IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup doodz I was just curious what yall run on ur subies. Do yall prefer having a winter tire setup and a summer tire setup? Or do u prefer just 1 set of all seasons? I wanna hear ur setups guys and get some tire recommendations in all 3 categories. I feel like running winter tires in New York isn't really necessary....if anything ur just wasting tread

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Living in northern NJ, i have a dedicated set of summers and winters. For summer i run Michelin Pilot Super Sports and for winters in use Michelin Pilot Alpine 4. I prefer the Michelin tires due to their comfort and tread life. Both tires do well in their respected climates. I dont think id ever go back to using all season tires like i did on my previous cars. In my opinion, all seasons are no seasons lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Living in northern NJ, i have a dedicated set of summers and winters. For summer i run Michelin Pilot Super Sports and for winters in use Michelin Pilot Alpine 4. I prefer the Michelin tires due to their comfort and tread life. Both tires do well in their respected climates. I dont think id ever go back to using all season tires like i did on my previous cars. In my opinion, all seasons are no seasons lol
Agreed, I would assume ur not getting the same cornering abilities from an all season and cant do fun winter shit in an all season either

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have 265-35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on 18x9.5 in wheels at I think 38mm of offset (FastWRX crucial wheel).

Tires are basically (to me) summer tires that don't get hard in cold temps...and do great in rain and light snow. Perfect for the mid atlantic. Have used them on two cars for a sum of 4 years. Superb. They wear too well....I want to get the 4's and they won't wear out....

The new version 4 is out and supposedly is even better in snow and breaking with no downsides - and are stock on the new C8.

To me, great tire save deep snow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my ‘19 in late October, and I think it snowed less than 2 weeks later that year. Was looking at all seasons, but found some 2017 sti wheels on Craigslist with Michelin x-ice 3’s for less than what new tires would be. It really is nice having summers and winters, but there’s a crappy period of each fall and spring where I’m stuck on squirrelly snow tires on dry pavement strictly due to morning commute temperatures. During actual snow though, that confidence is priceless. When these wear out I’m either going to summers and a performance winter like the Alpins Jay mentioned, or keep the snows for actual snowy weather and pick up the new Michelin A/S so they can stay on about 3/4 of the year. All seasons have really come a long ways, don’t think the stigmas really apply as much these days (unless tracking or autocross I guess).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Should clarify...the A/S 3+s to me are like summers for street use....I don't think they'd do well on a dry, hot track...but they would be ok perhaps to learn with....in a cold or wet day they'd be likely unstoppable......

But they might do well too....Michelin's compound is amazing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
what are you using the tires for? street? do you do any autocross at all?

personally even before i started racing i had a summer and a winter set. i was poor so i had them swapped on the oem wheels every spring/winter.

i can suggest nice summers/autocross/track tires but for winters i always bought super cheap ones lol

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited
9 Posts
Should clarify...the A/S 3+s to me are like summers for street use....I don't think they'd do well on a dry, hot track...but they would be ok perhaps to learn with....in a cold or wet day they'd be likely unstoppable......

But they might do well too....Michelin's compound is amazing.
Really depends on where in New York we talking? I have a friend living in Central NY with a WRX where winter tires are an absolute necessity. Meanwhile I live in Maryland and A/S 3+ are perfect for every season but summer here. Mine did just fine in summer for commuting, but will never perform anywhere near as good as summer-specific tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having two sets of tires and swapping them is the way to go. Summer tires are amazing and sticky, like the 200AA falkens for example, but they dont last in sub-40 degree weather. I swap to all-seasons or winters for a few months, but the performance difference in the tires is massive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts