IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm not really gutting the interior, just took the back seats out. And taking little things out here and there, but its still going to look like a stock STI when you look inside, for the most part of since there are slight mods being done ;)
Just playing Devil's Advocate here - if you're only going to make slight mods as you've said above, then you're really not likely to see any noticeable improvements in either fuel economy or performance.

Without any noticeable improvements in fuel economy or performance, I guess I don't see the benefits of what you're proposing. Of course it's your car and you can do what you want to it. But it doesn't seem like a project that has a rational explanation.

Just my two cents.

Gary

·
Registered
329 Posts
Read that other thread linked in post 2 or 3. That has great stuff that is still applicable to the GR especially things underneath the car and in the engine bay. It also gives you a reference point for how much gains you'll make with a certain change. Lots of things are still the same from the GD.

My ideas for this thread though:
- Hood. GR is Steel unlike the aluminum one for the GD. Replace with Carbon or the spec c aluminum one.
- Battery. You can get a braille, but there is also one that is a tad heavier with more power, but I don't remember the name at the moment.
- For the wires in the back, maybe you could use loom and make them look nice and neat; not sure though because I haven't seen them. The mini crowd has a pre-made plastic rear seat delete which is pretty light.
- Get rid of the stock DP & Exhaust for something much lighter
- Carbon fiber roof from is 11 lbs lighter for 1100 :)
- Single din is the way to go on the radio. Speakers way nothing.
- Carbon fiber doors, fenders, hatch, wing, etc.
- Get rid of the door cards
- Borrow some 2010 SE stuff like the non-blinker mirrors, or get Samleii's light-weight ones; drop HIDs and switch to the manual A/C.
- Aftermarket race steering wheel.
- Wheels, tires & brakes. These are huge so find the lightest stuff you can.

That's all for now. Like others I don't see the point beyond tinkering for tinkering's sake, but have a blast and take pictures for us all to see.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good stuff there ^^^

Another idea for you to complete the look / weight savings is to remove your carpet and headliner and replace it with spray on bedliner.

Don't forget about the plastic console and the dash. If your GF can fab up some aluminum panels, you could replace all the plastic in your car with scaled down versions. This would look prety cool and save you a pound or two in the process.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
yeahhhhhh... I just don't understand this at all. You spend all this money on the STI to tear it apart (which many may do), but not even for racing or anything?!?! why not just buy an old RS and do an STI motor swap or something, save your money man!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the input! Good stuff there. I did think about the aluminum up front, to help out.

I have a carbon scoopless Hood, just need to get the fmic... :-\
I want to do all that carbon stuff, just a bit expensive for now. Definitely gunna do all that along the way!

Well... its my car. You don't need to understand for me to have fun and make a random project for myself.

·
IWSTI's Most Banned Member
2,556 Posts
lol scoop less hood with a top mount why????

and look at how much a CF wing and fenders weigh when it comes to stock ones not to much of a difference

yea get a lighter exhaust, take out the front and rear seats which the bottom weighs ounces not even a whole pound and use all your windshield washer fluid and bam call it a day

or go on a deit lol

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You said your objective is to get the car down to 3,000 lbs. But what's the purpose in that?

Are you trying to achieve better fuel economy?

Are you trying to achieve better performance?

In either case, are you sure that the end result justifies the significant changes you're making to the car (e.g. fixed Lexan windows, removal of seats and seatbelts, etc.)?

Are you concerned about the effect these changes will have on the resale value of your car?

Gary

Does anyone know where I could get Lexan windows made is SoCal? And how much that would run?

How clear are they, I'd only do the back windows, but I'm wondering If I'd be able to do the front door windows too?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Nice I like that... might have to wait on getting that Kenwood! Sweeeeeeeetness.

THANKS!!!

I wonder how much it is though...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh yeah, and I did some more work today, dropped around 40lbs or so. I'll weigh it this week once I install my racing seats. Seats should save another 30-40lbs.

At 175lbs off the car so far... about 215lbs off the car.. can't wait to put the new seats in!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update: officially weighed the car again, sitting at 3150lbs now. Took out the carpet and ceiling (which I'm selling now so pm if interested). Took out the firewall insulation, foot rest on driver side, footrest and ecu cover on passenger side. Relocated the Ecu to the glove box.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Put the new seats in, finally. Took the PDS out of the passenger seat and put it in the new seat, it was a PITA, but it got done. I'm pretty sure I dropped around 30lbs with these seats, so I should be around 3120lbs now. we'll see, I'll weigh the car again soon. Other than that, havent done much else to her, slowing down since I'll be leaving soon, so no sense in buying the lightweight battery, headers, FMIC, etc.

I am looking for a pedal kit, so it can be pushed out a little further towards me. If that's even possible. My seat makes me sit a little more forward now, I'd like to go back to how far back I was before.

And... If even possible too, some sort of steering wheel extension. Maybe it sounds crazy... but If I do end up finding where I can get a pedal set (or pedal spacers?) that means my steering wheel will be a tad bit farther too... so I'd like to bring my steering wheel towards me. Kinda just spitting out ideas again, as I think of them.

LATER!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Didn't your Mother ever tell you: If you can't say something nice... don't say anything at all.

LOL!

Yeah, they are, I agree. But, they look pretty cool to me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I find it somewhat humorous that you removed the carpet, headliner, rear seats, part of the center console, the shifter surround is sitting all ****eyed, and your new seats totally hamper your peripheral vision....yet you still have the door cards on :confused:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I find it somewhat humorous that you removed the carpet, headliner, rear seats, part of the center console, the shifter surround is sitting all ****eyed, and your new seats totally hamper your peripheral vision....yet you still have the door cards on :confused:
This whole thing is confusing me too...

21 - 40 of 80 Posts