IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I'm new to this forum but Im hoping some of you may have had a similar situation or may know why this happened. so here goes:

8am and I'm getting into my '18 STI to take it to the dealership I purchased it at (New/Financed) to get the wheel stud replaced (under warranty I assumed). Not sure how it broke off in the first place, but this post is about the timing belt, which "shredded"(according to the mechanic) about halfway through my 15 mile ride to the dealer, I was driving approx 30-40 mph. I coasted for a bit and called the tow truck. After the tow, got to the dealer, the "master tech" had to have a look at this new issue, and the dealer is saying this is not covered by the warranty or extended additional warranty (I purchased a pricey extended 100k mile warranty when I first got her), because I Installed the Cobb Stage 1 larger air intake and used the Cobb provided tuning module as per the directions. It was also 19 degrees out that morning, probably should have let the engine warm up a bit longer, but it sat for about 5 mins and was on its way to warming fully as I slowly drove out of my neighborhood.

Backstory is: I asked the salesman who sold me the car, prior to purchasing the mod, if it would be a warranty issue and he said "not at all". I've driven with the mod for at least 15k miles or so without issue and I don't believe the mod had anything to do with the belt failure which is now quoted as a 7k repair job (6 bent valves, and water pump)

Does anyone know what would cause a timing belt to fail at such low mileage, and is there any possible way the airbox and tune could have caused this failure? I have a suspicion that the dealer is not being honorable by telling me this is not under warranty because of the mod, but before I fight them for it, I wanted to ask some knowledgeable folks for any thoughts on this.

Any theories on the failure of the timing belt, how the mod could have played into this, and warranty aspect of this scenario?

Any technical advice would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
0 chance an air intake and tune caused a timing belt to fail.

I'd call them on this, and ask them to provide documentation how a timing belt shreds itself with a cold air intake installed.

Please post their reasoning here too, for all of us to see how asinine the explanation will be.

·
Registered
878 Posts
^^that.
Intake/tune wouldn’t cause this. I’ve never seen one shred that fast. I’d call them out and make them say why they won’t fix it. And ask them to show you the belt if they didn’t.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You may have to take this to SOA corporate to get this resolved. This dishonorable (are there any other kind?) dealer is trying to weasel out of repairing under warranty. The intake is just a terrible "excuse". Completely unrelated to the timing belt shredding.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
The fine print of the warranty can screw you, but I would familiarize yourself with the Magnuson-Moss Act. In short, it means a dealer has to prove a modification you've made cause the fault. Which it clearly hasn't. The fine print of the warranty can screw you if it clearly that no aftermarket or non OEM parts can be used.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,272 Posts
As others have written, nothing you've written of caused this.

The belt itself could been defective or damaged, or some belt related part was not installed proper or failed. These would include the tensioner, idler, guide, and harmonic balancer. What might be discovered upon disassembly.

Please keep us up to date on outcome, timeline and cost. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts