IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey any of you guys ever see metal shavings. when you change your oil ?
i use amsoil and recently found that my car uses about a quart every 5000 or so........

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
stephen powers said:
i use amsoil and recently found that my car uses about a quart every 5000 or so........

That's absolutely normal.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
your consumption is normal, but you should not see shavings in your oil unless this is your first oil change, which i doubt.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
define shavings...shiny metallic flakes, bad. Tiny bit of cloudy particles, possible. When I do the tranny fluid the magnet always has a fair amount of particles stuck to it...but then again I'm not easy on the gears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shavings are very small silver and are not flat. i guess you could call them particals. i can feel the texture when i press them.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
thats really not a good sign either, I would watch that very very closely. As far as the consumption goes that is normal for a turbo car....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Why not just send in a sample to blackstone labs? That's what I do (and why I'll never use Mobil 1 in these cars).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bearings may be going out.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,687 Posts
QuickSilverSTi said:
Why not just send in a sample to blackstone labs? That's what I do (and why I'll never use Mobil 1 in these cars).

can you elaborate on why you would never use Mobil 1, and what you use for oil?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
stephen powers said:
hey any of you guys ever see metal shavings. when you change your oil ?
How often do you change it? I thought most of us agreed that 3000k was a good interval.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
La Mer said:
can you elaborate on why you would never use Mobil 1, and what you use for oil?
Mobile 1 has one of the worse shear ratings out of any of the oils. I dont even use it in my Ranger anymore. Amsoil, royal purple, Motul and Schaffer are among the best for shear ratings...I use Motul 15W50 in the STI....

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
totally normal. I use Amsoil and have been for the past 12K miles. It's time for a filter change now. I burn about a 1/4 or less every 3-5K.

I will be sending it out to blackstone as soon as I do the filter change this weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts