to or recommend to anyone. if you're ever in Greenfield Massachusetts don't go to ART's tire.
Sounds identical to my experience, but the kid took mine and floored it up the parking lot and left my wheels all nice and scratched up when they were done mounting everything.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback everyone. its unbelievable that a place thats been in business for 20+ years would treat someone like i was treated. whats even more amazing is that they're still in business. well, in better news i believe i have found a shop that can do my tires. the owners are SCCA members and have run cars in the One Lap of America races. hopefully i have a better time. in the mean time everyone pray for no snow in the northeast today.

·
Registered
524 Posts
crashsti said:
thanks for the feedback everyone. its unbelievable that a place thats been in business for 20+ years would treat someone like i was treated. whats even more amazing is that they're still in business. well, in better news i believe i have found a shop that can do my tires. the owners are SCCA members and have run cars in the One Lap of America races. hopefully i have a better time. in the mean time everyone pray for no snow in the northeast today.
Glad you were able to find something else. I've also had my share of bad treatment from many places (mostly national chain stores) and it's hard to find a good tire shop that knows what they're doing when it comes to aftermarket wheels and peformance tires. I've used Tire Rack's "recommended installers" and I've had good luck finding a good tire place from there. From my experience, the national tire chains usually cost twice as much to even mount/balance tires and it seems like they always try to pressure into buying something you don't want so I tend to stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my day just got better. the local import accessory/tuner shop is buying the machine to do the 17inch plus size wheels/tires. of course thats next summer. until then i have to settle for Tire Warehouse and $85 less dollars in my wallet.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i had good luck with town fair tire.....i have a friend that used to work for me there. i told them i couldnt buy the tires unless i could witness them installing them. i got the p-zero nero....and he did have a very hard time putting them on ...but the "head" tech did a nice job....with no scratches...and i drove the car in and out of the shop...i'm kind of possesive about my ride.....i'll tell ya tho....their not like bridgestones...they break loose real easy...less as i put more miles on em

·
Registered
134 Posts
Costco couldn't dismount my Azenis, but they were nice about it, they said Les Scwab has the right machine. Costco can probably mount all of the tires they sell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a rear tire on my CBR600F4 go on me when I was far from home, and although no shop will try to fix it - Les Schwab in Longview WA let me in, gave me the stuff and advice to fix my tire, FOR FREE! They were very friendly too! needless to say, I'll be using them for my tire needs!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Worth it??

crashsti said:
well, in better news i believe i have found a shop that can do my tires. the owners are SCCA members and have run cars in the One Lap of America races.
Now that's the place to have tire work done. We've got a local shop that's huge in the Audi performance community here, and they were great to work with. Well, aside from the owner ordering the wrong tires, and then trying to blame me for it (which I didn't take). But I have to say, that's one business relationship that I've going to try to cultivate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts