IW STi Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 1964 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,921
Re: Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The road to becoming a tuner

That's probably what I am going to do next. I've had one in my S2000 for 3 years or so. Works great and I don't have to wait for features to be available as they've been there for a long time.

Save your stock ECU if you have emissions or will move to a place that does. Use RomRaider to put a tune on that will pass emissions and supply readiness checks.
They can't read a standalone for emissions?? Thanks for the heads up.

I got it because the EFI instructor said it is great for beginner tuners. "Are there better standalones, sure, but the AEM is a great unit." That's what we used to tune an evo on the dyno and seemed easy to look at and go thru the menus. Plus I got the cams "only 500 break in miles and 5 passes and decided to go bigger" and the ems for 1550 shipped so I couldn't pass that up. I am years behind the power curve but I want to get started.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,923

Nope, it won't supply OBD information. It also will not work your CEL's and give codes.
Oh wow, didn't know that. Makes sense but never thought about it. How do you know you're miss-f8ring? Because it runs goofy so you decide to log it?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,925

I recieved the cams and ems. Unfortunately the cams aren't in mint condition.

My fingernail slightly snags on the knick in the first pick. So now I am trying to see how much he'd be willing to refund since the ems and cams were a package price. I really didn't want the ems until I got everything for 1550 shipped. I'd rather use that extra bit after new cams and get my car close to running.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,926

I ended up getting a full refund and sent everything back. If those were his idea of mint cams, I couldn't take his word that the ecu even worked. I didn't want to risk it. I'm focusing on getting my wife's brz ecutek tuning software and license so ibcan learn to tune her car. Ill do it in its current state (headers and catback) then add her ID1000s, tune then install the turbo kit and tune it so that I'll have 3 tunes under my belt. I just need to get her a good wideband first.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,927

I finally ordered some new Kelford cams. I went with the 199-B's again but looks like they've updated their specs and are now 264/260's vs the old 264/264's. I wonder how that'll impact the power band with a slightly bigger turbo than what I had. I've been reading more into tuning so I haven't stopped with that. Just been busy building and fixing cars to even work on my own. I just about have all the funds to complete the Yeti.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,928
Re: Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The Yeti will be breathing soon!

Engine is in and I am in the middle of installing the Full Race reverse manifold intercooler.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

Engine is in and I am in the middle of installing the Full Race reverse manifold intercooler.

Great news - record first start to share with us Minions.;)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,930

Since everyone is on Facebook these days, I have created a page to serve as a journal since it's easier to keep track of progress, conversations, pictures etc

Security Check Required

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,931

Since everyone is on Facebook these days, I have created a page to serve as a journal since it's easier to keep track of progress, conversations, pictures etc

Www.facebook.com/caraddictmotorsportsyeti

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Www.facebook.com/caraddictmotorsportsyeti
Do you still plan to update this thread? I feel like social media can be over-saturating, although good content like your page will help push out some of the BS.

I like scrolling through a good, old-fashioned build thread, but i may be in the minority there.

Glad to see you're making headway on the build :D

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

I feel like social media can be over-saturating,
That's a polite way of saying full of idiots :rofl:

I like scrolling through a good, old-fashioned build thread, but i may be in the minority there.
No. I enjoy it as well. Structure, details, and in en environment with others committed to more than 'looking at pic and liking'.

Social media = how to give anyone ADD :(

Glad to see you're making headway on the build :D
+1

·
Registered
694 Posts

No. I enjoy it as well. Structure, details, and in en environment with others committed to more than 'looking at pic and liking'.

Social media = how to give anyone ADD :(

Same here.
I specifically go to forums like this to avoid Facebook. I'd much rather spend some time scrolling through build threads and learning new things rather than just getting caught in mindless scrolling through FB.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,935 (Edited)

Fine... lol

I'll start with the battery relocation:
I got a Billet Proof Deka etx16 weldable battery tray for xmas. It fit my Deka etx20l pretty good. I got some mixed gas and used it as my very first welding project, she's a beauty lol

Found out I didn't have the gas turned on enough but it grinded down decent. Not worried as it was a starter piece and won't be seen. I came home and my wife was powder coating it :tup:

I drilled some holes in the bottom of the tray, cut out the bracket that holds the tmic sprayer reservoir and placed the tray in position, marked the holes, drilled and mounted the tray. I had to remove the 3 nuts to let the charcoal canister hang then bolted the tray down. I cut a slim piece of wood to act as a floor for the battery so it wasn't resting on the 4 bolt heads.

I cut the oem battery tie down and rewarded it to make a mini tie down :) So cute lol I also cut the J hooks down. I sand blasted them then coated as well. I then threaded the j hooks to fit the m6 nuts.

Got a 100amp circuit breaker from amazon that fit the 0awg wire I had from an old audio setup and routed the wire to the front and mounted a stud terminal on the driver strut tower. The holes were there already almost perfectly spaced for the bolts to thread into. I also used the oem wire that ran from the battery negative terminal to the block as the ground in the trunk and just scratched paint off the body around a bolt then mounted it.

You can't tell but my Hella horn wire is inside of the fuse box loom as well. Trying to keep everything neat. I had over-thought this for so long, it blew me away how simple it was to do. I guess the stud terminal is what I needed and didn't know about it until recently. As soon as I found out about it, it was a done deal.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,936 (Edited)

I got the car in the garage and got the engine in a couple weeks ago.

Clutch Masters' twin disk clutch

I bought a Full Race reverse manifold intercooler. The way the pipes are routed forces me to relocate the upper coolant reservoir. I'm getting a Legacy reservoir so it points the 2 smaller lines down/right and mounting it in the gap around my cold air intake.

With that being said, the hot side intercooler pipes are routed through the fender hole closest to the cabin :tdown: It prevented the use of any aftermarket intake so I stepped back and looked at everything and decided to make a cut in the pipe and added a 45* coupler. It works almost great. It routes the pipe so it is routed like just about every other fmic pipe. It sort of rests on the abs lines but clears the abs support stud and the fender so it's just about a confirmed fit (just need to put the t bolts on).

The crash bar had to be cut more than anticipated but I figured it out. I thought only the center section had to be cut but the lower half of the sides were in the way of the inlet/outlets.

This is as far as I've gotten since Full Race Sent a pipe with an iat bung that I didn't need so I'm waiting for the new pipe to arrive. I removed the driver side fan in preparation for the slim fan but don't want to mount the slim fan because my luck would kick in and it would be mounted in the way of the pipe so I want everything mached up before I mount the fan to the radiator.

I was under the car tightening the ewg clamps and my luck struck. When I pre-fit everything on the engine stand, I couldn't account for the frame. I had to loosen and twist a couple of the ewg coolant lines but no biggie. One of the clamps for the uppipe/ewg has the head of the bolt facing the frame. I think it's loose enough to sort of walk it into a position where I can either use it or remove it. I hope lol

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,937

Got the downpipe and ewg's all situated. It took a while. I thought they were good but had to loosen and twist the coolant fittings then the v bands were touching the dp. It's bent really close to the ewg's but after I adjusted the clamps, it's all good now.

Got the o2 and wideband sensors in. Tightened the rest of the bell housing bolts and put on the tranny and engine mount nuts. Not sure why I removed the tranny mount nuts lol. Probably because it was only my 2nd engine pull ever and thought I needed to. Since I've been doing this for a couple years as a side business, I now have over a dozen engine pulls so this was easy to put it, aside from all the aftermarket parts and customizing but that was to be expected.

I was trying to disconnect my Defi water temp sensor to reroute it and all 3 wires broke off 🖓😠 So now I'm in the middle of soldering the tiny wires but my soldering skills suck lol

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,938

Fuel is drained, fluids in the engine are full, exterior is together, just need to install the interior. Waiting for IAG to send me the break-in map so I can get it fired up and check for leaks and do a compression test.

I did notice the water pump elbow leaking. I removed it when I was on my sandblasting cleaning kick. I should have replaced the seal but thought it'd be ok. I tightened the bolts some and will check tonight when I get home if it's still leaking.

I've been updating my Facebook journal since it's easier to post pictures. The link is in my signatue.

Here is what she looks like all dirty :)

Still need an o2 plug for the dp and will get one today on my way home.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Considering all the hurdles it's coming together very nicely. I really like the work you did with the battery relocation box and tie down. I've been thinking of moving my battery to the trunk to free up some space in the bay, this is great inspiration.

For the water elbow, did the sealing surface get sandblasted as well? If so, it probably got roughed up too much or could even be wavy, making it difficult to seal nicely. You may be able to get it to seal using RTV only (don't even use a gasket if you're using RTV).

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,940

It was just an old seal so when I removed it, it wasn't good any more. I got a new seal and it's all good now. To answer your question, no I made sure to tape off the mating surface.

I got her fired up and I'm an idiot! I put BOTH head gaskets on backwards. I could have sworn I double checked that! Oil went everywhere. I already have the manifold off and was trying to remove the engine without the turbo kit. Not happening. The oil drain line doesn't have enough length to pull off of the hard pipe. The turbo and uppipe are too heavy to lift at the awkward position so I'm going to try and jack the uppipe while I lift the engine a little. Worst case scenario, I'll fully remove the dp, ewg dump tunes, ewgs, bolt the uppipe back to the headers and bolt the headers back in just so I can get the turbo off. I'm really hoping I can get away with jacking the turbo/uppipe up. Why not just remove the turbo? Cant. It's so big that 2 bolts are hard to get to and 1 is a bolt/nut combo and can't really get to the under side of it. This is why I had it in the engine when I dropped it in.

As for the battery relocation, you can get pre-welded boxes. I just happened to get the raw one for xmas and made for a great learning project for my new welder :) it really is straight forward. The only thing is I used the negative cable that went to from the negative terminal to the block for the ground in the trunk. I made a grounding cable and bolted it to the under side of the engine like the 08+ did. It's a little ghetto for now but will get some 4awg wire later. I'm using (3) 16awg wires twisted together to a ring terminal. I figured the oem wire on the passenger side is 1 16awg-ish wire so it should be ok. I really like the breaker I got because now I can cut power super easy to the front by just pushing the button.

1921 - 1940 of 1964 Posts