IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ohh it's the Weekly World News. Best tabloid out there. They are the same ones who have pictures of the bat kid, and aliens talking to Bill Clinton.

I'm reminded of MIB now :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, I did not pay attention to the source. :D Still makes you wonder if all the info is true, how he did it.

S

·
0 Posts
Cool, I say let him loose and put a tail on him to find his time machine... :wink: hehehee

·
Registered
334 Posts
I used to have daydreams about this sort of thing. Of course, being an engineer, it was instantly clear that you wouldn't go pick the #1 picks every day -- that would be a really quick way to get suits at your door. Options would of course be very quick, allow huge leverage, and allow you to make money regardless of the market direction -- but you don't want to draw too much attention.

One way you might go about the problem is to pick a nice mechanical investing model -- it's pretty straightforward after the fact to find good ones :). So you bring that back and just follow it -- including the few losers. Even better, just set up a trust and leave them the formula, then you zip back to the future and start using your trust. That way you can always point to this fairly simple model you're following, and even explain why you think it works (e.g. stocks that went up recently tend to keep going up (true or not, for short rebalance models this works pretty well)). On the other hand, before 1970 or so some of the information used by the models was a bit hard to come by or it was all just scattered on paper -- computers are so nice.

For that matter, if you really have a time machine, who cares about quick gains? Go back to 1932, invest in the broad market. Forward to mid-2000, take your money out and convert it to something useful in 1932, such as gold or silver. Back to 1932 and invest again (give your earlier self a grin and handshake). Forward to 2000 again and take it out again. Repeat a few times. There you go -- much more money in less of your time, and there was nothing to draw attention to yourself. For better results, spread things out a bit -- again, use a trust to do occasional activity, and they can even gradually withdraw from the market (and maybe invest in techs in 1990). For that matter, why limit yourself to the US -- pick some emerging countries, pick some IPOs, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
'cause he stopped to give himself a grin and a handshake which threw off the whole space time continuim. This caused a temporal flux which clouded his vision and his ability to forsee the present past perfect participle? Which was dangling....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This reminds me of something I thought about before. Could you go to the future to see how you are doing??? I don't think you could because so far you have not come back to live out the rest of your life.

·
Registered
963 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
This reminds me of something I thought about before. Could you go to the future to see how you are doing??? I don't think you could because so far you have not come back to live out the rest of your life.
WHOA... That's totally existential or something...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also, how could one go back in time if the time machine itself was not built yet? Paradox?

I always love those who say they are psychic or have a time machine but couldnt forsee their own demise. Reminds me of a Law and Order episode where a "psychic" made these companies millions but was on trial for a murder or some sort. Prosecutor asked him if he could forsee the outcome for himself.. haha.. ended up guilty though. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts