IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
:eek:Whaaaaaaaaat? Your girlfriend does metal work!!:eek:

Do you autocross your car at all or do any type of racing? Are the only mods to your car the weight loss plan? Just wondering not flaming you or anything.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, a lot of custom interior is on its way, its not staying like that! Steps gents, taking small steps towards my ultimate goal.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
And... If even possible too, some sort of steering wheel extension. Maybe it sounds crazy... but If I do end up finding where I can get a pedal set (or pedal spacers?) that means my steering wheel will be a tad bit farther too... so I'd like to bring my steering wheel towards me. Kinda just spitting out ideas again, as I think of them.

LATER![/QUOTE]

Not on the stock hub/wheel/clock spring AFAIK.
The stock wheel with the airbag raises safety complications with it being brought past factory specifications to the driver.
Side note;I am not attempting to discourage.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Read that other thread linked in post 2 or 3. That has great stuff that is still applicable to the GR especially things underneath the car and in the engine bay. It also gives you a reference point for how much gains you'll make with a certain change. Lots of things are still the same from the GD.

My ideas for this thread though:
- Hood. GR is Steel unlike the aluminum one for the GD. Replace with Carbon or the spec c aluminum one.
- Battery. You can get a braille, but there is also one that is a tad heavier with more power, but I don't remember the name at the moment.
- For the wires in the back, maybe you could use loom and make them look nice and neat; not sure though because I haven't seen them. The mini crowd has a pre-made plastic rear seat delete which is pretty light.
- Get rid of the stock DP & Exhaust for something much lighter
- Carbon fiber roof from is 11 lbs lighter for 1100 :)
- Single din is the way to go on the radio. Speakers way nothing.
- Carbon fiber doors, fenders, hatch, wing, etc.
- Get rid of the door cards
- Borrow some 2010 SE stuff like the non-blinker mirrors, or get Samleii's light-weight ones; drop HIDs and switch to the manual A/C.
- Aftermarket race steering wheel.
- Wheels, tires & brakes. These are huge so find the lightest stuff you can.

That's all for now. Like others I don't see the point beyond tinkering for tinkering's sake, but have a blast and take pictures for us all to see.

Excellent post.
This is the limit + seat swap,and anything past these deletions and swaps gets scary IMO.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Agreed. ^^^

I have a carbon hood (scoopless) just waiting to save for the FMIC. I want to get some carbon door cars, so I can still have something there, but will definitely drop weight.

I'm going to get a lightweight battery too. As far as the wires, I definitely want to clean those up. I want to take out the rear window sprayer and hose, since I dont have the wiper anymore, someone ripped it off :( but, i left it off! less weight ;) lol

I want to get coilovers soon (end of year) because my back end is already a bit higher than stock from the weight drop. Definitely going to get lighter rotors and eventually calipers. Might just get the AP kit, 6 pot all around... ;)

I want to get the Subaru WRC mirrors, but that will be tad bit since they are expensive.

I would be down for the carbon roof... after I'm done with what I can in a more inexpensive way. :-D

Im trying to avoid too much exterior carbon. I think hood and roof is as far as I want to go. at the most i'll do the hatch (i think thats like 16lbs saved for the hatch). I will go carbon fiber wing though.. but when i do that I will put the WRC wing on! (most likely the L'aunsport replica, Prodrive wing is 6k).

I wouldn't mind switching to manual A/C, just not sure where to start for that... so any help would be awesome!

I like my bright lights ;)

I want to go aftermarket steering wheel (heard there can be issues with that, so any info would be awesome in that area too). Probably going to go WRC style.. and get a carbon wheel! lol.

Getting a clutch and flywheel too, should shave some weight there too.

Before a lot of that, I will be doing performance mods and more suspension mods. Which really isn't a ton, mostly just headers/up pipe w/ EWG, PnP items and FMIC (tune of course). keeping stock turbo, just getting it PnP'd from grimmspeed.

Then... Work on the interior, custom work on the dash, back up/side cameras all to a monitor in the dash. and some other things as well...

So yeah.. those are some of the plans.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Also don't forget the CF crankshaft, lightweight flywheel, and lightweight crank pulley if you are looking at other places to lose weight.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks!

I did think of some of those, but forgot about the CF crankshaft... I'm afraid im going to cry when I see the price, lol. BUT, no doubt that I I'll do it eventually. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
And... If even possible too, some sort of steering wheel extension. Maybe it sounds crazy... but If I do end up finding where I can get a pedal set (or pedal spacers?) that means my steering wheel will be a tad bit farther too... so I'd like to bring my steering wheel towards me. Kinda just spitting out ideas again, as I think of them.
Does the telescoping wheel not telescope far enough for you?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
what is the end goal for the car, exactly? (as far as weight and use)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Look extremely good! Have a unique interior, also clean looking. Be sexy on the outside with a beastly engine. Just a DD and fun car for me. Realisticly... I think I can get her down to around 2950, with a 18" BBS spare (but not counting me in the car). I'd like to be in the low 2800's, but that's going to be extremely difficult, I don't want to strip her down completely (keeping A/C, getting a basic kenwood single din (lighter than stock), back up camera and monitor, custom ceiling, sides and carpet, etc). She's going to look way different than anything anyone has seen. But, I like different.

When I'm done, maybe I'll try to call a magazine to show it off... lol. We'll see how well I pull this off.

This is definitely not an overnight thing at all. My guess is it will be done by about 2013. Yeah, that might seem like a long time, but because of my work, I can't be around as often as I'd like to make this happen faster.

Oh, and power goals with the stock turbo, PnP'd (with other supporting mods and PnP parts), is around 330-350 WHP. I'm not sure what the stock turbo will max out too, but I'd like to be within a comfortable range of that. I hear that the stock turbo can also get up to around 400 TQ, I'd definitely like that to be running those numbers. Eventually, I'll upgrade turbos, but for what I'm using it for, stock is more than sufficient for what I use it for. Turbo goal is a CP30R (maybe the 35R).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You would you want to get a single din, then get a a different screen just to use with a back up camera, there going to be a lot of excess going on in this car. just go for a double din prob be lighter anyways

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, I was thinking that. But I also want to connect at least 2 cameras up, so I need to figure that out too. Which ones are good makes, as well as lighter than stock (if possible), and which ones can take 2 (or more) cameras.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Does the telescoping wheel not telescope far enough for you?
I want to sit as far back as possible, but in order to do that, I'd have to bring the pedals and steering wheel closer to me. Not sure how easy that would be, if at all. If it's too complicated, then I'll stick with where I'm at.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Look extremely good! Have a unique interior, also clean looking. Be sexy on the outside with a beastly engine. Just a DD and fun car for me. Realisticly... I think I can get her down to around 2950, with a 18" BBS spare (but not counting me in the car). I'd like to be in the low 2800's, but that's going to be extremely difficult, I don't want to strip her down completely (keeping A/C, getting a basic kenwood single din (lighter than stock), back up camera and monitor, custom ceiling, sides and carpet, etc). She's going to look way different than anything anyone has seen. But, I like different.

When I'm done, maybe I'll try to call a magazine to show it off... lol. We'll see how well I pull this off.

This is definitely not an overnight thing at all. My guess is it will be done by about 2013. Yeah, that might seem like a long time, but because of my work, I can't be around as often as I'd like to make this happen faster.

Oh, and power goals with the stock turbo, PnP'd (with other supporting mods and PnP parts), is around 330-350 WHP. I'm not sure what the stock turbo will max out too, but I'd like to be within a comfortable range of that. I hear that the stock turbo can also get up to around 400 TQ, I'd definitely like that to be running those numbers. Eventually, I'll upgrade turbos, but for what I'm using it for, stock is more than sufficient for what I use it for. Turbo goal is a CP30R (maybe the 35R).
Damn you're gonna have a 2900lb STI and NOT track it??? I can't imagine what my car would be like at 2900lbs!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm not exactly sure how far, specifically, the steering wheel goes back.

Yeah... Forecasted after doing some match today, is about 2850lbs... ha! I should track it... i just will never have time. That's why this project is going to take so damn long :-\

Oh, I should be under 3k by the first few months of next year.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Another update, Relocated the battery to the rear. Then I noticed I was leaking fluid ::eek:: so I had to buy a battery like... right there. It was a pain in the ***, I went with a slightly smaller battery, it probably took around 10 lbs off (maybe a tad bit more). It was kind of a pain at first, since I had to find a way to get the wire through the firewall with out having to cut a new hole or take my whole dash out again. Finally figured it out (top left side, behind the driver side dash area). Once I completed that, everything went pretty smoothly. Only note I'd make is, the original postive plug is connected to a couple plugs to power other things, so i left that there but too the negative (orginial) wire out. I ran the cable all the way back, on the drivers side under and behind the car panels. I grounded the battery out in the back with one of the bolts back there, then zip tied down all the cables and wires to keep it a little more clean (I used the mount bracket that the spare tire was screwed too). I placed it in the far back of the car (right in front of the hatches latch), I used double sided tape and a big zip tie to hold it down. It's holding strong so far. And that's it. I'll post pics up later, I haven't taken any yet. Had a bad headache, so I was just trying to finish up.

I also relocated the windshield washer fluid reservoir to the rear. about 95% done, just need to get more wire to connect the other plug for one of the pumps. Hopefully once that's done, it will all work. Right now, only one plug is done... and it doesnt spray at all. I'm not sure if it's because the other wires are cut, so its almost like a fail-safe, or I need to use different wire. I'm not sure, I'm not so great with wiring.

I do want to add, taking both those items out of the engine bay definitely cleaned it up a bit. I like the look! :D And took about 45-55 lbs off the front end (I think the battery is around 40-50 and the reservoir full is probably around 5lbs). So it's helping even out some weight there. I've read through anorexic's thread... about 3/4's of it so far, so any little thing I can do, I will do. Granted the cars are a completely different, for the most part I think they should have a lot of the random extra brackets and crap like that. I know from taking little things off here and there, i've had to at least taken 10 lbs off worth of stuff like that. So, I'm definitely going to continue that. Who know's how much more I can take off.

So any input there would be great.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts