IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so I went to the dealer to get my tires rotated and aligned, they came back and said my two front ones were too worn, which I understand but the rear ones still have a lot of tread on them, they said if I only replace the front wheels that my differentials could blow out but I think that's a bit too far fetched, anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious why were your fronts so much more worn than rears? A little bit more I can understand but, unless they were already worn to begin with?

From what I've read, it seems to be true that if one or 2 tires were massively slipping constantly it can cause damage to the center diff.
Seems like BS for them to want you to replace the rears if it has tread left though...

·
Registered
761 Posts
There is a measurement in relation to the outside circumference of the tyres.

I just googled and it's a maximum difference of 1/4, anymore than that and you may/will damage your driveline.

I personally rotate, front to back at least (directional tread pattern), every 3000km corresponding with my oil change.

Jack up the car and measure, ensure tyres pressures are typlical.

As long as all tyres are wearing the same you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
This is covered in the manual or atleast in my manual. Like previously stated there is a measurement to follow, i believe its a circumference measurement or w.e. the manual says. If its not within the spec then all 4 must be replaced. But yes this is true, even my buddy who was a former tech at a subaru dealer confirms this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts